Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

registering for nhs

hi everyone, i know my wife has no acess to public funds but how do we register her for nhs, as in a doctors etc as we need to get her some prescriptions paid for of course i got told its not just as simple as going into a doctors?

..you just need to go to your nearest surgery and tell them you want to register her and they will give you a form to fill up..sometimes they require proof of address but if she just newly arrived in the uk i think passport or your marriage license will suffice.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

thanku

Just a word of warning...........some surgeries might be ignorant of the rules and have some sort of crazy idea your wife isn't entitled to register and has to be a private patient.

First of all - to confirm, the no recourse to public funds thing means benefits. It absolutely does not include the NHS, being able to send your kids to schools etc - she is completely entitled to all these as your wife.

We however had the little battleaxe on reception coming out with all sorts of rubbish, telling us we couldn't register, sending us away to get more documentation (We took proof of address, passport, entry visa etc already). I checked two other surgeries and they both said "no problem, just come register", but we wanted to register at the one I went to.

In the end, the chief receptionist said she would allow us "just this once" to go around "the rules". I should have complained about her really - but can't be bothered, there are more important things in life to worry about.

That said, it's just a warning some might think they know it all, but frankly don't, and doctors receptionists do tend often to be a certain breed of power deprived types who you have less chance of getting past than the bouncers outside Stringfellows if you turned up in trainers, Y-fronts and a string vest

Oh, no typical of people given that little nugget of authority, fingers crossed wel get a nice one as the docs is at the end of my street would prefer her in that one, thanks for the warning though hehe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    In the end, the chief receptionist said she would allow us "just this once" to go around "the rules". I should have complained about her really - but can't be bothered, there are more important things in life to worry about.
    I'd have gone to one of the other two surgeries although on second thoughts maybe not as they might be full of so called "Asylum Seekers"

Or places are reserved for Romanians and Bulgarians that the Tories are letting in.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Or places are reserved for Romanians and Bulgarians that the Tories are letting in.
    Don't remind me Andy!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Don't remind me Andy!
    Andy's incurable selective memory condition means also needs constant reminding that it was Labour who signed the Treaty of Accession in 2005 allowing these grubs in

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1095.aspx

Maybe you can print that page and show it to them just in case they won't accept your wife in the surgery of your choice (i.e. like what happened to Iani's wife) and ask you for more documentations than what is written on their website.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thread Information