Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar

Immigration Minister Mark Harper quits over cleaner's visa

Immigration minister Mark Harper has resigned from the government after it emerged his cleaner did not have permission to work in the UK.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26101442

---

What a joke eh???
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Classic - you'd think he'd have been more careful particularly as Labour's Attorney General Baroness Scotland got fined £5k for the same offence in 2009, she didn't have the common decency to resign though.

It added there was "no suggestion" the 43-year-old Conservative MP for the Forest of Dean had "knowingly employed an illegal immigrant".
    does he know the law
    i wonder if he will get a £10k fine

not the only one, at least this guy had a fake passport
    http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...0207054032.htm
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Come off it guys it was a genuine mistake.

You really couldn't make it up

It's a disgrace........
    and yes joe, by rights and in fairness he should be slapped a £10k fine unless he can prove he made the appropriate checks. Which he obviously didn't

What a pratt!

Or I wonder what he was paying, the going rate?

I wonder if he kept copies of her passport in 2007 and 2012 , why would they need ILR , she must have had an NI number

"Mark Harper offered his resignation after he was informed that his cleaner did not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom, despite having shown him documents claiming she did.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/458...igrant-cleaner
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    I have sympathy for the guy, however, it proves that a country cannot have a law that makes every employer and landlord responsible when they employ an illegal or rent to them, when even the Minister cannot understand the law /have the time to make all the checks, or cannot be bothered to do so.

Farcical !

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

It's a disgrace........
    and yes joe, by rights and in fairness he should be slapped a £10k fine unless he can prove he made the appropriate checks. Which he obviously didn't

What a pratt
    You said it for me Peter, plus, these situations could be avoided if (with all all due respect to our Filipina board members) such people didn't seek to employ 'cheap labour', rather than employing a local at a sensible rate of pay...given that the former Minister was hardly on the breadline.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    You said it for me Peter, plus, these situations could be avoided if (with all all due respect to our Filipina board members) such people didn't seek to employ 'cheap labour', rather than employing a local at a sensible rate of pay...given that the former Minister was hardly on the breadline.
    Graham he did not pay the cleaner, the taxpayer did. So it did not happen because he wanted to employ 'cheap labour.'

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Graham he did not pay the cleaner, the taxpayer did. So it did not happened because he wanted to employ 'cheap labour.'
    Not so sure.

has resigned after learning that his private cleaner for seven years did not have permission to work in the UK.
    "In retrospect, I should have checked more thoroughly," he conceded to Cameron. After being unable to locate some of the cleaner's documentation,
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...nister-resigns

exchange of letters between Harper and David Cameron:
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeeh...-over-cleaner/

Respected Member
    Joe, I was quoting what (I am sure) I heard on the BBC or Sky News this morning. They/I might be wrong.

But the point I was initially making was that it should not be for the employer to ensure the law is being respected and be legally liable if it is not.

I this case. I really do not believe that a Government Minster (whom we pay to take care of the country's bigger problems) should have to be concerned with a part time cleaner.

Trusted Member
    Also makes one wonder how these people get National Insurance numbers, PAYE numbers, etc.

Something is seriously amiss in our government departments I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

What a pratt
    Exactly! Words fail me, how the blazes can HE amongst anyone get this wrong? It's like the chief of police not realising he'd need a warrant to enter a property, or a telephone engineer not knowing what all those funny wires on top of wooden poles are for

Respected Member
    Iani, Sorry not the same as a Police Chief etc, you are referring to their jobs. It is not their job (or should not be) that an employer/landlord must enforce the laws on immigration. Isn't that what the Border Agency is for ?

Trusted Member
    It's simply a matter of being vigilant and using proper procedures...whoever is involved.

It's called DOING YOUR JOB !

Let's hope our security services aren't as lax.

Respected Member
    It's called DOING YOUR JOB

Graham, that was the point I was trying to make, it is the job of The Border Agency, it should not now be also the job (unpaid) of a prospective employer or landlord. Rather like making the landlord or employer responsible if a person uses drugs, or does something else illegal, on one's premises.

The law (or is it proposed law) is wrong.

Trusted Member
    We ALL have individual responsibility !

Too many people passing the buck in this country already, and too many people taking advantage of loopholes and apathy...including greedy landlords. I have no sympathy for them, or employers.

Checking someone's right to be in this country is not rocket science, whether or not the UKBA have let someone pass through the (threadbare) net.

Banned
    At least he had the common decency to resign unlike Ministers in the previous Government (and it's remnants like quangocrat Lord Smith) who are supreme blame dodgers.

I've been asked a couple of times to bring my passport in, as everyone has where i work to prove we have a right to work, in most cases its pretty straight forward as most of us are British citizens, some might have ILR, the only time it might be a bit tricky is if they are on a spouse visa, FLR or a student visa, where this visa could expire, but then its not difficult for someone in personnel dept to make a note in their diary\outlook etc the date someone's visa has expired and to check their status again.

he claims he did everything he could, then he states
    In retrospect, I should have checked more thoroughly," he conceded to Cameron. After being unable to locate some of the cleaner's documentation,

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    At least he had the common decency to resign unlike Ministers in the previous Government (and it's remnants like quangocrat Lord Smith) who are supreme blame dodgers.
    Immigration Minister had 'no choice' but to resign

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-...but-to-resign/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Immigration Minister had 'no choice' but to resign
    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-...but-to-resign/

Baroness Scotland was appointed by Gordon Brown to be the government’s chief legal adviser. Prior to becoming Attorney General she worked as a minister in the Home Office, cracking down on illegal migrants and imposing tougher penalties on business and individuals who employ them was passed.

http://order-order.com/2009/09/17/ba...ed-and-copied/

Labour ethnic persons who are above the law never fall on their swords

Trusted Member
    Would the same pathetic excuses be acceptable to a police officer or a court of law, if your car insurance policy was found to be out of date, not covering you for business use, etc ? I think not.

Id see a doctor if I was you Ded. You keep going into the past. Sign of dementia mate. . We are talking about now this guy is a disgrace he should be fined double after all it was is the Tories who keep (HARPING) on about the rules of immigration.

Trusted Member
    I have no party affiliations on this.

IMO, incompetent fools have no place in government or Parliament, and certainly no right to lecture the rest of us.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Id see a doctor if I was you Ded. You keep going into the past. Sign of dementia mate... We are talking about now this guy is a disgrace he should be fined double after all it was is the tories who keep (HARPING) on about the rules of immingaration.
    Just reinforcing the fact Andy that he's done the honourable thing and resigned unlike "Baroness" Scotland who's probably swigging cocktails in Manhattan now on UN expenses with her pal "Baroness" Amos - both fine upstanding women of the people

Trusted Member
    Agree with you on the Baronesses Dedworth. Hypocrisy, social climbing, low morals and parasitism at its worst.

Banned
    Amos has never had a proper job in her life - councils, equal opportunities commission, various publicly funded quangocrat type positions. In the same mould as that vile apparatchik Baroness Ashton and the Kinnocks, still as a fellow comrade Andy's OK with them living the high life on his taxes

Respected Member
    incompetent fools have no place in government or Parliament, and certainly no right to lecture the rest of us.

FOR RENT, large building on the north bank of the Thames, two large halls plus many other offices, vacant possession guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Just reinforcing the fact Andy that he's done the honourable thing and resigned unlike "Baroness" Scotland who's probably swigging cocktails in Manhattan now on UN expenses with her pal "Baroness" Amos - both fine upstanding women of the people
    Honourable! ,

He was behind the Government's controversial "go home" vans which were a series of marked vans which drove around areas with signs such as "Here Illegally? Go Home or Risk Arrest."

The campaign was widely criticised by many politicians on both sides of the political spectrum, and ministers later scrapped the scheme.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...lly.1391874170

I bet Cameron didn't ask him to reconsider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information