Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

No longer able to deposit partnership docs wd GRO

From 1 January 2014, British nationals overseas will no longer be able to deposit foreign marriage or civil partnership documents with the General Register Office (GRO).

From 1 January 2014 the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) will discontinue its service of depositing foreign marriage and civil partnership certificates with the General Register Offices in the UK.
    British nationals overseas will need to make their own arrangements for the safekeeping of these certificates, as they do for other important documents
    Why has the decision been made to stop this service?

This change is being introduced as part of our 2013-16 Consular Strategy. As the strategy makes clear, Consular Excellence is about high-quality, modern, cost effective and efficient support to British Nationals overseas.
    This change will help make better use of our scarce resources and modernise the way we deliver these services. This will allow us to concentrate on front-line consular work, providing more support to our vulnerable customers including, for example, minors, the elderly, people with mental health problems, and victims of serious crime abroad.
    There is no legal requirement to deposit your foreign marriage or civil partnership certificate with the GRO, or to have your marriage/civil partnership recorded in the UK. The deposit of a foreign certificate does not make the marriage legal in the UK, nor does it ‘recognise’ the marriage as a valid one.
    The validity in UK law of a marriage or civil partnership contracted in a foreign country is in no way affected by its having been, or not having been, recorded in the UK.
    For further information please see our Q & A document (MS Word Document, 19.1KB) .

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...overseas-brits

I would advise those getting married in the Phils to get numerous certified copies made of your marriage cirtificates. Be prepared for the unexpected

Trusted Member
    The usual pc bull**** which could have been expressed in four words..."because we're cutting costs".

Luckily it's easy and cheap to get the latest 'security paper' issue from NSO if needed.
    All done online too.

If your marriage took place in the phils & your wife has ILR in the uk could you get re married in the uk or would it have to be a renewell of vows?

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Luckily it's easy and cheap to get the latest 'security paper' issue from NSO if needed.
    All done online too.
    You got a link for that Peter?

From my experience, nothing is quick and easy when it comes to processing paperwork in the Phil

My good lady mistakenly on purpose took all those documents with her. According to my solicitor there would of been a lengthy delay getting a copy from the Philippine authorities not to mention the cost.

Luckily I registered it with the GRO..Ordered on the Friday..arrived on Monday. House prices are on the up. The D can't come soon enough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    If your marriage took place in the phils & your wife has ILR in the uk could you get re married in the uk or would it have to be a renewell of vows?
    You could get your marriage blessed here Stevie. Same as a wedding shindig but, without the 'I pronounce you both as man and wife' business.

You only get married to the same lady once unless, you get divorced in the interim. Your wife's passport will show she's on a Spouse Visa....That could give the game away

Thanks mark i thought that may be the case?

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    Thanks mark i thought that may be the case?
    Stay posted Stevie..I could be corrected any moment Always best the intentions.

Thread Information