Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar

UK: English Test Prices, Location of the test centre & recommendation

Now, while we are waiting for UKBA's response on Rayna's querry shall we start a new thread about the cost comparison for an English Test you took and will take plus the test centres location in the UK.

I'll start shall I?

I am currently enrolled at Lincoln College in Lincoln as a home student taking ESOL Skills for Life Level 2. They assesed me and advised me to take the the Level 2 which if I pass Ill get a C1 mark which is higher that ukba's b1 requirement. We paid £198 for the course and the exam fee plus a £9 book I purchased on eBay. All in all I spend £207 to go forward.

Note: I asked the instructor if I could only take the test straight away and skip the course as long as he will give me pointers on what to expect and to cut down on costs but he said that they dont do such, you have got to take the course in their college then exam right after.

How about you? What english test are you taking now? Any reviews or straight exam? How much did it cost you?

Share!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I'll take IELTS by end of next year and that will cost £130 for the test.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I'll take IELTS by end of next year and that will cost £130 for the test.
    I took IELTS before as well. The only reason why I wont take IELTS anymore is that they expire. So, I decided to go to the no expiry test. Hehehehehe

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by melovesengland View Post
    I took IELTS before as well. The only reason why I wont take IELTS anymore is that they expire. So, I decided to go to the no expiry test. Hehehehehe
    That's also the reason why I'm taking it end of 2014 (just enough time before my FLR(M) expires on Feb 2015 and more time before the test cert expires). Also, after I get the ILR, I'd be eligible for the Naturalisation right away because by that time, I'd be living here in the UK for 4 years already (UKBA made me wait for 10 months right?).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

That's also the reason why I'm taking it end of 2014 (just enough time before my FLR(M) expires on Feb 2015 and more time before the test cert expires). Also, after I get the ILR, I'd be eligible for the Naturalisation right away because by that time, I'd be living here in the UK for 4 years already (UKBA made me wait for 10 months right?).

Good idea maam rayna i will do that as well
    I will take end of 2014, were saving for my ILR next in person application so no more worries at all

Ohh yeah! They made you wait that long didnt they? Ohh well, might as well go on tht route if it takes things more easy.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Just paid for Maritess IELTS exam £135 at Sheffield UNI that will suffice for her ILR next May also Citizenship 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Just paid for Maritess IELTS exam £135 at Sheffield UNI that will suffice for her ILR next May also Citizenship 2015!
    Thats good! Good luck to Marites on her exam. That will surely be easy peasy for her.

I am planning to take the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic), it will cost me £150.00 and the test centres are everywhere in UK. I will need it for my ILR application next year. It has a validity of two years. What do you think po?

Respected Member
    We both had to do IELTS for our Australian visas and even as a native English speaker with A grades through school in English I found the exam difficult. Not because of language ability, but because of the tricky questions and format that you need to learn.
    I'd recommend all spouses to spend some time with their wives preparing for the past tests to see what they really have to go through.
    When I did my exam we met quite a few Filipinas going for British Spousal visas.

Quote Originally Posted by msmaganda View Post
    I am planning to take the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic), it will cost me £150.00 and the test centres are everywhere in UK. I will need it for my ILR application next year. It has a validity of two years. What do you think po?
    I think that is quite reasonable price. If you are comfy with the test then take it. Hope things will work out well. Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    We both had to do IELTS for our Australian visas and even as a native English speaker with A grades through school in English I found the exam difficult. Not because of language ability, but because of the tricky questions and format that you need to learn.
    I'd recommend all spouses to spend some time with their wives preparing for the past tests to see what they really have to go through.
    When I did my exam we met quite a few Filipinas going for British Spousal visas.
    I know the feeling. It was very tricky I must say. It was already difficult for you, what more for a non-english speaker. Good thing u made it! Congrats!!

Just an update, guys!

I will be taking my exam this Thursday after enrolling myself in the college for a review ( once a week only ). I am nervous (VERY) but hoping that the exam will go well. I will only be taking L & S which is good because I hate W & R.

Also, the college awarded me a sum of £198 for the course that I am taking. I applied for a Learners Support Fund and luckily they granted my application. In short, I got the course including the test for FREE.

Husband and the gang were over the moon! Anyway, will update you again after my test.

Fingers cross to me!

Quote Originally Posted by melovesengland View Post
    Just an update, guys!

I will be taking my exam this Thursday after enrolling myself in the college for a review ( once a week only ). I am nervous (VERY) but hoping that the exam will go well. I will only be taking L & S which is good because I hate W & R.

Also, the college awarded me a sum of £198 for the course that I am taking. I applied for a Learners Support Fund and luckily they granted my application. In short, I got the course including the test for FREE.

Husband and the gang were over the moon! Anyway, will update you again after my test.

Fingers cross to me!
    Here's sending you the very best wishes for a great result Novie ......
    I'll be thinking of you

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good luck Novie, from Maritess and myself!

Thanks for the lucks and wishes guys. Few hours until I get into the HOT seat! Will give an update on my whole journey in future.

Thanks a bunch!

Novie ... all the best for this afternoon.

Right, obviously I took my exam already and I must say that it did made me so nervous. Time to report my experience now as I promised.

I took ESOL SKILLS FOR LIFE LEVEL 2: SPEAKING AND LISTENING TEST at Lincoln College

They asked us to bring our Student's Card and Passport for students whose taking the test for immigration purposes and also for identification. Also they ask us to arrive at the test centre (college) 30 minutes early before sitting the exam.

The test will be recorded. The exam was approximately 30 minutes.

People in the room:

Interlocutor (School/College Teacher, Instructor), Assessor (Person from Cambridge who will observe the conversation), 2 Candidates (my partner and me)

Exam Structure:

Discussion- where the interlocutor asks each candidate for his or her name. Candidates will be given a topic and they will talk together to share ideas about the given topic.

Presentation- Candidates will receive a topic for their formal presentation. They have a minute to prepare their presentation and 2 minutes for the candidates to talk in turn. After the talk, the other candidate and the assessor will then ask questions.

Listening- Candidates will listen to 2 recordings and answer questions. The interlocutor will give the 2 questions for each candidates before he/she will play the recordings. The first time they answer specific questions about the recordings and the second time they will listen for specific questions from a further recording.

Discussion- Candidates will discuss a topic together with the assessor and the interlocutor on a topic which is linked to the previous task.

The test ended after.

I must say that I wasn't that confident about the exam as the nerve took me over but gladly my instructor responded to my email happily and is confident that I will surely pass.

4-6 weeks before I will receive the certificate. Fingers crossed and hoping that I made it!

TIPS:

Always start with a question when you are in discussion. Keep eye contact with your partner, friendly body language and show interest on your partners ideas and talk.

Use polite word or ways to agree and disagree like "That's a very compelling point or That's an interesting idea, but....".

Do not forget to use a formal presentation structure like this one below on the PRESENTATION part of the exam.

I will present a talk to you today about (whether)___________

The presentation will be in _____________ parts.

I will discuss ______, __________ and _________.

So, we will firstly examine_______________

Our second main point_______________

Thirdly, it's important to take into account___________

I therefore conclude__________________.

On listening part of the exam, only write keywords while the interlocutor gives your questions. If you try to write the whole question you will then miss the second question and PANIC will strike!

Visit this link for more info. http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exam...ow-to-prepare/

Novie, Thank you for posting this it will help me and others who are about to take English Test. In my case I don't know yet what to take- at this moment in time I am still waiting for my new BRP been 1 month now since I had my BRP enrollment.
    Good Luck to you, and HOPE you will get the certificate soon.
    Cheers,
    Han

Thanks Han! I hope you will get your BRP sorted straight away. Wishing you all the best! Keep us posted!

Maybe a bit late but I was ill for the past few months and didnt update you here about my test result on ESOL Speaking and Listening Level 2 test, december last year. I have two news actually.

First is I passed my test and here is my certificate. This is how it looks.

1901327_434505463349688_163298804_n.jpg

Second is I am 19 weeks pregnant now and will be doing a scan in few weeks time to know the gender of my little one. Here is the first scan at around 10 1/2 weeks.

1903979_435902883209946_734342927_n.jpg

I am very pleased with what I have experienced at school, it gave me the opportunity to meet and change my perception on EU people. Atleast I know that some of them do try their best to learn english by spending their time studying it at college. If given a chance again in future I will go back to college and take another course that I might use in future.

Well Novie, two pieces of great news.
    Especially the truly wonderful news of your pregnancy

Sincere congratulations to all

Thanks Sir Peter! Indeed good news, it was so nice opening the new year with good news.

Thread Information