Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question How do Singapore's poor families get by?

Nurhaida, 29, who is unemployed with six children in Singapore, says it is difficult to make ends meet

Source:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26349689

Trusted Member
    Things have certainly changed since I lived there in the 1950s.

Oh, and sorry to say it, but I wonder if contraceptives are available in Singapore.

Six children ?

'the problem had got worse in the past decade because of globalisation and the influx of lower-cost foreign workers who have suppressed the wages of many blue-collar Singaporeans. It is meant that the income of the poorest 20% of Singaporeans had stagnated, he said'.

Sounds like something THIS country will be experiencing very shortly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Six children ?
    Muslim ........

Trusted Member
    What, with a 'boyfriend' ?

I thought they didn't allow that sort of hanky panky.

Banned
    What, with a 'boyfriend' ?

I thought they didn't allow that sort of hanky panky.
    Usual double standards like retailing alcohol and porky scratchings

Trusted Member
    Exactly.

In 2007 I went to Holland Village, home to many expats in Singapore. I will never forget the sight of a very elderly man who was well into his 90s standing on a chair painting a door to earn a living. I felt so sorry for him .............

The elderly rely on the support of their family and I’ve heard that some are taken to court when that support is not provided.

Respected Member
    I've just spent a few months in Singapore, and visited some Filipino friends renting a 4 bedroom apartment. The place they lived in the government apartment was smart, the apartment was immaculate. However, Four nurses lived in one room, three girls in another room, and two couples in the other two rooms. One of those couples had a small child. Each room paid S$1000 per month...
    The country is amazing and somewhere I'd love to work later in my career, even for a few years, but it isn't cheap.
    We stayed at the Orchid Country Club on a special rate and it still cost us S$180/night each.

Not sure where this Muslim argument is coming from

Having been to Singapore many times, I don't recall seeing a predominant Muslim society, in fact I don't even recall seeing a mosque

Now, having just looked it up, I find that less than 15% are Muslim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Singapore

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

Having been to Singapore many times, I don't recall seeing a predominant Muslim society, in fact I don't even recall seeing a mosque

I suspect her name is misspelt and it should be Nurhaida Binti - Malay Muslim

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

It's not an 'argument' Simon...merely a couple of questions and comments passed.

It's hardly surprising that there is a large Muslim population in Singapore (and I'd consider 15% pretty large), as the island is a mile or so away from Muslim Malaysia.

It's not an 'argument' Simon...merely a couple of questions and comments passed.

It's hardly surprising that there is a large Muslim population in Singapore (and I'd consider 15% pretty large), as the island is a mile or so away from Muslim Malaysia.
    Fair point, maybe argument was too strong a word Point of view or stance maybe?

Trusted Member
    I think you're aware of my (unashamed) point of view on religion...whichever it may be.

What I was really questioning though, was the wisdom/irresponsibility of having 6 kids without the means to support them properly....something not confined to Singapore, or any particular religious group of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

"It is seen as a path to economic irrelevance because it undermines the dignity of work in a society that abhors and just doesn't do welfare," he said.

"It's an abiding fear of becoming enervated by a poor work ethos where welfare becomes a crutch."
    We used to have politicians going to places like Singapore to learn from their business ethics and planning (although our politicians didn't seem so keen to learn from other things done in Singapore which would be extremely popular over here, and one which meant we always felt reasonably safe when walking around over there).

Maybe conversely Singapore officials have visited Britain to learn how to run a welfare state, and after seeing our many "Benefits Streets", visiting town centres infested with drunks shouting and swearing during what most people regard as office hours, and after seeing the high birth rates, social instability of the estates.........well it's hardly surprising they decided it's not for them!

Trusted Member
    Too true !

There's another other side of the coin.......many of the wealthy Singaporeans are busily buying up some of Londons most expensive homes.

...Financially, Singapore can afford a welfare state for those in need, said Eugene Tan, an associate professor of law at Singapore Management University who comments widely about local politics. But politically, welfare is unpopular, he said....

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    The Singapore laws in the UK would make this country a safer and better place to live. With reference the young lady in question, six children are the problem, same in Philippines poor families with too many children and can't support them, not fair on the poor kids!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    The Singapore laws in the UK would make this country a safer and better place to live.
    It works - the scum live in fear of caning and hanging

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

'the problem had got worse in the past decade because of globalisation and the influx of lower-cost foreign workers who have suppressed the wages of many blue-collar Singaporeans. It is meant that the income of the poorest 20% of Singaporeans had stagnated, he said'.

Sounds like something THIS country will be experiencing very shortly.

When I worked in Singapore on 2007-2008 in the IT industry, we found out that what caused the salary range to become low was because of this. Many Indians/Pakistanis who went to Singapore were accepting half of what supposed to be the average monthly salary for an IT consultant. We got to talk to some of our Indian colleagues and found out some of them with the same level as us were earning only S$2000 which was half of what I was earning (take note, they have families and I was single). And when I tried to apply to other IT companies after my contract ended, they were also offering salaries around S$2000 which should not be. One reason why I returned to the Philippines because I will never afford living there with a salary that low.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

When I worked in Singapore on 2007-2008 in the IT industry, we found out that what caused the salary range to become low was because of this. Many Indians/Pakistanis who went to Singapore were accepting half of what supposed to be the average monthly salary for an IT consultant. We got to talk to some of our Indian colleagues and found out some of them with the same level as us were earning only S$2000 which was half of what I was earning (take note, they have families and I was single). And when I tried to apply to other IT companies after my contract ended, they were also offering salaries around S$2000 which should not be. One reason why I returned to the Philippines because I will never afford living there with a salary that low.
    That's one of problems in UK now.
    Too high a percentage of the labour force on low wages. Mid-to lower paid have become compressed.
    Whichever government is in power after 2015 they'll need to manage a economy needing public spending yet with significantly less income via HMRC from tax revenues.
    The top 1% of income tax payers accounts for almost 30% of total tax revenues.

There's a potential for government policies to follow the money and widen the gaps between the haves and have nots. IMO

Trusted Member
    I think it's already happening Peter.

Thread Information