Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post
    We already had an eatery/shop in the centre of iligan.takings was around 4-5k a day on average and had a videoke machine which took 5k monthly which we got 50%.We sold around 400 ice per day for 2 pesos each and 100-120 ice water at 1.5 pesos each.we had a cook which we paid 150 per day and a helper paid 80 pesos daily.We did the secret lucky number thing which made on average 200-500 daily depending on the winnings and sold lechon and always bought 20 kilo pigs and sold them at 60 kilos and we fed them the scraps of what people left on their plates etc which I admit didn't make much profit but it did help somewhat.it fed a family of 7,put 4 children through school and graduation and also paid for a maternity clinic birth and 2x dengue fever bills in the Mindanao sanitarium. we got rid of it last week as my wife is coming here.I put £1500 in when we started and last week we took £4000 out plus 200 cases of pepsi which we sold for 4000 pesos .it is possible with a little elbow grease and commitment.when I was there I was always the the shop and also ate drank and smoked for free everyday.Not big money really but it did provide and it did give a return
    Good for you (both)....and proves that of course there are success stories too.

Sadly, not for everyone though, so I always urge caution.

with my very deep pockets, it takes days weeks and even months to think do i want this so thats way of being careful

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    with my very deep pockets, it takes days weeks and even months to think do i want this so thats way of being careful
    Land prices just doubled (again) in Bohol whilst your short arms fumbled in those pockets
    Renting property out is something i would look into if you are planning to semi retire. Your Ems can be the marketing manager and it would keep her fairly busy.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Sadly, not for everyone though, so I always urge caution.
    I agree.

The problem is a lot of foreigners come to the Philippines with a nice chunk of change and act without thinking. Happens on a regular basis and instead of blaming themselves, they blame the Philippines and its people. It takes two to tango!

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Land prices just doubled (again) in Bohol whilst your short arms fumbled in those pockets
    Renting property out is something i would look into if you are planning to semi retire. Your Ems can be the marketing manager and it would keep her fairly busy.
    the trouble is we are not there, another 5 years even before we we make the move, where do we buy and what , you have to see the place and feel the place too, unless someone can say i have this place its wonderful and its just right for what you are wanting , then we have no choice but to wait and plan

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    In Dumaguete there are a couple of Internet Cafe's owned by a German guy and his wife and they are always really busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    In Dumaguete there are a couple of Internet Cafe's owned by a German guy and his wife and they are always really busy!
    Better idea than a sari I reckon but being busy doesn't always mean it's a good business. I'd be interested to find out how much profit can be made though as the Philippines is now the social media capital of the world and not everyone owns a computer and the like.

I will try to find out if I can, because he's married to Maritess cousin!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    the trouble is we are not there, another 5 years even before we we make the move, where do we buy and what , you have to see the place and feel the place too, unless someone can say i have this place its wonderful and its just right for what you are wanting , then we have no choice but to wait and plan
    Steve, during the next 5 years your property in the UK will probably increase in value far in excess of anything you'd buy (with all the hassle and risk that would involve) in the Philippines. Sit tight mate, and keep your money in your pocket until you're living there would be my advice.

Daydreams are much more forgiving than reality.

wise words Graham, and yes you are right,, thanks

Trusted Member
    Thanks Steve. I'm really trying not to sound patronising though.

It's your money and your future.

At 10 pesos an hour you need to be busy, thats all they charge here.

[QUOTE=grahamw48;457158]Thanks Steve. I'm really trying not to sound patronising though.

how can you and other members sound patronising when it is people like me asking questions and seeking advice from people who have been there , done that and got the tee shirt also,
    Yes its down to each of us to take the step ourselves but with all the free advice that is here we would be fools to take that step before listening

Trusted Member
    ...and lost the money !

steve like another poster said land prices are going up fast in some places like bohol .you really need to come out here fast and find a lot because if you wait 5 more years you may find it hard to buy a decent lot .

[QUOTE=stevewool;457170]
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Thanks Steve. I'm really trying not to sound patronising though.

how can you and other members sound patronising when it is people like me asking questions and seeking advice from people who have been there , done that and got the tee shirt also,
    Yes its down to each of us to take the step ourselves but with all the free advice that is here we would be fools to take that step before listening

I know what Graham means and part of me agrees. My comment about land prices was said half in jest. Prices of raw land in Bohol will rise in over the next 5 years but it will only be in certain areas. You just have to choose the right one

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Better idea than a sari I reckon but being busy doesn't always mean it's a good business. I'd be interested to find out how much profit can be made though as the Philippines is now the social media capital of the world and not everyone owns a computer and the like.
    Jamie, i would stay away from a computer shop as they are so many. Bit like sari sari stores

What about a sari-sari and a internet cafe combined which is attached to a pension house with an added attraction of having a python in the back yard. Has to be the largest python living in captivity though to bring in the visitors.

What about a sari-sari and a internet cafe combined which is attached to a pension house with an added attraction of having a python in the back yard. Has to be the largest python living in captivity though to bring in the visitors.
    With Eric Idle playing in the background

Trusted Member
    The best-selling line in my toy shop there were cap guns.

Forget the Python Jamie, but yes a good idea, just make sure your business is walking distance from a university or at least a couple of schools!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Forget the Python Jamie, but yes a good idea, just make sure your business is walking distance from a university or at least a couple of schools!
    I wasn't serious about the python hence the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information