Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well a couple of you on here thinks the Marine got what he deserved,counting the against votes,the vast majority on this forum disagree,in normal war situation like the 2nd world war I would tend to agree it was wrong,but with the Taliban where they observe no Geneva convention and if fact are totally opposite in morals,(beheading,eating someones heart etc) then the rules are out of the window.I repeat again that the Taliban was already shot by the Helicopter (whose main aim was to destroy the enemy) the soldier finished him off.
    Makes sense to me and since he had been shot by an Apache it was probably the most humane thing to do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Well a couple of you on here thinks the Marine got what he deserved,counting the against votes,the vast majority on this forum disagree,in normal war situation like the 2nd world war I would tend to agree it was wrong,but with the Taliban where they observe no Geneva convention and if fact are totally opposite in morals,(beheading,eating someones heart etc) then the rules are out of the window.I repeat again that the Taliban was already shot by the Helicopter (whose main aim was to destroy the enemy) the soldier finished him off.
    Makes sense to me and since he had been shot by an Apache it was probably the most humane thing to do.

Maybe the Apache pilot should be Court-Martialled for failing to effectively hose down the extremist illegal combatants

Maybe we should fire Flumps at the Enemy and and shoot them with Malteser's

Banned
    Maybe we should fire Flumps at the Enemy and and shoot them with Malteser's
    Even though they're illegal combatants it's just not cricket if we don't warn 'em first

I really don't understand some of the people on this forum. The marine executed a wounded man in cold blood. The British Army WAS on a moral plateau higher than the enemy, in this case The Taliban, which thanks to the stupidity of this one marine has now been eroded. Cold blooded murder of any sort is a crime and when found guilty in a court of law, should be punishable. Nobody, soldier or whatever should be considered above the law.

Article three of the Geneva convention rules that members of the armed forces who have laid down their arms or who cannot fight due to sickness, wounds or detention should be "treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria".

To this end, it is prohibited to pass sentences on prisoners or carry out executions without a constituted court judgement. Prisoners may not be harmed, degraded, humiliated or taken hostage.

Under the convention, the wounded and sick should be collected and cared for by an impartial humanitarian body, such as the Red Cross.

Anybody who thinks that is wrong, in my mind, is no better than the likes of the Nazis or Japanese who treated jews and our soldiers so badly during the second world war and must have a complete lack of compassion for fellow human beings.

That's you and me busted dedworth lol

Banned
    That's you and me busted dedworth lol
    I'll hand myself in Les rather than wait for Plod & the Red Caps to kick the door in

Under the convention, the wounded and sick should be collected and cared for by an impartial humanitarian body, such as the Red Cross.

Anybody who thinks that is wrong, in my mind, is no better than the likes of the Nazis or Japanese who treated jews and our soldiers so badly during the second world war and must have a complete lack of compassion for fellow human beings.
    The Taliban do not recognize the Geneva convention so considering the Atrocities they commit even to young children, then it's gloves off and lets get rid of em all.
    Joe does not like what ifs but I'm going to say it again.
    We let the wounded Terrorist off,he recovers and masterminds a plot to blow up a plane/Planes carrying civilians in,how would you feel then?
    Ok far fetched but just to prove a point.
    It's not a Normal war with normal rules and joe and Lordna you keep quoting laws/rules etc,sometimes rules have to be looked at and individual cases dealt with compassionately.

Banned
    Well summed up Les

Think how many innocent lives would have been saved in N Ireland and on the mainland from terrorist attacks had the Army been allowed to fight without one hand tied behind the back and the rules of engagement in the other.

A classic example of defeating terrorists never for them to rise again was Malaya 1950 - 60 where the army was allowed to get on with it and captured terrorists were often quickly executed following conviction.

The people of present day Malaysia will be grateful that apologists and hand wringers weren't in positions of power back then or they'd be under a communist dictatorship today

Trusted Member
    Quite right Dedworth.

We were living in Malaya from 1955-1958, and because we were 'off-base', my dad was permitted to take a GUN home with him with which to protect his family !

I also remember that for a while our school bus was equipped with wire mesh over the windows, plus an armed guard carried.

Thats my last statement on this subject-time to get xmasy Ho friggin Ho
    I will not in anyway change my mind,he should not be jailed end of.

So he brought the game into disrepute. Doesn't deserve jail though. Fine him a week's wages and give him a one battle suspension.

Banned
    A more fitting punishment is the one regularly meted out by leftist blame dodging public sector senior management to miscreants (example of typical offence letting NHS patients die whilst they chased targets ) - "words of advice" followed by redeployment to a higher paid post down the road.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    I really don't understand some of the people on this forum. The marine executed a wounded man in cold blood. The British Army WAS on a moral plateau higher than the enemy, in this case The Taliban, which thanks to the stupidity of this one marine has now been eroded. Cold blooded murder of any sort is a crime and when found guilty in a court of law, should be punishable. Nobody, soldier or whatever should be considered above the law.

Article three of the Geneva convention rules that members of the armed forces who have laid down their arms or who cannot fight due to sickness, wounds or detention should be "treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria".

To this end, it is prohibited to pass sentences on prisoners or carry out executions without a constituted court judgement. Prisoners may not be harmed, degraded, humiliated or taken hostage.

Well said, rep on it's way!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Well summed up Les

Think how many innocent lives would have been saved in N Ireland and on the mainland from terrorist attacks had the Army been allowed to fight without one hand tied behind the back and the rules of engagement in the other.

A classic example of defeating terrorists never for them to rise again was Malaya 1950 - 60 where the army was allowed to get on with it and captured terrorists were often quickly executed following conviction.

The people of present day Malaysia will be grateful that apologists and hand wringers weren't in positions of power back then or they'd be under a communist dictatorship today
    I notice you say they were quickly executed FOLLOWING conviction which is a bit different to cold blooded murder WITHOUT conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    I notice you say they were quickly executed FOLLOWING conviction which is a bit different to cold blooded murder WITHOUT conviction.
    Think you will find the Taliban fighter was the enemy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    A more fitting punishment is the one regularly meted out by leftist blame dodging public sector senior management to miscreants (example of typical offence letting NHS patients die whilst they chased targets ) - "words of advice" followed by redeployment to a higher paid post down the road.
    I'm sure these are hush jobs To keep their months shut. Bigger heads might roll

The Taliban do not recognize the Geneva convention so considering the Atrocities they commit even to young children, then it's gloves off and lets get rid of em all.
    Joe does not like what ifs but I'm going to say it again.
    We let the wounded Terrorist off,he recovers and masterminds a plot to blow up a plane/Planes carrying civilians in,how would you feel then?
    Ok far fetched but just to prove a point.
    It's not a Normal war with normal rules and joe and Lordna you keep quoting laws/rules etc,sometimes rules have to be looked at and individual cases dealt with compassionately.
    Just because an enemy doesn't recognise the Geneva convention it doesn't mean we have to stoop to their level. Nobody was letting a terrorist off, had he lived then no doubt he would have been tried and sentenced.

Think you will find the Taliban fighter was the enemy
    He may have been an enemy BUT importantly he was a captured and wounded enemy who posed no further threat to his murderer and had not been tried before being executed on the whim of the marine concerned rather than a court.

Nobody was letting a terrorist off, had he lived then no doubt he would have been tried and sentenced.
    I'm sure our guys on the ground had time to arrest him,probably dodging fire while they arrest him
    As for trying and sentencing we can't even trust half the Afghan police not to shoot our boys!
    Your living in Airy fairy land,I bet if you were out there in fear of your life you would not be so keen to Damn the marine

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    So he brought the game into disrepute. Doesn't deserve jail though. Fine him a week's wages and give him a one battle suspension.
    This was the life of another human being and real people, NOT a playstation game!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Quite right Dedworth.

We were living in Malaya from 1955-1958, and because we were 'off-base', my dad was permitted to take a GUN home with him with which to protect his family !

I also remember that for a while our school bus was equipped with wire mesh over the windows, plus an armed guard carried.
    Having a gun to protect your family is a lot different to executing a wounded person posing no further threat.

Yes the same group of people that mutilate their own,behead people,try to kill as many western civilians as possible-lovely bunch of guys.

Thats my last statement on this subject-time to get xmasy Ho friggin Ho
    I will not in anyway change my mind,he should not be jailed end of.
    Merry Xmas, i respect your opinion although obviously it differs from mine!

Yes the same group of people that mutilate their own,behead people,try to kill as many western civilians as possible-lovely bunch of guys.
    Aha so it wasn't your last word!

Ok Lordna we leave this discussion there,merry xmas

Not when you make statments like you did no

OK i'm going to bed....probably my last word on the subject...Don't all cheer at once!

I'm happy to see this thread closed if Dedworth is,run it's course and is only aggravating now

Banned
    I'm happy to see it closed Les I've run out of sickbags reading the Fifth Columnist comments here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information