Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu jab

Trusted Member

Flu jab

It’s that time of year in the UK when people may consider getting a “ flu jab “. Influenza is a viral disease which usually strikes between October and May. In the Philippines the “ flu season “ is between June and December.

Early each year the World Health Organization assesses the strains of flu virus most likely to be circulating in the northern hemisphere. The 2013/2014 vaccine protects against H1N1 ( which caused the “ swine flu “ pandemic in 2009 ) ; H3N2 ( a strain which can affect birds and mammals, active in 2011 ); and B/Massachusetts/2 ( active in 2012 ).

The vaccine stimulates your body’s immune system to make antibodies to the flu virus. The virus is constantly changing the proteins on its surface, which is why the vaccine needs to be given each year. In future years it may be possible to produce a “ universal flu jab “ which stimulates T cells to respond to the ( unchanging ) core of the virus.

The vaccine is especially advisable for the elderly and others who are at increased risk – through ill health, or health workers. In these cases it’s free on the NHS. Unfortunately in the Philippines the vaccine is only free to a limited number of “ senior citizens “.

A nasal spray flu vaccine is to be made available this year for all children aged two and three years as part of the NHS childhood vaccination programme.

Health workers in the UK don’t set a good example by having flu jabs – probably less than half actually do. The English health secretary is even trying to link extra payments for hospital A & E departments for those trusts whose staff flu vaccination rates reach 75%. Compulsory vaccination in ANY form is controversial ( about half of doctors approve and half disapprove in a recent BMA poll ).

Health care workers get flu just like anyone else. It would seem sensible and safe to have the vaccine both for self protection and to avoid infecting patients. Ideally EVERYONE with flu would stay at home until they’re better, usually a few days.

Generally having a flu jab is safer than getting flu, for those at increased risk. It’s not necessary, nor is it free, for everyone. People in good general health mostly recover from flu within a few days. Antiviral agents like “ Tamiflu “ ( oseltamivir ) and “ Relenza “ ( zanamivir ) can be prescribed by a doctor to shorten the duration of infection. If in doubt, see your doctor or pharmacist BEFORE the flu season !

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/influenza.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccina...a-vaccine.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccina...u-vaccine.aspx

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vao...l/nm.3350.html

Trusted Member
    Thanks doc...will remind my mum.

I just don't seem to suffer from colds or flu though.

Banned
    I'm always a bit undecided on this one - but may well go for it. My late Dad used to swear by them and conveniently forgot a couple of really nasty bouts he got. I guess they predicted the wrong strains those years

Banned
    Last time i had the flu was in june 2009....I started havin the flu jab when James cames along in 2011....I'll be getting my flu jab again in October, same as the previous 2 years...I have mine done at Tesco while making my deliveries

I have had the jab every year for the past 10 or so, not herd from the surgery yet so will check I'm still on the list.
    Thanks for the reminder
    Mick.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    This is my eighteenth year since I last had Flu or a cold, so I've never bothered with a flu jab. I think I've only had flu about three or four times in my life, but had a few colds when I was in my teens and early twenties but I think that was to do with in the wet grass!

I get it every year now and fortunately we get it done at work via occupational health.
    Thanks for the reminder Doc

I'm having my flu jab in a couple of weeks, courtesy of my employer too. There is an en-mass innoculation programme for anyone that wants it, in a bid to reduce sickness levels in the business. This is the first year it has been offered, and hopefully not the last

Thanks for the reminder doc

NO flu shot for me ...I'm scared scared of BIG needles !!
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Thanks for the reminder doc

.NO flu shot for me ...I'm scared scared of BIG needles !!
    I could mention something about a small prick , but that would bring the level of this thread down to Joe's level

I had my jab a couple of weeks ago, and so far I'm fi.... *cough*....ne
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    thanks for the reminder doc

.NO flu shot for me ...I'm scared scared of BIG needles !!
    I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, visiting the Dr over something else, and she asked me if I wanted a flue jab. I was humming and hawing a bit and said yes ok. Before I knew it she was in and out with the needle, so quick, painless and nothing to worry about.

A few symptoms the following week and a sore arm, but now all ok and protected, I hope.

Thank you for your seasonal reminder, Alan ... I've duly arranged an appointment for mine next Monday - as a precautionary measure - lest flu germs "sprout" in Brussels!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Thank you for your seasonal reminder, Alan. I have duly made an appointment to have mine next Monday - as a precautionary measure - lest flu germs "sprout" in Brussels!
    There are more than enough Phlegms in Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, visiting the Dr over something else, and she asked me if I wanted a flue jab.
    Ohhh ... ... for "Pete's" sake ... I'd thought you'd stopped like
    a chimney!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    There are more than enough Phlegms in Brussels
    ... n ... (ing cough) ... ice one, Ded!

Funny you should say that Arthur, I have been trying to persuade her that I smoke.

Trusted Member
    • " Seasonal " flu is an acute viral infection that spreads easily from person to person. It circulates worldwide. The best way to prevent infection is by vaccination – giving reasonable protection. This depends on WHO " getting it right " with their recommendations ; and there are many other viruses which cause " common colds " or flu-like symptoms.

• As a " universal flu jab " is unlikely for some time ; the flu virus is constantly changing ; and immunity declines over time ; the vaccine needs frequent " reformulation ".

• World Health Organization / WHO issues guidance in February and September each year, for the northern and southern hemispheres respectively. It takes around 6 – 8 months to produce flu vaccines.

• Recommendations for the northern hemisphere are essentially the same for the 2014 / 2015 " flu season " as last year. The vaccine protects against H1N1 ( which caused the " swine flu " pandemic in 2009 ) ; H3N2 ( a strain which can affect birds and mammals, active in 2011 ) ; and B/Massachusetts/2 ( active in 2012 ).

• Recommendations for the southern hemisphere are somewhat different. The vaccine does also protect against H1N1 and H3N2 ; and B/Phuket ( active in 2013 ). The Philippines accepts THESE recommendations for the 2015 " flu season " there, from around July – December.

• The UK " flu season " is from now until May, and it takes a couple of weeks after the flu jab to develop immunity, so NOW is the time to consider having it.

• You may well have to pay for a flu jab in the Philippines, unless you’re a senior citizen.

• The vaccine is free on the NHS as an annual injection to adults over 18 at increased risk ( including everyone over 65 ) and as an annual nasal spray to young children. It’s not needed for everyone. If you’re not in the recommended list, and after discussion with your doctor you still wish the vaccine, it can be purchased ( and given ) at pharmacies for less than Ł 20.

• Here are up to date links :-

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccina...a-vaccine.aspx

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/influenza.htm

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs211/en/

Banned
    A good write up & timely reminder thanks Doc - I'll have to mull over the pro's & cons

I have it every year and don't get flu. Before I used to have it, I often got flu - so I'm converted.

Banned
    Noted Les

Nice one Doc. I'll be getting mine soon

Had mine two weeks ago
    Felt nothing and no after effects
    Mick.

The flu got me before the jab this year. Had it since last week and taking ages to clear. I am not sure if I need to have the jab now. Will have to check with the Doc's

Same here Pete. Cleared now, but it took 3 weeks. I will have my jab 11th October.

Trusted Member
    Must be something wrong with me. I never catch colds or flu...touch wood.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Same here Pete. Cleared now, but it took 3 weeks. I will have my jab 11th October.
    You think it's a good idea to still have it then Andy ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I am normally like that as well Graham, I must have been a bit low to catch it. We look after a special needs girl after school and she passed it on, as she is very hands on.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Same here Graham!

My old dad used to have his flu jab every year without fail. Nearly always had a reaction that was a bit like a fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    My old dad used to have his flu jab every year without fail. Nearly always had a reaction that was a bit like a fever.
    It shows how we must react differently. I have never had any reaction in at least 10 years of having one.
    Mick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information