Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

living in the philippines

Most know the plans i have for the future and most know that Ems would love to live near the family too,
    So what do i do , yes Bohol is a dream and could be our home too and where i want to be Ems will be with me but deep down Ems does not fancy being to far from the family plus of what as happened in the last few months about living near the sea and the earthquake too over in Bohol.
    I understand her feeling but where ever you live anything could happen and not happen too,
    I do know i would not like to live in a city or a very built up area, but also i dont want to live in the middle of nowhere too,
    Going to the phils only twice and seeing not very many parts either and i know there must be loads of places that are beautiful too,
    So what other places are they , where is safe , lots of places to see and explore but also close to everything too, remember there is always a budget
    Ems says that because she is not from Bohol we may not mix in with others who are there , i think its because she wants to be in Marikina where she grew up and knows it quite well, i say to Ems you moved to the other side of the world Ems and you have settled and have succeeded very very well

Trusted Member
    Steve, I think you need to go there a few more times and have a good look around before making any major life-changing (and potentially expensive) decisions....and certainly stay more than 2 or 3 weeks.

thats very true Graham, its ok looking on the laptop, i know we can have a base at Ems dads place for as long as we want, and deep down i know we shall do that unless the deal of the year comes along and we go for that,

My Mrs was the opposite..She was nervous about living too close to her family..She didn't fancy becoming a human ATM!!
    Steve..Better stick to your 5 year plan and just hope it doesn't become a ten year plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    .....Going to the phils only twice and seeing not very many parts either and i know there must be loads of places that are beautiful too....
    This is the weak link in your plan to 'retire' to the Paradise Islands.
    Just an opinion.

I'm pretty flexible as to where I'd be happy to live. Virtually all of those places I have a liking for are places where we have friends and family. It's also very close to where we have our current 'local' income streams.

It's a very difficult decision to finalise even for those who have spent much more time there.
    To be honest we haven't finalised. For me I'll probably not finalise until we've been living there for some time......even if it takes a few years.
    We're lucky to have family and connections spread all over the Philippines and this gives great opportunities to 'explore' with knowlegeable locals.

I'd love to live within walking distance of a beach. I'm open to province life or city life just as long as it's a happy life.

If I'm honest I have an increasing tendency to be with easy access of good medical facilities...but that's not a deal breaker.

Both my wife and myself have spent the biggest parts of our lives out of our native country.
    We both have a sense of what we want and need and how to bring the small details together.

Steve, I feel you've made a bold decision to move over.......now you need to 'design' a plan of how to achieve finding that perfect place.
    It's not just about the where IMO......it's also importantly about the why and the how.
    Don't set your heart and finances in stone until you've experienced more

Just my thinking

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    This is the weak link in your plan to 'retire' to the Paradise Islands.
    Just an opinion.

I'm pretty flexible as to where I'd be happy to live. Virtually all of those places I have a liking for are places where we have friends and family. It's also very close to where we have our current 'local' income streams.

It's a very difficult decision to finalise even for those who have spent much more time there.
    To be honest we haven't finalised. For me I'll probably not finalise until we've been living there for some time......even if it takes a few years.
    We're lucky to have family and connections spread all over the Philippines and this gives great opportunities to 'explore' with knowlegeable locals.

I'd love to live within walking distance of a beach. I'm open to province life or city life just as long as it's a happy life.

If I'm honest I have an increasing tendency to be with easy access of good medical facilities...but that's not a deal breaker.

Both my wife and myself have spent the biggest parts of our lives out of our native country.
    We both have a sense of what we want and need and how to bring the small details together.

Steve, I feel you've made a bold decision to move over.......now you need to 'design' a plan of how to achieve finding that perfect place.
    It's not just about the where IMO......it's also importantly about the why and the how.
    Don't set your heart and finances in stone until you've experienced more

Just my thinking
    A lot of thought gone into what you say!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    My Mrs was the opposite..She was nervous about living too close to her family..She didn't fancy becoming a human ATM!!
    Steve..Better stick to your 5 year plan and just hope it doesn't become a ten year plan!!
    it will be 5 years maybe a few months after but never, NEVER 10 years

i understand what you are saying Peter and also the rest of the gang too,

I am for sure going to retire from work at 60 and we are going to the phils also, but where who knows.

Its going to be an adventure for us both, for me a brand new start in another place that i dont know and have to rely on Ems for everything at the start, but also for Ems, back to a place she called home, sharing it not just with her family but taking care of me too

Thread Information