Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Fiance or spouse visa - where can you apply?

Hi, I was hoping someone can clarify things for us with regards to visa applications.

My partner and I are looking to apply for a fiance visa (actually trying to determine which one is faster and cheaper). My question is, in the UKBA website, it says that you need to apply for a fiance visa outside of UK, it didn't state that you need to apply from your home country. Does anyone know if i can just apply outside of the UK?

Thanks!

you can apply from another country as long as your a legal resident there and not just visiting.
    why which country are you in ? no difference btw a fiancee visa and a spouse visa in terms of cost or how Long it takes to process.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I am a filipino origin at birth, but my nationality/passport is now New Zealand. I've just finished my 2 year working holiday visa in the UK last July and I am back in NZ now. I met my partner while I was there. I am coming back to the UK next month as a tourist and our plan is to get a fiance visa after that, the reason why I'm asking is it would save us flights going back and forth to the UK and NZ if i can just apply it somewhere else say for example Germany (but of course i am not a resident there). The reason why we didn't apply for a fiance visa now while I'm here in NZ is because the fiance visa has a requirement to get married within 6 months from when i enter the UK with that visa. It was too early then.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    you can apply from another country as long as your a legal resident there and not just visiting.
    why which country are you in ? no difference btw a fiancee visa and a spouse visa in terms of cost or how Long it takes to process.
    Thank you very much! I was actually quite confused with the cost. It seems like the cost to apply for a fiance visa and the spouse visa looks the same but then with a fiance visa, you need to change it to a spouse visa after marriage so i was not sure if it was another 800 something pounds to convert the fiance visa to a spouse visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmeline View Post
    Thank you very much! I was actually quite confused with the cost. It seems like the cost to apply for a fiance visa and the spouse visa looks the same but then with a fiance visa, you need to change it to a spouse visa after marriage so i was not sure if it was another 800 something pounds to convert the fiance visa to a spouse visa.
    If you arrive to UK on a Fiancee Visa, you will, as you said, be required to marry and apply for FLR (as spouse) within a 6 month period. That application for FLR visa will require payment of £578 (currently)
    Be informed that during your time under Fiancee visa and until you have received your FLR you will not be allowed to take up any employment. One of the benefits arriving in UK as a spouse is that you can immediately take up employment.
    It's also a little shorter period of time to ILR eligibility.

It's an expensive business...............time needed to save up those pennies

After 30 months under the initial FLR you'll need to renew/re-apply for a second period of 30months FLR and of course another hefty application fee.

Thread Information