Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Help! What date to put on application? (intended date of departure)

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I understand we can apply for a spouse visa 3 months prior to intended date of departure. Upon checking visa processing times, 100% of applications has been approved in just 60 days. In connection with this:

1. Can we put intended date of departure 2 months after submitting the application? If so,
    2. What if it took more than 2 months for them to make a decision, what date will they put on visa validity?

Thanks very much!

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinzky19 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I understand we can apply for a spouse visa 3 months prior to intended date of departure. Upon checking visa processing times, 100% of applications has been approved in just 60 days. In connection with this:

1. Can we put intended date of departure 2 months after submitting the application? If so,
    2. What if it took more than 2 months for them to make a decision, what date will they put on visa validity?

Thanks very much!
    Such a perfect question, I was about to ask this as I will be applying for my Fiancee visa mid March. Let's both wait for the informative answers, people here are the best to ask to!

Quote Originally Posted by tinzky19 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks very much!
    In that case then visa 'start date' will be the date on which the visa is issued. Means no advance date.

Usually there's no major problems datewise as the initial visa validity given is 33 months from the visa start date. This gives a 3 month 'buffer' period as the next visa application will be shortly before 30 months living in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    In that case then visa 'start date' will be the date on which the visa is issued. Means no advance date.

Usually there's no major problems datewise as the initial visa validity given is 33 months from the visa start date. This gives a 3 month 'buffer' period as the next visa application will be shortly before 30 months living in UK
    Thank you Terpe,

As what I understood on your reply, they will be the one who will decide the start of visa's validity correct?

In my case, I will be submitting my application probably March 22, 2014. Since it has maximum of three months time frame, is it safe if I could just put any day first week of May as my intended date of travel? Or it doesnt matter if I will put anyday last week of April? What do you think? Then my wedding in June?

Scheduling of this is one of the hard stuff here haha.

Respected Member
    Hello Jen,
    I think I can relate to this even if we have a different kind of visa.

I submitted my application--Jan 30,
    What I put as my intended date of travel is
    March 1. My wedding date is in April.
    When I got my visa the validity starts on Feb 2, but I got it Feb 11..
    Kinda insane

Jen, it's not an exact science by any means.
    It's a risk to fix any specific dates until after the visa has been issued. Definitely don't buy a non-refundable, non-flexible air-ticket to the UK until you have actually received your visa.

UKBA stipulates that visa application can be made up to a maximum 3 months of your stated intended date of travel.
    In other words, the visa validity start date cannot be more than 3 months advanced of the date of application and you're right, in that within these general parameters UKBA decide the actual start date.

Current Settlement Visa processing times for December 2013 show:-

5 days = 6%
    10 days = 25%
    15 days = 40%
    40 days = 78%
    60 days = 100%

(5 days = 1 week)

Visa's leading to settlement (spouse/fiancee etc) will have a validity duration of 33 months from the visa start date.
    You can enter UK at any time after the visa start date but not before.
    The key is to be sure you enter and still have visa validity of 30 months otherwise it'll mean an additional costly visa just to meet the 30 month qualifying residential
    period.

Based on December stats if you submitted the application say March 22 you could expect a decision at anytime up to June 22
    I guess on average that end of May time would seem most likely.

Highly unpredictable

Wow guys, thank you for these! I am taking down notes! I have to be careful really really careful about this now. yay!

Thread Information