Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb Home office u-turn allows visa

'It is the best Christmas present I could ever ask for': Mother-of-one forced to bring up her daughter 8,000 miles from her husband delighted at Home Office's u-turn allowing him a visa

- Elizabeth Celi-Parr heard the news as she travelled by ferry to Ireland to meet her husband for Christmas
    - 30-year-old was denied permission to bring Ecuadorian Alexander Celi-Moreno to live with her and their daughter Olivia in the UK
    - Law requires the British partner to have a salary of at least £18,600 a year
    - But Home Office officials reversed the decision after Mrs Celi-Parr petitioned David Cameron and her MP Neil Parish

A young mother forced to raise her daughter alone after immigration laws forced her to live 8,000 miles from her husband, received the' best' Christmas present when Home Office officials reversed its visa decision.

Elizabeth Celi-Parr was denied permission to bring Ecuadorian husband Alexander Celi-Moreno to the UK, where she lives with their baby daughter, Olivia, aged 21 months.

Mr Celi-Moreno, a doctor, was refused a spouse visa this year, because of new legislation introduced by Home Secretary Theresa May which requires the British partner to have a salary of at least £18,600 a year.

Elizabeth Celi-Parr said she has received the 'best' Christmas present she could have hoped for after the Home Office reversed a decision, allowing her Ecuadorian husband Alexander Celi-Moreno to move to the UK with her and their baby daughter Olivia

Mrs Celi-Parr recieved the news while on a ferry to Ireland to celebrate Christmas with her husband, who had managed to secure a visa to visit the country

The application was blocked by officials despite the couple being offered jobs with the family firm in Devon, and rent-free accommodation in the spacious family home.

Mrs Celi-Parr, frustrated with the time her appeal against the decision was taking, decided to organise a family Christmas reunion in Ireland, where Mr Celi-Moreno had been granted a tourist visa.

It was as Mrs Celi-Parr and her daughter Olivia were on a ferry crossing the Irish Sea that she was told her MP, Tory Neil Parish, had won her case.

'It was amazing, the best Christmas present, but I couldn’t tell anyone because I was on a ferry,' said Mrs Celi-Parr, who also celebrated her 30th birthday on Thursday.

'When I eventually found Alexander in the airport wandering around trying to find us, Olivia ran up to him shouting ‘Papa!’ - it was quite emotional.'

Mrs Celi-Parr met her 33-year-old husband, in 2006 when she faced problems registering her visa as an English teacher in the Ecuadorian capital of Quito.

They married in 2011 and lived in Argentina and Chile.

But when baby Olivia arrived, the couple realised they needed the support of their family and decided to settle in England, where Mr Celi-Moreno's medical training could lead to a well-paid job.

An application for a visa was submitted and Mrs Celi-Parr returned to Colyton where she began working for the family business J & FJ Baker & Co Ltd, Britain’s only remaining traditional oak bark tannery still in production.

Mrs Celi-Parr said: 'It was amazing, the best Christmas present' while husband Mr Celi-Moreno, a doctor, added: 'It's been the most beautiful time I have ever had'

Her father Andrew Parr and his wife Helen, who represents the Conservatives at East Devon District Council, now run the firm, which has been a family affair for 150 years.

Mrs Celi-Parr had assumed her salary, savings and the offer of free accommodation and work would persuade the authorities that the couple were unlikely to become a burden on the state.

Nevertheless the request was denied, forcing her to book a trip to Ecuador in the summer, just so that Olivia could see her father.

The mother-of-one then also turned campaigner, petitioning her MP and David Cameron to overturn the government decision while helping other families who have been similarly affected in the South West.

Mr Celi-Moreno has since received official notification that he must submit his passport to the Ecuadorian visa office, in Brazil, where they will stamp it with permission to live in the UK for two-and-a-half years.

Speaking from Dublin, he said he was delighted at the decision and excited but nervous about starting a new life in Britain.

'It has been the most beautiful time I have ever had - to see my wife and little baby at the airport -words cannot describe the sensation,' he said.

Source:-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wing-visa.html

Great news indeed........here's wishing there's renewed hope for many others in similar circumstances. Especially with the upcoming Court Review on Income Threshold levels.

I wonder what eventually 'turned the key' for this very major U-Turn ??

A great Chistmas Present for sure

Trusted Member
    Good fortune often visits those with influential friends, as has happened down the ages.

Whether or not it will make any difference to the outcome of the current visa appeals of others, and any future changes to the rules, is another matter of course.

yes great news and so uplifting. I read this in our local paper and it sure does give hope for a lower threshold turn around hoping
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

i wonder what grounds they were refused on ( sounds like payslips ?) and why it was granted now, and once they grant it for one person, they will have to grant it for others in a similar situation
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Certainly to me now is that the government has made a rod for its own back.

If the threshold was not met then how come the home office decided to issue a visa

It certainly looks like the upcoming court review has finally pricked the conscience of those in power and the draconian rules that were brought in by this government.

mmm u-turn sounds favourable to many unjust cases out there.

So happy for the family, now Mrs May sort the real crap out.

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post

If the threshold was not met then how come the home office decided to issue a visa
    maybe this is the end of the £18k6 restrictions
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    On a positive note from me Joe "The end is nigh"...

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Well ... ... we can but hope!

Thread Information