Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    You also get a few Walter Mittys Steve. When I was in Cebu I was told that I must must meet someone who was an ex Cruise Ship Captain, but somehow whenever we ended up in the same place he left or avoided me. Eventually I met him and got talking and realised that perhaps he'd once been a passenger on a Dover-Calais ferry, but that was the limit...

Just goes to show.
    There's a few websites about the "Military" Walts http://www.parachuteregiment-hsf.org/Walter%20Mitty.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

You live in a snob town Chiechie

After 100's of years as plain old Staines 2 years ago the local council laughably changed its name to Staines-upon-Thames to try to compete with the Henleys, Richmonds etc. Doesn't change my opinion though
    Councillors in "Staines" may wrack their brains ... but re~names will ne'er change 'em (the inherent attitudes of the native population)

Banned
    Superb Arthur

Superb Arthur
    Thanks for the rep, Ded ... I've since altered my wording (slightly)
    in order to make it better~befit the actions of Staines councillors.

Quote Originally Posted by chiechie View Post
    Is it just me? Or has anyone else (Filipinas) experienced being ignored or worse, avoided by fellow Filipino when you see them on the streets, malls, shops, etc.?

My Dad used to work in Israel for 10 years and he said that the Filipinos there have a solid community and help each other out. They even go to outings and festivals. So far in my 4 years (nearly 5) here in England, I have not met a "friendly" Filipino/Filipina stranger yet. All the ones I see in the streets would either avert their eyes or pretend they did not see you. Worse was when me and my husband went to a Filipino restaurant, everyone there looked us up in an uncomfortable way. We just happen to belong to different races but we are normal people too!

Other awkward moments includes when they keep trying to speak in English while talking to me when I can clearly tell they are Filipinos because of the accent. Sometimes I would speak Filipino (Tagalog) first to break the ice but they would still carry on speaking English that's why I gave up by now. I don't smile or try to establish any connections anymore. I know not everyone is a snob but so far the ones I happen to bump into are.
    I dont speak tagalog to my friends in public or whenever theres English person around. Its my way of respecting them being in their country. Not with emms steve though

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Councillors in "Staines" may wrack their brains ... but re~names will ne'er change 'em (the inherent attitudes of the native population)
    Pure dead brilliant!

I live in Staines
    oh Staines my first place since i get here UK.. FIRST shop i went to buy a proper boots and leggings was Matalan Staines
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

I was like that before Rayna...then I got tired. I just generally don't bother anymore! What you said is true though, it seems like they have forgotten where they came from and who they are altogether! My husband is the same, he is the one who normally points out fellow Filipinos

awwww......I wonder why though? My good friend often jokes that maybe they are scared that we want to ask some loan from them! lol!

Yup that's it Simon! Apparently the right name now is Staines-Upon-Thames

ooohhhhhh....I see.... anyways, I always return a smile to those who bother smiling first

I completely understand how you feel, but I think it's also good to look at the other side of the view. We filipinas look similar to Thai, Indonesians, Malay, etc... I think they are just trying to be on the safe side. It happened to me loads of time too. These nationalities I bumped into started talking to me.. then I bumped into one and turns out she wasn't a filipino.

Just stay cool and keep your friendly spirits up. Nothing will be taken away from you if you continue to be who you are Leave them being snobs.. they're probably just having a bad hair day. We cannot judge our own fellows or anyone.
    Life as we make it

Trusted Member
    I was meaning to mention that also purple.

It's like me assuming that any white guy I see in the Phils etc, is from the UK.

Having said what I did before, I have made a couple of good friends while out shopping.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

I always remember it being in Middlesex too but a quick search says that county doesn't exist anymore!!

Perhaps it is in Surrey then!!

Banned
    I was like that before Rayna...then I got tired. I just generally don't bother anymore! What you said is true though, it seems like they have forgotten where they came from and who they are altogether! My husband is the same, he is the one who normally points out fellow Filipinos

I did the same...only to make you guys feel at home

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    I completely understand how you feel, but I think it's also good to look at the other side of the view. We filipinas look similar to Thai, Indonesians, Malay, etc... I think they are just trying to be on the safe side. It happened to me loads of time too. These nationalities I bumped into started talking to me.. then I bumped into one and turns out she wasn't a filipino.

Just stay cool and keep your friendly spirits up. Nothing will be taken away from you if you continue to be who you are Leave them being snobs.. they're probably just having a bad hair day. We cannot judge our own fellows or anyone.

So true Purple

Worth a rep

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I was meaning to mention that also purple.

It's like me assuming that any white guy I see in the Phils etc, is from the UK.
    I must admit..I don't make the effort to talk either

Banned
    awwww......I wonder why though? My good friend often jokes that maybe they are scared that we want to ask some loan from them! lol!

The wife experienced that when ''friends'' and family knew she had me....which we all know in the Philippines means never to return

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    oh Staines my first place since i get here UK.. FIRST shop i went to buy a proper boots and leggings was Matalan Staines
    I like Staines Handy for the motorway and the airport. They've got 2 good tesco stores as well, at Bulls Bridge and at yeading

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I like Staines Handy for the motorway and the airport. They've got 2 good tesco stores as well, at Bulls Bridge and at yeading
    Check your SatNav Gwap - Yeading & Bulls Bridge are both North of the M4 bordering sheds for beds Hillingdon & Southall

Staines (upon Thames) is still awaiting Tescoisation it only has a HomePlus store

Banned
    Check your SatNav Gwap - Yeading & Bulls Bridge are both North of the M4 bordering sheds for beds Hillingdon & Southall

Staines (upon Thames) is still awaiting Tescoisation it only has a HomePlus store
    I'm mixing it up wd Hayes.

Banned
    http://www.iopeningtimes.co.uk/Tesco...ord-Middlesex/

Tesco Ashford Middlesex Superstore
    Town Lane
    Staines
    Middlesex
    TW19 7PZ

Our delivery paperwork states Ashford..

Is it just me? Or has anyone else (Filipinas) experienced being ignored or worse, avoided by fellow Filipino when you see them on the streets, malls, shops, etc.?

My Dad used to work in Israel for 10 years and he said that the Filipinos there have a solid community and help each other out. They even go to outings and festivals. So far in my 4 years (nearly 5) here in England, I have not met a "friendly" Filipino/Filipina stranger yet. All the ones I see in the streets would either avert their eyes or pretend they did not see you. Worse was when me and my husband went to a Filipino restaurant, everyone there looked us up in an uncomfortable way. We just happen to belong to different races but we are normal people too!

Other awkward moments includes when they keep trying to speak in English while talking to me when I can clearly tell they are Filipinos because of the accent. Sometimes I would speak Filipino (Tagalog) first to break the ice but they would still carry on speaking English that's why I gave up by now. I don't smile or try to establish any connections anymore. I know not everyone is a snob but so far the ones I happen to bump into are.
    Do not worry too much. You are not alone. I think majority of them are snobs. But not all! I have been in the same boat like you. I get so excited when I see my fellow Filipinas. But now, I have to make eye contact to them first if she smiled at I smiled back. If she doesn't make eye contact, I just move on and act like nothing... You can really tell kunbaga... body language. You will know if she's friendly or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    http://www.iopeningtimes.co.uk/Tesco...ord-Middlesex/

Tesco Ashford Middlesex Superstore
    Town Lane
    Staines
    Middlesex
    TW19 7PZ

Our delivery paperwork states Ashford..
    Oh, I went there weeks ago..my sister in law works at nearby hospital in Ashford

Quote Originally Posted by scottishbride View Post
    Do not worry too much. You are not alone. I think majority of them are snobs. But not all! I have been in the same boat like you. I get so excited when I see my fellow Filipinas. But now, I have to make eye contact to them first if she smiled at I smiled back. If she doesn't make eye contact, I just move on and act like nothing... You can really tell kunbaga... body language. You will know if she's friendly or not.

sabihan mo lang mabuhay..

Moy, are you sure we haven't met yet? I pass Tesco's right across Ashford Hospital on my way to work everyday

Moy, are you sure we haven't met yet? I pass Tesco's right across Ashford Hospital on my way to work everyday
    I haven't lived there chie lols I only went there to visit my inlaws weeks ago and seen my sister in law as to where she work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    Oh, I went there weeks ago..my sister in law works at nearby hospital in Ashford
    I'll give you a call next time i go there

It's a small world we live in

Banned
    Thanks for the rep whoever just gave me it

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information