Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Residential Qualifying Period

Hi

When does the Residential qualifying period starts when applying for British Citizenship as a spouse of a British Citizen?
    Does it starts from the time the permanent residency visa granted or during the spouse visa period?

because UKBA website stated that needs to be a resident for 3 years but spouse visa will be 5 years plus settlement. Does it mean I can apply for Citizenship after 8 years?

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Hi Travina.
    I stand to be corrected, my understanding is the day you arrived in the UK is the start of your qualifying period.
    If you managed to apply your UK visa (either fiancé or spouse) by 9th July 2012, your qualifying period for citizenship is 3 years. In example: you apply your visa on 5th July, visa granted on 10th August, arrived in the UK on 30 Sept 2012. You may apply for citizenship on 30 Sept 2015. Please be reminded that you need to meet certain criteria, not only the 3 years qualifying period.
    On the other hand, if you apply your visa after 9th July 2012, your qualifying period is 5 years from your first arrival.
    Cheers,
    Rose

Quote Originally Posted by travina View Post
    Hi

When does the Residential qualifying period starts when applying for British Citizenship as a spouse of a British Citizen?
    Does it starts from the time the permanent residency visa granted or during the spouse visa period?

because UKBA website stated that needs to be a resident for 3 years but spouse visa will be 5 years plus settlement. Does it mean I can apply for Citizenship after 8 years?
    hi welcome to the forum!!
    we need more info ie...date when u arrived in the UK/date of your Indefinite Leave to Remain granted..thanks
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    hi welcome to the forum!!
    we need more info ie...date when u arrived in the UK/date of your Indefinite Leave to Remain granted..thanks
    I arrived in October 3, 2012 on a Fiance visa. Made an application in June 2012.
    At the moment I held an EU residence card because my partner is a Latvian national.
    My partner is thinking of applying for British Citizenship in which he will have to give up his Latvian citizenship because Latvia does not accept dual citizenship.
    So I will lose my EU rights and therefore I will have to switch to Spouse visa.
    So my question will I be eligible to apply for British citizenship after three years within the 5 year Spouse visa period or should I apply first for ILR and then wait for 3 years?

I arrived in October 3, 2012 on a Fiance visa. Made an application in June 2012.
    At the moment I held an EU residence card because my partner is a Latvian national.
    My partner is thinking of applying for British Citizenship in which he will have to give up his Latvian citizenship
    because Latvia does not accept dual citizenship.
    So my question will I be eligible to apply for British citizenship after three years within the 5 year Spouse visa period or should I apply first for ILR and then wait for 3 years?
    Hi Travina,
    I cannot give definite answer on when you will be eligible to apply for British citizenship as the rules for immigration might be change ''ten folds'' by then.
    Let your husband sort his citizenship matters first(as you said he is ''still'' a Latvian, you have the residence card(valid 5years) that is all that matters for now ,ain't it?
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

My partner is thinking of applying for British Citizenship in which he will have to give up his Latvian citizenship because Latvia does not accept dual citizenship.
    As a Family Member you must have held Permanent Residence status for minimum 12 months before you can apply for British Citizenship.

Be careful on any absences you may have had outside the UK. If this was for six months or more in any one of the last five years of the residence period, you
    may have broken your residence. You'll need to check on that.

Thread Information