Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Changes to 'knowledge of language and life' requirements and application details

20 September 2013

From 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by:
    passing the life in the UK test; and
    having a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

For details of the new requirement please see the Changes to the knowledge of language and life requirements for settlement or naturalisation document on this website.

For an application for citizenship to be considered under the pre 28 October requirements, the application will need to be received by UK Visas & Immigration by Friday 25 October 2013 (the last working day before the change). We do not receive a postal delivery on Saturday or Sunday.

Source:-
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...and+updates%29

Hello Terpe,thanks for posting.....

Quote Originally Posted by PAT View Post
    Hello Terpe,thanks for posting.....
    Hi there PAT....hope life is good for you

It says....

"If you already have a qualification at B1 level
    Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be
    required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English
    equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in
    order to qualify settlement."

But my certificate will expire before I can apply for ILR. Doest it mean I will have to take an english test again? :(

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by filbrit View Post
    It says....

Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be
    required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English
    equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in

But my certificate will expire before I can apply for ILR. Doest it mean I will have to take an english test again? :(
    Thanks for highlighting this. My IELTS test cert is already expired. But I have a band score of 7, which is equivalent to C1 level. I'm thinking now, because of this paragraph you highlighted if I will not be required to take a further test when I apply for settlement. I'm not sure who I can ask..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Thanks for highlighting this. My IELTS test cert is already expired. But I have a band score of 7, which is equivalent to C1 level. I'm thinking now, because of this paragraph you highlighted if I will not be required to take a further test when I apply for settlement. I'm not sure who I can ask..
    You've got us thinking now Rayna, Maritess band score was 5.5 and hers expires 8 days before her ILR application, is there any way of finding out?

I just made a request to the Home Office via the Freedom of Information site regarding the matter above. You can view it here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-437505 and I hope we can get a clear response from them.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

this is taking the pi$$ed !! why would an english test certificate has some expiration...?? and if it did, why an examiner have to pay for it , ??it should come free
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

I just made a request to the Home Office via the Freedom of Information site regarding the matter above. You can view it here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-437505 and I hope we can get a clear response from them.
    Thank you so much Rayna, we will await their reply in anticipation. By the way, is a score of 5.5 enough for B1?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Thank you so much Rayna, we will await there reply in anticipation. By the way, is a score of 5.5 enough for B1?
    Yes Michael, it's enough. B1 level corresponds to an IELTS band score of 4.

IELTS_grading_system.jpg

Source:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf
    -=rayna.keith=-

Yes Michael, it's enough. B1 level corresponds to an IELTS band score of 4.

IELTS_grading_system.jpg

Source:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf
    Thanks Rayna, will just hang on before booking another IELTS until you get a reply, by the way, Maritess ask's when are you taking your ILR?

hope they'll respond soon.. i'm thinking of sitting the exam next month..
    ''The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but there still gonna be on it''

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Thank's Rayna, will just hang on before booking another IELTS until you get a reply, by the way, Maritess ask's when are you taking your ILR?
    My FLR(M) is valid until 13 Feb 2015..so I still have more than a year to sit tight and relax..hahaha
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by filbrit View Post
    It says....

My wife has been saying her IELTS certificate will expire before she needs to to apply for ILR next year. After reading these posts I have taken a close look at her certificate and can't see an expiry date. At the very top of the certificate it has

NOTE Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses should be based on the ACADEMIC Reading and Writing Modules
    GENERAL TRAINING Reading and Writing Moduals are not designed to test the full range of language skills required for academic purposes.
    It is recommended that the candidate's language ability in this Test Report Form be re-assessed after two years from the date of test.
    There is no expiry date so to speak, just the above note, do yours say different?

Quote Originally Posted by quickwillow View Post
    My wife has been saying her IELTS certificate will expire before she needs to to apply for ILR next year. After reading these posts I have taken a close look at her certificate and can't see an expiry date. At the very top of the certificate it has

NOTE Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses should be based on the ACADEMIC Reading and Writing Modules
    GENERAL TRAINING Reading and Writing Moduals are not designed to test the full range of language skills required for academic purposes.
    It is recommended that the candidate's language ability in this Test Report Form be re-assessed after two years from the date of test.
    There is no expiry date so to speak, just the above note, do yours say different?
    I highlighted the part where it says the validity of the test report form. Also, check the photo I posted above (post #10). It says there the validity period of the IELTS test report form.
    -=rayna.keith=-

am on panic nowwwwwwwwwww
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

I highlighted the part where it says the validity of the test report form. Also, check the photo I posted above (post #10). It says there the validity period of the IELTS test report form.
    Yup read all that, just wishful thinking, will wait to see the answer to your question on https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-437505 or it's more down the

Thanks for this info Terpe.
    >>--DonahMichael-->>

Take a look at this thread here

Hopefully it will help.

Let's also wait for the FOI request of Rayna on validity clarifications

So all we require is whether we can use the IELTS pass certificate that has expired a few days before application of ILR!

Bugger! Freaking Home Office sent a response to my FOI request but it's the automated "Thank you for contacting the Home Office. You can no longer use this email address for general immigration enquiries." BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! You can't really get a definite answer from the !!!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Bugger! Freaking Home Office sent a response to my FOI request but it's the automated "Thank you for contacting the Home Office. You can no longer use this email address for general immigration enquiries." BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! You can't really get a definite answer from the !!!
    Rayna ... to read about the lack of a proper response to the well~worded FOI request you sent to the *Home Office 3 days ago.

Question now is: WHICH of *its departments does deal with enquiries like yours? ... wish I knew the answer! Thing is, Myrna came here in March 2009 ... a year and a half before these (in my opinion) totally unnecessary (for Filipinos anyway) **English Language Tests came into being ... hence I am, what you might say, "in the dark" as far as **they're concerned.

Peter would be the person most likely to know, I should imagine. Meanwhile, I'd like to acknowledge the time and effort you've put into this exercise on members' behalf ... You're a 'STAR' ... again!

Thanks Rayna for attempting to find an answer ref IELTS validity when expired, I'm sure that if you find another route to obtain an answer you will inform the relevant members seeking this answer. I'm sure everyone really appreciate's your attempt to try and solve this issue!

My wife is taking the LIUK test next saturday and I will be trying to get her application for ILR in on that day if she passes as she only managed an A1.
    If She fails the LIUK then we will have to find her a course where the test is taken at the end of the course I believe. Her FLR expires in Feb 14 so will need to get it sorted before xmas.

I'm wondering as a plan B does anyone recommend any learning places for the English/LIUK test?

Thanks
    Tone

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ...Peter would be the person most likely to know, I should imagine. Meanwhile, I'd like to acknowledge the time and effort you've put into this exercise on members' behalf ... You're a 'STAR' ... again!
    Afraid not Arthur....
    It's a mighty important issue and one that probably should have been worded better in the written statements from Home Office/UKBA

Whenever there is a questionable statement it's always important (imo) to seek definitive clarity.

This is why Rayna has quite rightly requested a straight answer to a straight question. Hopefully that answer will be made sooner rather than later.

There are two key documents published by UKBA and filbrit has already indicated an extract from one of them:-

Changes to the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for settlement and naturalisation which states:-

If you already have a qualification at B1 level
    Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement
    The other one was from UKBA was issued and published as their Statement of Intent, changes to the requirement from October 2013 which supports the above writing by stating the following:-

English Language Qualifications
    We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will be required to take another one. So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.

The following qualifications will be accepted:
    • Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the Immigration Rules, Appendix O. The SELT list is available at:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...lish-tests.pdf
    There's not any definitive clarity on certificate validity, although the intimation is that expired certificates are acceptable.
    Sadly, intimation doesn't 'cut the mustard' for such important and expensive applications when dealing with such hard edged organisations like UKBA

Just my 2 centavos

Can't understand why UKBA have difficulty to provide a quick simple answer.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...les/appendixo/

List of English language tests that have been approved by the Home Office for English language requirements for limited leave to enter or remain under the Immigration Rules

IELTS Test validity 2yrs
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...les/appendixo/

List of English language tests that have been approved by the Home Office for English language requirements for limited leave to enter or remain under the Immigration Rules

IELTS Test validity 2yrs
    Yes Joe, but there's nothing mentioned in the UKBA requirements for 28 October changes about certificate validity at settlement when B1 level was achieved and used for entry.
    Intimation is that if B1 was achieved at entry then another test is not required.

Let's see what the outcome of the FOI request will be

what i think, you need a valid cert with at least B1 level from 28th Oct, and if your IELTS is over 2yrs it's not valid.

but lets hope I'm wrong
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    what i think, you need a valid cert with at least B1 level from 28th Oct, and if your IELTS is over 2yrs it's not valid.

but lets hope I'm wrong
    I think there's a lot of folks hoping you wrong with that one Joe

Just a pity UKBA don't make it clear by adding that one word 'valid'

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I think there's a lot of folks hoping you wrong with that one Joe

Just a pity UKBA don't make it clear by adding that one word 'valid'
    but maybe that's a good thing maybe they will have to have some sort of transition period.

my misses has had to take IELTS a few times for the GMC because of the expiry date

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information