Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Death toll in Atimonan pile-up climbs to 20

MANILA (7th UPDATE) – The death toll in the road accident involving seven vehicles in Atimonan, Quezon is now at 20, after one of those rescued from the collision died in a hospital on Saturday. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/re...-road-accident

Tragic.

Banned
    I'm not stealing your thunder Irishman..I've printed the link coz like myself, mostly on cell phone, It's no alway good to click the link..especially if time isn't on your side

This is one link worth reading

It highlights the perils of driving in The Philippines...I'm surprised these sort of accidents don't happen more often given the scant disregard for safety on the roads over there

MANILA (7th UPDATE) – The death toll in the road accident involving seven vehicles in Atimonan, Quezon is now at 20, after one of those rescued from the collision died in a hospital on Saturday.
    DZMM reported that 19 people were killed on the spot, while another one died while being treated at the Gumaca District Hospital.
    Of the fatalities, only 11 have been identified:

• Nexter Camacho
    • Ma. Theresa I. Diezmo
    • Perfecto D. Zaro
    • Henry Malaluan
    • Ronie Villeja (Camarines Sur)
    • Noe Nunez
    • Danilo Espencilla (Camarines Norte)
    • Michael Villamor (Rosario, Batangas)
    • Ibnrajick Muksan II (Oriental Mindoro)
    • Rene Jimenez
    • Jodelyn Consuelo

The bodies, including that of a child, were taken to Pagbilao funeral homes in Lucena.
    At least 57 others were injured in the road accident and were brought to the Doña Marta Memorial District Hospital, Emil-Joanna General Hospital, Gumaca District Hospital, and other medical facilities in Pagbilao, Lucena, and in Quezon City.
    Local authorities are calling on relatives of two infant girls who were rescued from the accident. One is believed to be a year old and is at the Doña Marta Memorial District Hospital, while the other one is said to be just a few months old and is confined at the Emil-Joanna General Hospital.
    The collision along the diversion road in Barangay Sta. Catalina occurred around 1 a.m. It involved 3 buses (Isarog Line, Superlines, and BLTB), 3 closed vans, and a trailer truck.
    According to Chief Inspector Jomar Yupio, head of the Atimonan Police, the accident only involved seven, and not eight, vehicles as earlier reported. They removed the passenger jeepney from the list as it did not sustain any damage from the accident.
    The collision occurred after a 10-wheeler truck hit the back portion of the Superlines bus.
    "Sa investigation po natin lumalabas ay nabangga po nung 10-wheeler truck yung bus ng Superlines kaya po nawalan ng control at tumama po ito sa mga kasalubong nilang papuntang Manila at ito ang naging sanhi para gumulong yung Superlines, gumulong din po yung 10-wheeler truck na bumangga sa Superlines," said Yupio.
    An engine problem may have caused the accident which sent the passenger bus and the truck careening on the rain-slick road. Five other Manila-bound vehicles on the opposite lane were caught in the subsequent pile-up.
    Authorities believe the truck driver may have also lost control of the wheel.
    The bus driver is now under the custody of the Atimonan PNP while the truck's driver died on the spot.
    Meanwhile, one lane of the diversion road of Barangay Sta. Catalina is now passable to motorists stranded for hours because of the accident.
    DZMM reported that authorities were able to remove the 40-foot container van that the wing van truck last hit.
    "Bukas na at nadaraanan na yung isang linya, ito yung Manila-bound na linya ng Diversion Road, pero nananatiling nakatagilid sa right lane nitong kalsada ang trailer truck dahil hindi ito maiayos kaagad sa gilid ng kalsada dahil na din sa bigat ng kargamento na sinasabing mga feeds," reported Jun Lingcoran of DZMM.
    Authorities believe that a body of one of the bus passengers is still pinned under the said truck.
    "Pinaniniwalaang may isa pang bangkay ng pasahero ang naiipit ngayon sa ilalaim ng trailer truck at kailangang matanggal muna ang kargamento ng truck para gumaan ito at maingat ang nakatagilid na truck para makuha ang biktima," reported Lingcoran.
    One of the survivors, Jason Villanueva, earlier told DZMM that he was able to escape from one of the buses through a broken window.
    Reports said bodies with detached limbs were scattered on the road after the accident.
    "Meron po siang bahagi ng katawan na hindi na nakakabit," said Villanueva. "Sila po yung nahagip talaga nang tumama ang dalawang bus." -- Reports from Jun Lingcoran and Dennis Datu, dzMM; ANC

Trusted Member
    Very very sad.

I know the road well, as I've driven on it and also ridden on night buses on it (which do go very fast).

Who knows what happened, but I do know that standards of driving can be just downright dangerous, considering the state of some of the roads and vehicles there. Maybe it's part of the 'macho culture'.

RIP all those poor souls who lost their lives or their loved ones.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Very very sad.

I know the road well, as I've driven on it and also ridden on night buses on it (which do go very fast).

Who knows what happened, but I do know that standards of driving can be just downright dangerous, considering the state of some of the roads and vehicles there. Maybe it's part of the 'macho culture'.

RIP all those poor souls who lost their lives or their loved ones.
    Indeed Graham

Thread Information