Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

family visit visa.. accommodation

hello there.. I am planning to invite my parents to visit us next summer. My husband and I are currently renting the house we are living in. We have 2 children aged, 5 year old and a 10 months old baby. 2 days ago I went to the letting agency (also acting in behalf of the landlord) and asked them if they would allow my parents to stay in the house for about 4 months. The agent whom I spoke to has refused / declined my request. The reason she gave me is we just have a 2 bedroom house and that my parents name should be included first in the tenancy agreement

If my first cousin would write a letter stating that she can accommodate my parents while they are here in UK, do you think their family visit visa might be refused?
    My husband and I will support our parents financially during their stay here. We are just having a trouble with the accommodation.

Thank you so much for all your answers..

All visitor visa can be problematic for lots of reasons.
    Family visit visa's are no exception.

I'm not sure why you think the visa would be denied under accommodation requirements.
    UKBA do state that the visitor should:-

..be maintained and/or accommodated adequately by relatives or friends who can demonstrate they are able and intend to do so, and are legally present in the United Kingdom..
    I think a well thought out and presented sponsoring letter from you and your cousin should be enough.........but the final interpretation on suitability/acceptablity and the final decision on the visa will be on the opinion of the ECO and taking into account the complete 'picture' of application as a whole.
    The major issue being that on balance your parents have more compelling reasons to return home than to stay in UK.

That aside, in connection solely with the accommodation issue you should clearly lay out the family support that you intend to provide and additionally details of the accommodation to be provided by your cousin.
    Your cousin needs to prepare a letter showing proper permissions that that your parents can stay there for the duration and that the accommodation is adequate in line with immigration rules.

Don't forget the visa cost is very low and decisions are made pretty fast.
    Of course it's upsetting if the application falls for refusal, but the ECO will clearly detail the reasons and this will then allow you to comply in the subsequent application.

Good luck

Its so taken for granted when I leave the Uk to go on a holiday that I just book and select airline and hotel, how so different and difficult it must be for so many genuine cases from other countries to comply with what we take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonresh View Post
    Its so taken for granted when I leave the Uk to go on a holiday that I just book and select airline and hotel, how so different and difficult it must be for so many genuine cases from other countries to comply with what we take for granted.
    Yes. British Citizenship and a British Passport still offers fantastic benefits and opportunities.
    Many folks just don't realise how problematic it can be for other nationalities to enjoy travel.
    Or sometimes, to even secure a passport.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    On the page 2 of this pdf file clearly states that:

Details of accommodation and permission for you (applicant) to stay there along with evidence of any other occupants

This could include:
    Land Registry documents
    mortgage statements
    rent book or tenancy agreement
    council tax statements
    accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant confirming that you are able to stay there

So I myself dont think that there will be any conflicts when it comes to the accomodation but just to be on the safe side, make sure that you and your cousin will provide as much documents as you can to cover the questions/refusal reasons that the ECO might use to refuse the visa.

Hope that helps. xxx

thank you so much for all your replies and spending time to answer my query. I feel relieved and I should not worry that much :-) I appreciate all your comments and advices.

Take care everyone ..

Thread Information