Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Reimage

Reimage

Ive been in business since 1983 and had a top end PC since maybe 1990. Sometimes when all else fails Ive had to go through the pain of a fresh install. I heard about a programme called REIMAGE which does basically all the work of a fresh install without the pain. Do watch the price mind as it can very each time you refresh your screen or visit the page. I delete all my cookies and visited and found that price was the best. I bought 3 copies and all for about £55 using Paypal. Using my debit card alone would have incurred an exra 20% Vat .

Good advice is use only one virus software and it makes sense I think to use Microsoft Security Essentials as its free and knows how best to deal with Microsoft. Avast and AVG are also superb.

Ccleaner is another must and finally dont miss out on Malwarebytes.

I would never use something like that,it's not hard doing a format,its not foolproof and you cant beat wiping hd clean every now and again.
    All you have to do is regularly back up your pics and docs and then when you format it's like having new pc again.

I'm no techie at all.
    But, I've just done another Hard Disk wipe clean/reformat/clean install.
    Took about 3 hours but was needed and the difference is massive.

I'd done it a few times before so knew what was important. With care it's not at all difficult or problematic.

Well i don't know what Reimage software does exactly but the name suggests that it takes an image of the entire hard disc once you have set it up. Much the same as "Symantic Ghost".

The idea is you get the PC setup as you need it then take an "image" which is stored on another drive. In the event of a problem you then restore your hard drive using the "image" and your back to how it was when originally set up. Takes about 10 minutes to reimage so the advantage is obvious.

windows\programs you can replace, data you usually cant so get it backed up
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Well i don't know what Reimage software does exactly but the name suggests that it takes an image of the entire hard disc once you have set it up. Much the same as "Symantic Ghost".

The idea is you get the PC setup as you need it then take an "image" which is stored on another drive. In the event of a problem you then restore your hard drive using the "image" and your back to how it was when originally set up. Takes about 10 minutes to reimage so the advantage is obvious.
    Out of curiosity just looked up reimage software which apparently DOES NOT do what the name suggests. The review i read wasn't particularrly good either.

I would suggest using ghost or one of the open source imaging software packages available. Personally i use ghost in my work to restore and set up new laptops from saved images. Works every time!

I use Acronis True Image for most of my back up tasks. I made a handy portable version.

Trusted Member
    What if I no longer have my original Windows disc ?

I could do with wiping/formatting 'C', and can backup to my 2 other hard drives, which I do regularly anyway, with my pics and docs.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    What if I no longer have my original Windows disc ?
    Was it disk or OEM factory installed ?

Do you have an application to make a recovery disk?

Trusted Member
    I believe it was disk Peter. I inherited this PC from my son.

I THINK I can make a recovery disk...where do I check ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I believe it was disk Peter. I inherited this PC from my son.

I THINK I can make a recovery disk...where do I check ?
    In the Utilities or control panel .... I think....I bet Les would know.
    Re-format is marvelous....
    Sorry can't be much help Graham ....I'm really not good at this stuff

Trusted Member
    Thanks anyway Peter.

I know it would probably speed things up a bit....though I do use things like CCleaner regularly.

I suppose since the thing has worked pretty trouble-free for years - loathe to mess with it.

A few years back I was always playing about with the BIOS and fiddling with other inner workings of my PCs, but you soon forget when you haven't NEEDED to for a while. Maybe I'll just let sleeping dogs lie until I want to update to a later Windows...unless Les can talk me through it.

I do have another operating system downloaded to one of my other hard drives, in case of emergencies (Ubuntu).

Reviews of RE-Image are not jumping up and down to say how good it is. Im no expert on PC's but it really does seem to function like a reinstall. From what I understand is it checks EVERY Microsoft file with an image on an external database which is always up to date. Any differences suggest there are errors or your programme is not up to date. After completing the check the PC runs faster fresh in the knowledge that EVERY microsoft file is up to date. Logically and in my experience it runs faster and problem files are fixed it has inbuilt to it a Ccleaner and does and up to date virus scan. I genuinely think this software is superb , not a gimmick and produces as it suggests. I am not in any way connected to the company just a non techie that can see it works. Its not cheap and Ive renewed it because I felt it was too good not to have. The ideal customer I would imagine is somebody who does not know hardly a thing about keeping a PC running well but wants to be able to every once in a while set the machine back to an almost new state without lots of hassle. By the time you pay and get an expert clean up a PC then you are quids in. My local PC shop disputes also the idea of not doing a new install but then has no knowledge of REIMAGE. Would be nice to see if some old user can varify that it does not work but I think hard they may to find

Well the thing is anything other then a full format can still leave traces of unwanted stuff on pc,a format totally erases all and you really do have a new pc in effect.
    Also remember if you have one pc then it's not cheap-a format is totally free too.
    Graham if you can give me the type of O/S you are using i am sure i can send you a windows disc to install from.
    If possible check underneath or on the side of pc to confirm you have the original serial number as we will need that to Validate your copy.If not we can use http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/to get the serial number.(if you download this do custom install and uncheck toolbar options)
    I'm guessing you probably have windows home edition 32bit?
    I can also supply you with the program to find your drivers too as that's often the hardest part.

Some versions of Windows 7 gives an option to create an image of your hard disc. You will find it here:-
    START>All Programs>Maintenance>Backup & Restore
    On the LH side is an option "Create a System Image" which you should select and a new window appears and a search starts looking for a backup device.

If you take a system Image just after setting up your PC/laptop then you can always restore your machine back to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Some versions of Windows 7 gives an option to create an image of your hard disc. You will find it here:-
    START>All Programs>Maintenance>Backup & Restore
    On the LH side is an option "Create a System Image" which you should select and a new window appears and a search starts looking for a backup device.

If you take a system Image just after setting up your PC/laptop then you can always restore your machine back to that point.
    Good advice I never knew that existed on windows 7 as I prefer format,I noticed that my back up would be 91gb!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyonresh View Post
    . Do watch the price mind as it can very each time you refresh your screen or visit the page. I delete all my cookies and visited and found that price was the best. I bought 3 copies and all for about £55 using Paypal. Using my debit card alone would have incurred an exra 20% Vat .

I'd be hesitant to trust an outfit like this with my CC details

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I'd be hesitant to trust an outfit like this with my CC details
    You would be safe using paypal Ded
    Still better to do a Format and it's free

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    You would be safe using paypal Ded
    Still better to do a Format and it's free
    Agreed Les - it just sounds dodgy putting up a different price each time you visit the site

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Well the thing is anything other then a full format can still leave traces of unwanted stuff on pc,a format totally erases all and you really do have a new pc in effect.
    Also remember if you have one pc then it's not cheap-a format is totally free too.
    Graham if you can give me the type of O/S you are using i am sure i can send you a windows disc to install from.
    If possible check underneath or on the side of pc to confirm you have the original serial number as we will need that to Validate your copy.If not we can use http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/to get the serial number.(if you download this do custom install and uncheck toolbar options)
    I'm guessing you probably have windows home edition 32bit?
    I can also supply you with the program to find your drivers too as that's often the hardest part.
    Oh, sorry Les...just noticed your reply, and thanks, I'll get back to you !

(I'm running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3...been on the PC from new in 2003 ).

Thread Information