Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Should Smacking Children Be Illegal?

I say yes. Violence never solves anything. Locking them in a dark cellar with the 'monsters' always worked for me
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Do gooders again. Bring back the cane in schools.

"Wait till your father gets home" and then the belt never did me any harm

I'm sure some on here will disagree

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Do gooders again. Bring back the cane in schools.
    I agree Andy, also Discipline at home!

100% agree, not beating but a well timed smack on the legs stops them in their track.It's the shock effect.

all this namby pamby talk to your child crap dies not work.

Its backward if you ask me. You discipline your kids at home and they are let to run riot at school. Next thing you know they bring back a card with the childline number on it.. My youngest did this years ago. I said phone them. Meanwhile I will be upstairs packing your bags. Obviously she didnt phone them and turned out to be a credit to me.

I phoned Childline once, but they told me in no uncertain terms that they didn't do trade-ins!!

So long as the child gets plenty of love I don't see anything wrong with it. Emotional neglect is far more harmful than getting smacked, something a lot of people fail to realise.

a shout from me use to work , but in the real word these days, when you see kids screaming and shouting and rolling around on the floor, well i dont know, each to there own you should know your own child and what you could do

I agree that statement steve. You need to know your kids.. And let them know the rules. You can give plenty of love to kids but there is a line which they dont cross and they need to know that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I say yes. Violence never solves anything. Locking them in a dark cellar with the 'monsters' always worked for me
    Thought it was illegal already ..I can remember my daughter coming home from school as a 5 year old back in 1988. We were all sat at the table quietly having dinner (this doesn't happen nowadays) all of a sudden Emma blurts out for no reason whatsoever..'if you hit me I'll report you to the NSPCC and tell my teacher' The kids were well versed even then.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I agree Andy, also Discipline at home!
    does that also apply to your misses too ?

i take all of you in favour also 'smacked' your kids ? and did your parents 'smack you'

i've got 2 kids and a stepkid, me or the misses have never needed to 'smack' them or give them a beating
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Thought it was illegal already ..I can remember my daughter coming home from school as a 5 year old back in 1988. We were all sat at the table quietly having dinner (this doesn't happen nowadays) all of a sudden Emma blurts out for no reason whatsoever..'if you hit me I'll report you to the NSPCC and tell my teacher' The kids were well versed even then.
    If my kids had ever come home from school and said that to me they would have got a good whack!

good kids are taught to report abuse, pity some didn't and it cost them their life, funny my kids have never said that
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    good kids are taught to report abuse, pity some didn't and it cost them their life, funny my kids have never said that
    That's right, well looked after kids aren't afraid. My younger sister and I were never beaten but our much older siblings were. Didn't do them any harm. .all ended up with good jobs families and homes. We all have respect for our parents unlike what I witnessed over the Xmas period. .nieces and nephews using 4 letter words in front of their parents. ..caused a row, I can tell you. They wouldn't of behaved Like that if their granddad was still around. No respect! ! ' Christmas, the most wonderful time of the year' I should coco. .They get full of Dutch courage then start mouthing off. ..I didn't need drink to stop it. .my 81 yo mother was in tears. That's drink for you.

Don't know what you implied Joe but ive never beaten or even smacked any of my kids. ...even the 3 past and present wives. Apart from 1 the other 2 can vouch for that.

Trusted Member
    I came from a family where 'good hidings' were the norm, if we behaved badly enough. Fortunately that was usually sufficient deterrent .

I can honestly say that I've never struck my own boy. He's been so good, and I love him too much to make him cry or physically hurt him. Never been the need.

That doesn't mean that I don't believe in (restrained) slapping when appropriate though.

Don't know what you implied Joe but ive never beaten or even smacked any of my kids. ...even the 3 past and present wives. Apart from 1 the other 2 can vouch for that.
    meaning maybe my kids schools haven't told them about abuse .

swearing is never a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I came from a family where 'good hidings' were the norm, if we behaved badly enough. Fortunately that was usually sufficient deterrent .

I can honestly say that I've never struck my own boy. He's been so good, and I love him too much to make him cry or physically hurt him. Never been the need.

That doesn't mean that I don't believe in (restrained) slapping when appropriate though.
    i dont think it is a deterrent, its just a cycle from parents to kids

i can remember my school days, the class joker would mess about get taken out side get the slipper, come back in the class , smiling (maybe faking it ?) and next lesson do it again..

the best deterrent was keeping kids behind after school for a hour

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    My siblings and I were hit with belts and some other things when we were kids (and I don't know any of my friends who were not hit by their parents when they were kids), usually when all of us were fighting with each other or were reasoning out to my parents and shouting at them when we did something wrong. There were even times that my dad tied my brothers on each end of the bed because they won't stop fighting.

Once I tried puffing a cigarette when I was in gradeschool and a neighbour saw me and told my mum. When I got home, my mum was so mad and threw a slippers on me and it went straight to my eye. I was grounded and locked in the room the rest of the day until some relatives visited us that night. Hahaha..
    But that from that moment, I got scared of trying things that I know will be prohibited.

My siblings and I all respect and have high regards of my parents, grandparents, and other relatives older than us. You will never hear us swearing in front of them. None of us got spoiled or became a brat. Not one of us had a rebellious life. But I see the difference with my two nephews (aged 8 and 4) who never got the spank or been told off when they do nasty things, especially the 4 yr.old. We just can't control him and he always get what he likes.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    My siblings and I were hit with belts and some other things when we were kids (and I don't know any of my friends who were not hit by their parents when they were kids), usually when all of us were fighting with each other or were reasoning out to my parents and shouting at them when we did something wrong. There were even times that my dad tied my brothers on each end of the bed because they won't stop fighting.

Once I tried puffing a cigarette when I was in gradeschool and a neighbour saw me and told my mum. When I got home, my mum was so mad and threw a slippers on me and it went straight to my eye. I was grounded and locked in the room the rest of the day until some relatives visited us that night. Hahaha..
    But that from that moment, I got scared of trying things that I know will be prohibited.

My siblings and I all respect and have high regards of my parents, grandparents, and other relatives older than us. You will never hear us swearing in front of them. None of us got spoiled or became a brat. Not one of us had a rebellious life. But I see the difference with my two nephews (aged 8 and 4) who never got the spank or been told off when they do nasty things, especially the 4 yr.old. We just can't control him and he always get what he likes.
    so your associating the smacking you got from your parents with the way you turned out

but Graham has said he didn't smack his son, no need to,

maybe in some cases its not the child's fault but the parents fault , smacking or not

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I'm not associating it fully, of course smart parenting still did its best. My parents are the best! But if we didn't get the threat of smacking, I don't think we'll be scared enough of my parents and their authority. My nephew (the 4 yr old one), whenever his parents tell him "I will smack you in the hand" when he acts inappropriately just laughs it off and always thinks no matter what he does is fine. He never gets the smacking though.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

i was lucky you may say , coming from a very large family and being one of the youngest we did not get a slipper or a beating or what ever you may call it, but i can remember my older bros and sisters getting a beating, sticks and what ever came into the hands who was giving it, was it the norm in those days it seems so if you spoke to your friends at the time,
    I can remember being beaten up one day at school, because i was cheeky to a lady teacher, her male lover who was a teacher at the same school, came straight up to me and gave me a good hiding and kicking and because i tried to defend myself he attacked me even worst, i was 12 at the time,
    I dare not go home to tell my parents because i thought it was my fault for being cheeky, how times have changed, for the best yes, and there is nothing worst then seeing some grub of a parent shouting abuse at a baby in a pushchair, just my own thoughts

The threat of a slap across the back of the leg should be a strong deterrent. If it is used too often then it becomes meaningless.

My childhood was spent with a violent father.
    Beatings for any perceived mistake was commonplace.

Despite that......from my own frame-of-reference.... beatings, slaps, smacks etc were NEVER a deterrent. Period

Children need good parenting not good hidings.

To say "it never did me any harm" is neither true nor good reason. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The threat of a slap across the back of the leg should be a strong deterrent. If it is used too often then it becomes meaningless.
    Yes after having a few myself it worked, I'm all for it when a child loses its head.

Really annoys me when people lump it in with child beating, not the same at all

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    .....Really annoys me when people lump it in with child beating, not the same at all
    Where's the borderline Les ??
    Much too murky for clever definitions.

Safest position is zero tolerance IMO

Ok it's easy a slap on the back of the legs is fairly easy to imagine, beating your child with belts,fists etc is beating a child and is totally different.

I am a child brought up in the 60s with occasional slap, could be by parents, teachers or police - all were allowed.

Soon taught me discipline and I rarely was a bad kid.
    no mental hangovers from it,no recurring nightmares as I wasn't beaten up.

i totally agree with it being used in moderation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

We're not too dissimilar after all Rayna. Looks like it's a worldwide thing. This is apparently progress.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Yes after having a few myself it worked, I'm all for it when a child loses its head.

Really annoys me when people lump it in with child beating,not the same at all
    Exactly...a reprimand is quite different to senseless beatings

Exactly...a reprimand is quite different to senseless beatings
    Totally but as usual it gets turned into something more sinister

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information