Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Respected Member
    I met my wife in the Philippines but if handing a P500 load card over the fence separating our houses so we could talk and text before I got to know her then yes!

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post

sending money before you met

ok hands up who admits to sending money to their future loved one before ya met in person .
    NO, I will never ever send money to someone I haven't met .
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

I didn't send any for over two years but I did dish out some when I was over there so I'm not a complete tightwad

Respected Member
    We met in Scandinavia and he used to come over every month. He always gave me cards with nice message on it flowers and poundshop stuffs i feel like saying wheres the cash? haha

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ynwa View Post
    We met in Scandinavia and he used to come over every month. He always gave me cards with nice message on it flowers and poundshop stuffs i feel like saying wheres the cash? haha

He and I would get along...except maybe trying to outlast each other buying the first beers.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

He and I would get along...except maybe trying to outlast each other buying the first beers.

Respected Member

graham you'll get drunk just looking at booze prices over there

Trusted Member
    My ex-wife lives in Stockholm now, and my stepdaughter is over there visiting her (she just posted about it on FB this evening).

Also my son's girlfriend is Finnish, but brought up in Sweden...both living here with me now.

My son says everything is really expensive in Sweden, and they don't have big supermarkets like here...so I suppose no 50p cans of lager from Tesco ?

Its strange as I met Rina in person and I was with another woman at the time, something just clicked 3 days later I was hoping I would see Rina again as I got my flight back to the UK.
    Fate has a way of getting you - "if you love someone set them free - should our paths cross again forever we will be".
    Once we were established I spent a fortune on her - we travelled all over Asia, staying in the best hotels and having as much fun as possible. "those were the days"!
    Now we are living as man and wife and Rina looks after me and my parents so well - could never put any price on that but I secretly think those that sow - reap and our lives are so much more positively endowed with goodness now!

Personally I would never send anyone any money before meeting them, but I never have done internet dating so I dont know what strings get pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by ynwa View Post
    good one ynwa.
    I remember the 15 pounds that He sent, I spent it for flowers and pony shoes and when I showed it to Him via Skype, He can't believe for that amount I got shoes too.

Trusted Member
    Yes, but Filipina shoes are very small.

Yes, but Filipina shoes are very small.
    Totally right grahamw48!!
    Here if I can't get any of my size in womens section my husband will point me straight away to kids/teens isle.
    No VAT.

Trusted Member
    Yep...for my ex it was 11-13 year-olds section at M & S.

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    Totally right grahamw48!!
    Here if I can't get any of my size in womens section my husband will point me straight away to kids/teens isle.
    No VAT.
    First place my wife heads for .................. kids section

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    First place my wife heads for .................. kids section

Respected Member
    My ex-wife lives in Stockholm now, and my stepdaughter is over there visiting her (she just posted about it on FB this evening).

Also my son's girlfriend is Finnish, but brought up in Sweden...both living here with me now.

My son says everything is really expensive in Sweden, and they don't have big supermarkets like here...so I suppose no 50p cans of lager from Tesco ?
    haha No but you can take the empty bottles back for a few quid

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    This is an interesting thread. David didn't send me money before we met but he sent me books (mostly written by English authors probably to make a point) to keep me occupied. When he came back to the UK after we met in Davao, he sent me around 80 quid to process my passport. But before he did that, I had to listen to his about how broke he was. Now, we're still broke.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    This is an interesting thread. David didn't send me money before we met but he sent me books (mostly written by English authors probably to make a point) to keep me occupied. When he came back to the UK after we met in Davao, he sent me around 80 quid to process my passport. But before he did that, I had to listen to his about how broke he was. Now, we're still broke.
    hahaha nice one ,did he give you the i,ll take good care of ya line ?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    hahaha nice one ,did he give you the i,ll take good care of ya line ?
    He didn't say that but he did! 3 months after I started working as a teacher, he sent me his debit card so I can use it when I process my visa and that was when the shopping spree started.

Trusted Member

Great posts. Some rep coming for making me laugh out loud.

What a guy...I wonder if we're related.

Trusted Member
    He didn't say that but he did! 3 months after I started working as a teacher, he sent me his debit card so I can use it when I process my visa and that was when the shopping spree started.
    Hmm, just noticed....if you're ever in Morrisons in Halifax, the Filipina lady who works there (Alma) is my ex-wife's cuz. I've known her 23 years, and we're still good friends.

Hmm, just noticed....if you're ever in Morrisons in Halifax, the Filipina lady who works there (Alma) is my ex-wife's cuz. I've known her 23 years, and we're still good friends.
    He's been living in Yorkshire for almost ten years so I think that explains what you have in common. I haven't been to Morrisons in Halifax. We shop at Lidl. Thanks for the reps Graham! (The shopping spree never happened - - to make you feel better.)

Despite all the advice not to, I have sent money, and also made some purchases off ebay.ph (paying with Paypal) and will probably continue to do so. OK I know I may be being scammed, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, and the endless chats and hours on Skype convince me that she is genuine. The problem is she is still young and studying to be a teacher, and yes I have helped with study costs. The way I figure it, if it does all go wrong, then at least I have helped someone get a foot on the ladder Its an amount I can afford, but that makes the world of difference to her. She is keen for me to visit next year, which I hope I can do.

Trusted Member

In the end it's up to us all to make our own judgment...and it's our money.

I must admit that even I get a warm feeling sometimes

...then I thought, ah, maybe this is age-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
    I have helped with study costs. The way I figure it, if it does all go wrong, then at least I have helped someone get a foot on the ladder Its an amount I can afford, but that makes the world of difference to her.
    I've done the same and been married more than 11yrs now
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Despite all the advice not to, I have sent money, and also made some purchases off ebay.ph (paying with Paypal) and will probably continue to do so. OK I know I may be being scammed, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, and the endless chats and hours on Skype convince me that she is genuine. The problem is she is still young and studying to be a teacher, and yes I have helped with study costs. The way I figure it, if it does all go wrong, then at least I have helped someone get a foot on the ladder Its an amount I can afford, but that makes the world of difference to her. She is keen for me to visit next year, which I hope I can do.
    Nothing wrong with what your doing Mike, good luck for the future!

i am hoping to move out there soon , i wonder is Ems would stay here and still work and then send money to me

Good luck Mikester. Just be on your toes and don't be afraid to say no.

Banned
    That's the way I see it Mike...I've made a world of difference to two families already..both with a life in the UK and one with a thriving business in the phil..I've certainly doing my bit for the 3rd world..........there's no fool like an old fool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information