Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu jab

I had my jab on Tuesday, the only effect I felt was a headache the following day.

I'm amazed at how many people don't have the inoculation because they are scared of having injections/needles !!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    I had my jab on Tuesday, the only affect I felt was a headache the following day

I'm amazed at how many people don't have the inoculation because they are scared of having injections/ needles !!
    I don't have a flu jab because I haven't had a cold or flu for almost twenty years and whilst my immune system seems ok don't feel the need!

That's because you don't go out Michael, lol. Had mine 2 weeks ago and since I pick up people with every disease going it's like insurance for me

Funnily enough ... ... I just had my latest one 3 hours ago!

Trusted Member
    I’ve had an annual flu jab for many years – not only in the hope it would protect me when working in hospital, but also to protect other staff and patients.

Leaving aside that it’s only " a small prick " ( " scratch " tends to be used now ) in adults, and a " spray " in the nose which is better for children, not everyone – health workers or general public – agrees on its use .

At best, the flu jab may only work against influenza A and B, around 10% of all viruses causing colds," influenza-like symptoms ", and actual flu. Vaccination only has a modest effect on time off work and may not affect complications or hospital admission rates. This was the conclusion of a review of trials using flu jabs ( or not ) in healthy individuals aged 16 – 65. The review did find no serious " adverse events " , however.

One of the critics of mass flu vaccination is a respected Glasgow GP, Margaret McCartney. It’s only fair to include her viewpoint ( see http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6182
    ).

Personally I will continue to have the annual flu jab, and look forward to the day when one " universal flu jab " will last more than a year. The case is less convincing for otherwise healthy adults – whether under or over 65 years old, if they are not healthcare workers.

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    That's because you don't go out Michael, lol. Had mine 2 weeks ago and since I pick up people with every disease going it's like insurance for me
    I'm out a quite a lot doing my five miles every morning.

It's the bus I use twice a day that's my biggest risk because, when it's raining or cold, everyone closes the windows - and that's a sure way of getting flu or colds.

I always open a window in order to help the steamed up windows dry out!

Thanks Alan,

I first started having a flu jab around 15 years ago I think.

I was then working in a hospital in the transport service. I have not had any flu type symptoms since.

So I will carry on.
    Mick.

I had mine as usual being front line in the NHS. This year though my arm wasn't sore for days after. My colleague was excellent bless her.

Banned
    I stuck my head in at the Doctors' earlier and for the next couple of days they are doing untold jabs for those who qualify for them free of charge.

They told me to phone up Monday and if they had any vaccines left they would do them foc to other patients on a first come first served basis

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I'm out a quite a lot doing my five miles every morning.

It's the bus I use twice a day that's my biggest risk because, when it's raining or cold, everyone closes the windows - and that's a sure way of getting flu or colds.

I always open a window in order to help the steamed up windows dry out!
    Michael,
    Why not walk 2.5 miles each way then you don't need to get the bus....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Michael,
    Why not walk 2.5 miles each way then you don't need to get the bus....
    No I don't walk home, I walk along our local section of the canal and it's really beautiful with plenty of wildlife, no noise and no traffic. The reason for doing the walk is because I can't use my bus pass until 9.30am so I take advantage of the situation and do my daily walk after taking Maritess to work for 8am, your tip on walking home is not very healthy too much traffic and the journey is 5 miles each way, I could manage to do it both ways easily but the pollution would create severe harm I'm sure!

Trusted Member
    Once again it’s flu vaccination season in the UK, in preparation for infection with the ‘flu virus which usually causes infections between October and May.

In the Philippines infections are more likely between June and November – so the vaccine would be given, if needed, before June. ( " Agrippal S1 " ; " Fluarix " ; " Influvac " ; and " Vaxigrip " are available at cost, all made by reputable companies ).

• Twice a year ( February and September ) World Health Organization recommends in advance the likely viruses for inclusion in the seasonal vaccines for the northern and southern hemispheres, to allow time for enough vaccines to be produced.

• The ‘flu jab for 2015/2016 will protect against three types of virus :-

A/H1N1 – the strain that caused swine flu pandemic in 2009
    A/H3N2 – a strain that can infect birds and mammals and was active in 2011
    B/Phuket/3073/2013

( Type A is usually the more serious ; B less serious but affects young children ; C is the mildest, like the common cold ).

• There is now also a nasal spray vaccine available for children.

• The vaccines are routinely given on the NHS to those most likely to benefit ( either at GP surgery or pharmacy ).

• Perhaps surprisingly it’s not 100% effective – more often 50%. Indeed last winter it was thought at first to be only effective in 3% of cases, but that’s been revised to about a third ( 34% ), with more data.

• The problem is that ‘flu viruses are constantly changing ; companies have to make the vaccines in the six months after WHO recommendations ( which are only " best guestimates " ).

• So even if the vaccines are safe, there’s no guarantee they will protect against ‘flu – and they give no immunity to infection by the other 90% of cold viruses. The value of mass ‘flu vaccination has been questioned, and possibly only half of health care workers themselves have the annual ‘flu jab.

I will continue to have the annual ‘flu jab, and those recommended to have it should at least consider and discuss with their doctor.

( Those recommended for vaccination include :-
    * Over 65s
    * Young children
    * Under 65 with clinical risk factors like heart disease and asthma ) and also pregnant women.
    * Health and social care workers, and people living in residential care homes.
    * See :- http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccina...a-vaccine.aspx
    ).

• It might be a different matter if we had a " universal " ‘flu vaccine. This would target sites on the virus that are unlikely – or less likely – to change ( mutate ). So far research workers have developed two such vaccines which work in animals, but not humans. It will probably be several years before such vaccines are available for humans.

Thanks for the reminder Doc. I think my Dr is doing a walk-in next Wednesday.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

I'll be having a flu jab at work next week

Trusted Member
    It’s that time of year again in the UK when flu vaccination is available to help protect adults and children at risk of flu and its complications.

The vaccine is offered free on the NHS to children, pregnant women, and adults " at risk " over the age of 18 - including everyone aged 65 and over. It’s safe - serious side effects being very rare.

It's either given as a nasal spray ( using live but weakened / attenuated viruses ) to children ; or by injection ( using killed / inactivated viruses ).

The " flu jab " for 2016/2017 contains the viruses identified in advance ( giving manufacturers time to make it ) to be the most likely causes of flu :-

A/H1N1, A/H3N2, and Influenza B ( also another B strain in the nasal spray vaccine ).

The best time to have the vaccine is in the autumn.

For the Philippines, the strains would probably be the same, but the best time would be around March / April. Unfortunately the vaccine is only free ( to my knowledge ) for elderly citizens, and a few years ago there was concern about fake vaccines.

Is it effective ? It won’t stop all flu viruses. Not all health care workers are convinced of the benefits of mass flu vaccinations - either for themselves or their patients - see link.

As always, I can only try to inform, but not give advice to, Forum members. It’s up to individuals to decide, preferably after discussion with their doctor, practice nurse, or pharmacist. My own decision is to have the vaccine, as usual.

My parents had theirs last week.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    My doc offered me a free flu jab last week (as I'd just turned into an OAP), but I suggested that he save it for a 'proper' old person.

Had mine yesterday at a chemist, they did it free straight away, (after filling in the short form.)
    Much better than trying to get it at my Drs surgery.
    Mick.

I have to say I normally get the flu jab with no issues. but the one I had this year gave me and many of my healthcare colleagues a really bad cold. Wasn't fun.

... alas ... ... being diabetic, I've been advised to postpone mine for a few weeks this year, in order to fully recover from a recent chest infection.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    I have to say I normally get the flu jab with no issues. but the one I had this year gave me and many of my healthcare colleagues a really bad cold. Wasn't fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... alas ... ... being diabetic, I've been advised to postpone mine for a few weeks this year, in order to fully recover from a recent chest infection.
    Tbh ... ... I'm more than willing to follow medical advice, due to the fact that during these past few winters, I seem to've developed heavy colds a lot more than I'd been accustomed to prior to being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes some 5 years ago. !

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My doc offered me a free flu jab last week (as I'd just turned into an OAP), but I suggested that he save it for a 'proper' old person.
    You sound like me Graham, don't feel old at all

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Tbh ... ... I'm more than willing to follow medical advice, due to the fact that during these past few winters, I seem to've developed heavy colds a lot more than I'd been accustomed to prior to being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes some 5 years ago. !
    I have to sympathise with you Arthur, a couple of months in Philippines would be very beneficial I would have thought

My sister and brother have there flu jab and both do suffer for days with a bad cold, and they say they was fine before they had it too.
    A little sunshine does make you feel good, but as Michael say two months in the Phils well, for some that would be fantastic, but for others it could be hell they say.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I had my flu jab taken last week. I decided to get it this year because I got the flu last year (2 weeks before Christmas and I was terrible during Christmas dinner!) and don't want to risk getting it again. I had to pay my GP though because I'm not considered as a baby, elderly or disabled (or someone who need it the most)..hahaha. I paid £8.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    Well, I shall be starting my 2 months in the Phils in another 9 days.

I bet you cannot wait, i hope you have brought a better kite this time too

Trusted Member
    Certainly am... and taking full advantage of Emirates 30kg checked-in baggage allowance this time.

Oy.. nowt wrong with my kites mate !

Hope you have a pleasant flight and a super holiday Graham

Trusted Member
    Cheers Michael.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information