Hi,
As a new member I'd like to post about my plans and methods of taking our personal stuff and household items across to our house in Cebu.
I've been busy requesting quotes to ship a 20ft container from Scotland to the port of Cebu. I've found that it's not so easy to get a quote for a 'door to door' service with a container as it is with a BB box. This is maybe to do with the customs duties and taxes that will be to pay once it reaches the port ?
So far I've secured a price of £1400 for a 'self load' 20footer,..taken to a local port and shipped to the port of Cebu.
Then the tricky bit starts,...I've asked for quotes from many differant 'local forwarders/agents' (in Cebu )who will clear the container through customs and see to the duties and various other fees,...they ask anything from 60,000 peso to 80,000 peso.
I haven't taken anyone's offer as yet, because I hear / read that it is possible to walk into the port and clear it yourself ??
I know this will raise some red flags with some folk,..but surely it can't be so difficult ??
There should be exemptions in place anyway as it will be in my wife's name who is a returning Balikbayan and the goods will be all in 'used' condition from out home here in UK.
Any recommendations from other members ?
I'm very open for any advise,..especially on something I have yet to experience myself !....

Jonny