Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Struck off Docs reinstated then banned again

The rogue GPs who fought a ban, only to be struck off again

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...off-again.html

The usual suspects :-

This is what happens when you allow Doctors to sit in judgement on colleagues. Should be an independent body.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    This is what happens when you allow Doctors to sit in judgement on colleagues. Should be an independent body.
    i couldn't disagree with you more, the fact is they are experts in that field

how about a solicitor of 30yrs who becomes a judge and they read capacity assessments by psychologists and psychiatrists but have no medical training and decide on a ruling
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

No objection to any disciplinary panel seeking professional help to establish facts or an understanding of the facts. But I believe ultimately the penalty should not be decided by colleagues.
    These highlighted cases have all been banned and then restored and then banned again. When you have colleagues restoring a convicted sex offender or somebody who supplies controlled drugs for sex then there has to be something wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    No objection to any disciplinary panel seeking professional help to establish facts or an understanding of the facts. But I believe ultimately the penalty should not be decided by colleagues.
    These highlighted cases have all been banned and then restored and then banned again. When you have colleagues restoring a convicted sex offender or somebody who supplies controlled drugs for sex then there has to be something wrong.
    Quite right Marco. As the article stated there has been a complete disregard for the findings of the Shipman report where it recommended that no doctors sit on the GMC.

I'm not defending people like that, unless you're an expert in that Field how can you judge anyone

dedworth are you also seeking that no nurse or midwife should be on any investigation committee concerning the actions of nurses
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    I'm not defending people like that, unless you're an expert in that Field how can you judge anyone

dedworth are you also seeking that no nurse or midwife should be on any investigation committee concerning the actions of nurses
    how about goggling 'nurses struck off'

Banned

Nurses and other healthcare workers aren't part of this topic Joe - it's about highly qualified rogue Doctors.I for one am very suspicious about the validity of some of their claimed qualifications many of which purport to originate from the third world.

I don't think you need to be a medical professional to make the judgement that a convicted criminal and sex offender is unfit to practice as a Doctor

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Nurses and other healthcare workers aren't part of this topic Joe - it's about highly qualified rogue Doctors.I for one am very suspicious about the validity of some of their claimed qualifications many of which purport to originate from the third world.

I don't think you need to be a medical professional to make the judgement that a convicted criminal and sex offender is unfit to practice as a Doctor
    Exactly.

Trusted Member
    Of course it’s unfortunate that the GMC were only able to finally erase 4 " rogue GPs " after each had been re-instated following appeals; which were successful in another 29 cases … out of 235,000 doctors on the GMC Register and licensed to practise.

It was a good deal more unfortunate that the late Dr Harold Shipman was able to murder up to 250 of his patients by giving fatal doses of diamorphine.

As a result Dame Janet Smith’s " Shipman Inquiry " produced over 100 recommendations, in reports covering over 1,250 pages, in December 2004. Its remit was to cover primary care in England only. The report did prove relevant to regulation of all UK doctors and other health care professionals.

These included improving death certification and the Coroner system ; regulation of Controlled Drugs in the community ; and changes to the GMC. She did NOT propose that " no doctors sit on the GMC " !

Many of her recommendations HAVE been implemented. She concluded that " the chances of a doctor such as Shipman escaping detection will be very much reduced ". No system can completely eliminate " rogue doctors " … or " rogues " in any other walk of life.

About 1/3000 registered UK doctors are struck off from the register because they " fall seriously short of the standards expected of them " . But the judgements reaching these drastic conclusions cannot just be left to members of the public. ALL doctors make mistakes – others in the same specialty must judge whether the numbers of mistakes were compatible with their extent of training and responsibility. Should a surgeon be struck off because one patient died during an appendix operation ; should a pathologist be struck off because a cancer was missed on biopsy ?

The governing body of the GMC – Council – now has 6 doctors and 6 " lay members " , all appointed after an independent appointment process. One council member was a student with me in Glasgow – thankfully I was never hauled before the GMC. IF I had been, neither he nor the other members would forgive an excess of serious errors just because I was a one-time colleague.

The GMC IS the independent regulator for doctors in the UK. It encourages good practice and promotes high standards of medical education. One result of the Shipman Inquiry is that doctors now have to be " revalidated " ( regularly tested for up to date knowledge and skills ). The GMC - imperfect as it may be - also puts PATIENT safety first.

About 80% of GPs qualified in the UK, and 60% of hospital doctors. The overseas doctors take the essential jobs that UK graduates won’t take ; they base themselves in areas that UK graduates don’t want to live ; are skilled in unpopular specialties ; and do out-of-hours locum work.

True, there are “ rogues “ – the Daily Mail miss-spelled Dr Ubami’s name in their latest article reminding us of him – a simple mistake, easily made, which was NOT fatal … unlike HIS " simple mistake " with tragic consequences.

The GMC requires " an acceptable overseas qualification " if it is not a UK or EEA qualification, otherwise a foreign doctor will not be registered and can’t practise medicine in this country. Even IF a foreign " doctor " managed to be registered with a dodgy qualification, that should be picked up at the appointment committee before practising in the UK.

No system is perfect ! Every Forum member and legitimate UK resident is entitled to an opinion about the NHS; the 1/18 UK workers employed by it; and the GMC. Good nurses and doctors tend not to make headline news. The vast majority are in my opinion dedicated to treating the sick . You don’t need to be a medical professional to reach that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

but you've never posted anything about nurses only doctors

GMC will have checked their qualifications. its the European ones and those married to Europeans you need to worry about

i agree with you about the convicted criminal and the sex offender, but we dont know why they were allowed to practice again

Banned
    but you've never posted anything about nurses only doctors

GMC will have checked their qualifications. its the European ones and those married to Europeans you need to worry about

i agree with you about the convicted criminal and the sex offender, but we dont know why they were allowed to practice again
    Thats because the Telegraph article was about Doctors under the jurisdiction of the GMC - if it had been about Dentists under the BDA or Law Society Solicitors I might have thrown my four penneth in. Just because my wifes an RGN I'm not saying there aren't rogue ones about, what I do pick up on is that because of the Blame and Claim Culture and blame dodging management there is a certain amount of worry with some of them about possibly losing their NMC PIN.

I'm not sure if the NMC has a "lets all close ranks, jobs for the boys/girls" appeals committee in a similar vein to the GMC

Thread Information