Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Reunited 6 of Britain's greatest steam engines

One for Terpe

Reunited one last time - six of Britain's greatest steam engines including world record holder Mallard and its five surviving sister locomotives

• Six A4 class locomotive brought together to celebrate Mallard's steam speed world record 75 years ago
    • Mallard reached 126mph on the East Coast line near Peterborough in 1938, a record which still stands
    • More than 50,000 people have so far visited the six engines which are at the National Railway Museum
    • Other engines are Sir Nigel Gresley, Union of South Africa, Bittern, Dominion of Canada and Dwight D. Eisenhower

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2u3OA9EHH

A prime example of British engineering briiliance

a grand day out

Trusted Member
    Wonderful pictures !

I was able to hear them chuffing and whistling from my house, when they were down in York.

Must go and have a look !

Banned
    streaks !

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    One for Terpe

Reunited one last time - six of Britain's greatest steam engines including world record holder Mallard and its five surviving sister locomotives

A prime example of British engineering briiliance
    Another great link full of great photos.....cheers.

Actually I'd already made a visit to the National Railway Museum last August.
    Absolutely fantastic too

Respected Member
    Brilliant!

Banned
    Mallard steam train exhibition secures Hornby place in Arts and Business Awards shortlist

Model railway manufacturer Hornby and the National Railway Museum have been shortlisted for a major business award after they reunited Britain’s greatest steam engines for one last time to commemorate a bygone age of steam travel.

Around 50,000 people from around the world flocked to the National Railway Museum in Shildon, County Durham in February for a unique chance to see Mallard, one of Sir Nigel Gresley’s streamlined A4 4–6–2 Pacific Class locomotives displayed with her five surviving sister A4 locomotives.

The effort to bring together the six 100-ton steam locos, which were lined up side-by-side for a week-long display named the Great Goodbye, was sponsored by Hornby and the museum.

The A4 class locomotives were built in the Thirties to haul the fastest express passenger trains from London to York, Newcastle and Edinburgh. Nicknamed Streaks due to their speed and sleek lines, they were the pride of Britain's railways.

With their revolutionary design inspired by Bugatti race cars, they were the first of their kind to speed along the tracks at 90 to 100mph, 25mph faster than their predecessors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/1...shortlist.html

I doubt if it will win too much of an expression of patriotism for the bleeding hearts who will be judging

Banned
    Iconic A4 Class locomotive Bittern steams over historic viaduct in stunning image recalling Britain's prestigious engineering past

• The 4464 Bittern is one of 35 A4 locomotives designed by Sir Nigel Gresley in the 1930s but only six now remain
    • Gleaming steam train is pictured on a rare outing travelling over the 43 arches of the Yarm Viaduct, Stockton-on-Tees
    • Bittern is now on its way to the North Yorkshire Railway to take part in this year's Steam Gala Weekend

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2zjoBlLtc
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Trusted Member
    Was that today ?

Well me...I was sitting admiring those very arches this afternoon, sitting in the traffic on Yarm High Street.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Was that today ?

Well me...I was sitting admiring those very arches this afternoon, sitting in the traffic on Yarm High Street.
    Todays Mail so I think it was Tuesday

Trusted Member
    Ah, ok.

Well really I'm spoilt anyway, with having the National Railway Museum just down the road.

Banned
    Nice pics shame they couldn't match it up with some blue carriages. I remember a few years ago being in stationary traffic by a bridge in Guildford and the Flying Scotsman came over slowing down to stop at the station

Trusted Member
    One of my uncles was a chef on the Flying Scotsman in its heyday. (He lived in London)

Thread Information