Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

UK degree Filipino equivalent.

The fiancée visa application requires that either an English test or the following are necessary to prove English language competence:

"To demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement, you must have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which the National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC) has recognised as being equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, a Master's degree or a PhD."

My girlfriend has the following qualification which was taught in English; Bachelor Of Science In Business Administration Major In Marketing Management
    (Gov.Alfonso D. Tan College)

Does anyone know if this considered to be the equivalent of a UK degree or will she have to take an English language test please?
    Thanks for any replies.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper999 View Post
    The fiancée visa application requires that either an English test or the following are necessary to prove English language competence:

"To demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement, you must have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which the National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC) has recognised as being equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, a Master's degree or a PhD."

My girlfriend has the following qualification which was taught in English; Bachelor Of Science In Business Administration Major In Marketing Management
    (Gov.Alfonso D. Tan College)

Does anyone know if this considered to be the equivalent of a UK degree or will she have to take an English language test please?
    Thanks for any replies.
    your better contacting naric, the thing is her degree might not be recognised by them as equivalent to a UK degree (might be recognised as a hnc\hnd etc) . could be cheaper for her to take the English language test, but then sooner or later she will want to know what its equivalent to in the UK either for employment purposes or studying in the UK

and it looks to me she will need both the statement of comparability (show her degree is equivalent to a UK one) and a English language assessment - but speak to naric

2. What is the difference between a Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment?

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award. It does not contain any information on the medium of instruction.

The English Language Assessment assesses whether an individual's English language proficiency is equivalent to CEFR level C1, based on completion of an English language test or academic qualifications taught in English. This service comments only on English proficiency and does not include information on the comparable level of the award.

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/FAQs.aspx
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I doubt it very much that her degree will be considered as mentioned above.

Its better for her to take an english test exam.

Good luck

Thank you, going to use this one:

IELTS (Academic and General Training) IELTS (Academic and General Training) IELTS (Academic and General Training)
    IELTS Administrator
    10/F Taipan Place
    F.Ortigas Jr. Road (formerly Emerald Avenue), Ortigas Centre
    Pasig City, Metro Manila

This is a lot of hassle, I will be glad when it is all finished.

good luck to her
    will she be taking the general or academic version ?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Good question, which one you recommend?

Or are they both acceptable to the UKBA and do you know which is easier please?

from me, Joe (username, Jasper).

Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    I doubt it very much that her degree will be considered as mentioned above.

Its better for her to take an english test exam.
    Whilst I'm inclined to agree with Rani, it has long been a source of irritation and chagrin to myself (and, I'll wager, many others) that a degree obtained in the Philppines isn't rated as being equivalent in standard to a corresponding qualification in ! WHY this should be so, I cannot entirely fathom. ... although I'd hazard an intelligent guess it's something to do with making sure that British job vacancies are filled by British graduates - rather than those deemed as being "outsiders" - particularly in times of Blighty's ongoing economic recession(s).

Having said as much ... requiring migrant Filipinos to take English Language Tests in order to join their British partners in the latter's homeland, seems - especially when English happens to be the medium of instruction in the Phils in the first place!

Now my wife was fortunate in that, she came here before these daft tests were introduced. Nonetheless, it infuriates me that - in spite of the fact she's a BSc (Hons) graduate of the prestigious University of the South Eastern Philippines, and one who taught for 22 years in a National High School - her chances of getting a similar job in Scotland are bugger all and, indeed, being a degree holder actually limits the prospect of her being offered [suitable] non-professional work ... for which she's then considered over~qualified, if you get my drift!

Just reading other posts and it may be that this one is easier?
    TOEIC (Educational Testing Service)

Jus the Listening and Speaking tests.

Hi jasper! Take a look at this link for the english exam centre.. http://cie.edu/home/cie-students-ear...ualifications/

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    from me, Joe (username, Jasper).

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with Rani, it has long been a source of irritation and chagrin to myself (and, I'll wager, many others) that a degree obtained in the Philppines isn't rated as being equivalent in standard to a corresponding qualification in ! WHY this should be so, I cannot entirely fathom. ... although I'd hazard an intelligent guess it's something to do with making sure that British job vacancies are filled by British graduates - rather than those deemed as being "outsiders" - particularly in times of Blighty's ongoing economic recession(s).
    i think part of the reason is the number of years of the course and the number of hours of study.

some degrees might only by 2 or 3yrs in length (so could be classed as equivalent to a HNC\HND level in the UK) and also because of the numbers of hours studied.

Thread Information