Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

building your place

I am sure i have said this before but i cant find it and so here i go again,
    Building your dream home over in the phils,
    There are some new industrial units being built across from us and its got me wondering, a steel frame and insulated roof panels and insulated side panels too, a nice coloured green and it does look very good, you can fill the unit how ever you want too, and even cut out more windows and so on, so is this something that could be done over there, steel frame buildings , what are your thoughts

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Of course!

Respected Member
    Im sure most barangay captains would take an instant dislike to it

I would not want to get any kind of building work done over there because as soon as they find out that your a "whitey" then the price is going to be high including purchasing any building materials

Its not impossible of course and many have probably even done it already

It just sounds like a lot of hassle to me and i hate being ripped off.......

Just find a cheap place and rent it would be my advice and a lot less aggravation

Yes, steel framed homes can be built in the Philippines. The charity Habitat build around 100 homes last year not far from where we live. I think the frames were imported and not built here in the Philippines.
    Cost wise i think it would still cheaper to build a concrete house, as you would struggle to find a kit house made locally.

You could ask these guys for a quote and keep working for another 100 pay checks past your deadline
    http://americanhomebuilder.atspace.tv/philippines/

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Im sure most barangay captains would take an instant dislike to it
    I would not want to get any kind of building work done over there because as soon as they find out that your a "whitey" then the price is going to be high including purchasing any building materials
    Its not impossible of course and many have probably even done it already
    It just sounds like a lot of hassle to me and i hate being ripped off.......

Just find a cheap place and rent it would be my advice and a lot less aggravation
    Why should you worry about the barangay captain Last time we built anything, it was the municipal engineer who issued the building permit.

If you are proactive there is no need to pay more than a filipino when buying building materials. In fact there is no need to pay more for any goods.

I would certainly use steel in the roofing area and hollow blocks elsewhere, mainly due to the termite problem we had when we built our place in Zambales. Regarding pricing of materials, we had no problem with differences, they may try but once you put them right things are fine...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Why should you worry about the barangay captain Last time we built anything, it was the municipal engineer who issued the building permit.

If you are proactive there is no need to pay more than a filipino when buying building materials. In fact there is no need to pay more for any goods.
    Permit provided means very little over there
    If the local Captain is a not paid off well then you will get many problems
    Whitey coming in and building some strange looking structure is going to go down like a lead balloon

I cant buy an ice cream over there without being ripped off and you are implying that building your own house is going to be a walk in the park

Permit provided means very little over there
    If the local Captain is a not paid off well then you will get many problems
    Whitey coming in and building some strange looking structure is going to go down like a lead balloon

I cant buy an ice cream over there without being ripped off and you are implying that building your own house is going to be a walk in the park
    You seem to know a lot about the subject. How many houses have you built in the Philippines? You shouldn't always listen to hearsay and whatever you have read online

Building our properties was fairly straightforward and the Captain never received a peso.

You seem to know a lot about the subject. How many houses have you built in the Philippines? You shouldn't always listen to hearsay and whatever you have read online

Building our properties was fairly straightforward and the Captain never received a peso.
    Nice one Jake!

Respected Member

I know enough about the Philippines to know that building any house over there is not going to be a cakewalk like you imply!

I know enough about the Philippines to know that building any house over there is not going to be a cakewalk like you imply!
    We have built 4 properties here and one still under construction..

Its a catwalk.. Or at least it has been for us so far..

Before buying materials you should check every hardware in town and go for the cheapest price..Its really not that hard.

In regards renting instead of buying.. I worked out last week that if I had rented a house the same as the one we built it would have been paid for in 6 years.. we have been here nearly 7 years this trip so I`m quids in and never have to pay rent again..

I do take your point though..It suits some better to rent, depending on their situation etc etc.

I know a number of people that have settled into rentals here for 3/4 years thinking they will live there forever..They do all kinds of repairs and improvements and then guess what happens?

They are given 2 weeks notice!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We have built 4 properties here and one still under construction..

Its a catwalk.. Or at least it has been for us so far..

Before buying materials you should check every hardware in town and go for the cheapest price..Its really not that hard.

In regards renting instead of buying.. I worked out last week that if I had rented a house the same as the one we built it would have been paid for in 6 years.. we have been here nearly 7 years this trip so I`m quids in and never have to pay rent again..

I do take your point though..It suits some better to rent,depending on their situation etc etc.

I know a number of people that have settled into rentals here for 3/4 years thinking they will live there forever..They do all kinds of repairs and improvements and then guess what happens?

They are given 2 weeks notice!!
    Food for thought!

indeed its food for thought, just find me that lot that i would be happy with, there will be a drink in it for the boys who find it

If you buy a lot here, check during or after heavy rain.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    If you buy a lot here, check during or after heavy rain.
    Yes, good point!

if you buy a place here too

Thread Information