Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Trusted Member
    Thanks also to you, Rosie !

There’s an interesting article in this week’s “ Economist “ newspaper (http://www.economist.com/news/asia/2...stormy-weather ).

Thanks for the interesting article Doc Alan

The UK Disaster Emergency Committee fund has been updated today and now stands at a massive £60 million of donations by the British public, how fabulous!!!!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    That must be a public record Rosie!

Bristol residents give more than £700,000 to Philippines appeal

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol...ail/story.html

Beatles, Eminem, U2 Set for Philippines Benefit Album
    Album features 39 hits and classic tracks and benefits Philippine Red Cross
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20131126

David Guetta donates new song to aid Philippines
    http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...id-philippines

Alicia Keys visits typhoon refugees in Philippines
    http://www.arabnews.com/news/482871

Cookstown High pupils raise cash for Philippines

http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/news/fe...ines-1-5709286
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Newly elected officials and local people here in Bohol have been amazed at the speed at which things are being turned around in Tacloban and Leyte.. We didn't expect ANY power here until Jan,Feb of next year and yet we are getting intermittent power now..
    All of them notice how the world has helped them and ALL of them ask me to relay their very sincere thanks!

Trusted Member
    That's good to know Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Newly elected officials and local people here in Bohol have been amazed at the speed at which things are being turned around in Tacloban and Leyte.. We didn't expect ANY power here until Jan,Feb of next year and yet we are getting intermittent power now..
    All of them notice how the world has helped them and ALL of them ask me to relay their very sincere thanks!
    Wow ...... that's fabulous Fred, thanks for sharing!

The latest update on the donated amount from DEC (Disaster Emergency Committee) in UK was posted 11 hours ago and now stands at a whopping £63 million pound !!!!

Rosie,Graham..
    As you may know..Ive not been online much lately due to the power situation and had no idea about the 60M brit donation.. My bro in law and two local councilors came to the house to tell me..
    The information is getting through loud and clear.

Its a good effort fred. No doubt it will hit the 70 million mark.

I hope that the 'nonsense' about personal aid storage and distribution blocking by local government officials will also get understood and punished.

BTW, glad to know all is well in the fred household

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I hope that the 'nonsense' about personal aid storage and distribution blocking by local government officials will also get understood and punished.

BTW, glad to know all is well in the fred household

When sending that kind of cash to the R.P you would think that the UK would send it with a 10 or more envoys with the assistance of the British embassy..
    The thing that always gets me about these charity drives is the massive amount of effort in raising the cash but the often disappointing updates as to how its being spent.
    If the politicians here have got control of the warehouses then its not looking good..
    I thought it was all in the possession of the Red cross?

Trusted Member
    The looting of shops by hungry people who had just lost all their possessions was at least understandable.

The next wave of 'looting' will be in a league of its own, by people who are well practised at it, and very unlikely to be in need.

Trusted Member
    It’s true that media coverage of natural disasters often focuses on immediate ravages, injuries, deaths, and economic loss, with less visible long-term consequences such as health, and where the generous donations are being used.

There are continuing regular news updates, however ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25100323

http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia-...455613600.html

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...typhoon-haiyan
    ).

Health workers’ responses are receiving attention in the medical journals ( see #58 ), and continue to do so.

Unfortunately, even for me, the articles are not always easily accessible ( the British Medical Journal requires a subscription or payment for access to their articles ).

It’s still an important topic in “ The Lancet “. This month they e mailed over 40 doctors based in the Philippines for personal accounts of the medical response to the typhoon. Responses included those from :-

* Tacloban ( the first of a medical team to arrive managed to text , and described not just the clinical work but also the community mobilisation including “ Oplan Walis Tingting / Operation Broomstick ) ;

* Central Visayas ( experiences of “ Doctors to the Barrios “ programme ) ;

* Cebu ( not just the immediate response but the need for primary care including vaccination ) ;

*Panay ( at least 30 agencies of UN and international NGOs are “ on the ground “ ) ;

*Bantayan Island and Guintacan Island ( which until the typhoon had one physician for 35,000 inhabitants and another for 27,000 inhabitants ) ;

*and Metro Manila ( “ Essential Intrapartum and Newborn Care “ has mobilised a wide network of mother support groups ).

( http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...415-0/fulltext

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...413-7/fulltext )

Thanks to ALL Forum members, both in Philippines and UK, who are doing a great job keeping us updated !

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    When sending that kind of cash to the R.P you would think that the UK would send it with a 10 or more envoys with the assistance of the British embassy..
    The thing that always gets me about these charity drives is the massive amount of effort in raising the cash but the often disappointing updates as to how its being spent.
    If the politicians here have got control of the warehouses then its not looking good..
    I thought it was all in the possession of the Red cross?
    The UN issued an instruction that all aid is under the control of Aid Agencies and must NOT be handed over to local government representatives.(that says something in itself)
    However this is not applicable to aid supplies that is via official Philippine Governnment sources.

There have been many instances of 'stand-offs' where the local Mayor (for example) has refused permissison for aid distribution unless supplies handed over.
    Dick Gordon has many stories about this including a well reported one from Bohol.

The RAF offered to distribute by helicopter aid supplies held in a government warehouse.
    The local Mayor declined as he himself wanted to be seen to be the distributor (also that he could select those to receive and those to refuse)

It's certainly given me a new perspective on local government officials.....

Here we go!!
    I cant say I`m surprised...
    Pretty sickening report nonetheless..
    Brave lady though..
    Very brave.

Thanks Fred, yes brave lady!

Thanks for the report Fred, very concerning information being shared although I couldn't work out when it was filmed I do hope that this lady didn't suffer any repercussions

A quick update ......... the amount donated through the Disaster Emergency Committee in the UK has now reached £69 million !!

a very worrying film to see and like people before me i do hope she will be ok, but it happens everywhere corruption

Trusted Member
    Thanks to Rosie for your regular update - £ 69 million donated through the DEC is a magnificent effort .

Sadly this won’t be the last natural calamity the world will experience, and corruption is just one confounding factor.

However, charity has clearly NOT stayed at home following typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda. Rosie, and many other members including myself, have donated what we can .

I hope at least a few members may have found my own updates of interest and heartwarming – I will continue with them as another small contribution .

Doc Alan, your updates are always of interest

The DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal in the UK has now reached a fabulous £73 million !! For anyone unsure of the conversion to Filipino Pesos, that is 5,241,725,879.21 PHP (yes, that's 5.2 billion pesos!!!)

Read post #69.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    British, Aussie troops to pull out from Yolanda areas soon

MANILA -- Hundreds of British and Australian forces are set to leave the Yolanda-torn areas.

Armed Forces assistant deputy chief of staff Navy Capt. Rafael Mariano said the pullout is expected since the operations there will already shift from relief to rehabilitation.

The British, numbering between 400 and 500, will provide assistance in Panay island and Palawan on Tuesday. They will visit Manila on Wednesday and then head home the following day.

An Australian ship, meanwhile, will leave Tuesday. A C-130 carrying 350 troops will follow suit.

The Australians helped in the clearing, minor repair of roads and buildings in Ormoc.

Only a few will be left after the British and Australians leave. Among them are troops from Japan, Canada, Italy, and China.

The United States and South Korea were the first to pull out. although the Koreans hinted that a fresh number of troops may be sent to help in the reconstruction.

Mariano said there is no timetable yet as to when the others will leave, but expects the pullout within the month.

Super typhoon Yolanda devastated Eastern Visayas last November 8. It claimed the lives of at least 5,796 persons.

The cost to agriculture and infrastructure is at least P35.52 billion. Analysts believe the rehabilitation will take around 10 years.

Source:
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/12/08/13/british-aussie-troops-pull-out-yolanda-areas-soon
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal reaches £81 million

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/19724
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Latest figures released by the DEC Appeal 9 hours ago amounts to an amazing £86million which is around 6.2 Billion Philippine pesos !!!!!!

I hope and pray that the needy are receiving the help that this massive donation was intended for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    Latest figures released by the DEC Appeal 9 hours ago amounts to an amazing £86million which is around 6.2 Billion Philippine pesos !!!!!!

I hope and pray that the needy are receiving the help that this massive donation was intended for.
    That's an amazing amount

I'm sure that there are plenty of projects going on that are directly supporting those in need. Both on an individula level and community level.

Terrific amount Rosie, great stuff and I hope it has placed many people in a better position!

Latest update from DEC for the Philippines Appeal shows that the amount raised now stands at £90Million !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    Latest update from DEC for the Philippines Appeal shows that the amount raised now stands at £90Million !!!!!!!!!
    TREMENDOUS effort by all concerned, Rosie. Now, one can only hope & it finds its way into the "right hands" for fair distribution amongst the most needy ... as soon as humanly possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information