Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Too late for ESOL Entry 3 level course?

Hi

Our first post in this forum so any help given will be much appreciated, we have spent the morning searching and have answered a lot of questions, must say great source info here.

Gen's visa runs out 24th Feb 2014 and we have just realised it will be compulsory for her to pass the ESOL entry level 3 when we apply for ILR.

The issue we are having is that all the colleges we are ringing (we are in Leeds) are quoting a 30 week course so her visa will run before out she has completed the course and had chance to go for the test.

Can she go for the test without attending a course? Is this really a viable option..

Should we now be considering applying for an extension to her Visa

We are kicking ourselves over this now not seeing the legislation change sooner but need to deal with it the best way.

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks.

Sam and Gen

Just to add she arrived in the uk on a spouse visa 24th Nov 2011

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    There are different types of test she can take, i.e. IELTS, TOEIC, etc. that doesn't require enrolling in any course.. take a look at this list .. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

Also, your wife must have passed the Life in the UK test aside from getting a B1 level mark in any English test listed in that link above.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1974 View Post
    Hi

Our first post in this forum so any help given will be much appreciated
    Hi Sam & Gen, welcome here to Filipino UK

Firstly, be assured that there is no requirement to undertake any course at all.
    The only requirement from UKBA is to submit a pass certificate at B1 level from ANY approved test. (See the listing that Rayna provided)

I'm sure GEN will recall the English Language test she took when she appplied for her visa. Well for ILR it's just the same except at level B1 instead of level A1 which is not a big difference.

What test did Gen take before she came here? Maybe it was IELTS?
    Many folks took IELTS as their qualifying test. That was already evaluated at level B1

She only needs to pass in Listening and Speaking.
    The IELTS test is avilable at test centres all over UK
    If you need help located one just shout out.

Hi

Thank you for the quick replies, think we understand the requirement better now.

Your correct Gen completed an IELTS before she came here, I've checked her results and she got an 80 in speaking and 155 in listening but it does say it's only valid for 2 years, looking at the attachment think her scores where to low for B1

This afternoon we found a private college that can get her to a position to take the exam in 13 weeks but it is going to cost us the best part of 1.5k

I guess the dilemma now is does she take the course or just apply to take the test, the cost is not an issue in the scheme of things but don't want to pay for something that is not needed.

We are going to call into this college tomorrow morning and check it out, it's the Leeds Language College on Greek Street in Leeds if anyone knows it.

Do you think I am going the right route here or is there another way we can approach this that anyone might be aware of?

Thanks again

Hi

Thank you for the quick replies, think we understand the requirement better now.

Your correct Gen completed an IELTS before she came here, I've checked her results and she got an 80 in speaking and 155 in listening but it does say it's only valid for 2 years, looking at the attachment think her scores where to low for B1

This afternoon we found a private college that can get her to a position to take the exam in 13 weeks but it is going to cost us the best part of 1.5k

I guess the dilemma now is does she take the course or just apply to take the test, the cost is not an issue in the scheme of things but don't want to pay for something that is not needed.

We are going to call into this college tomorrow morning and check it out, it's the Leeds Language College on Greek Street in Leeds if anyone knows it.

Do you think I am going the right route here or is there another way we can approach this that anyone might be aware of?

Thanks again
    If Gen took the IELTS test as part of her visa application then she must have had a pass at B1 level.
    IELTS only gets measured B1 level and above. There's no evaluation at A1.
    I'm a little confused with the score numbers you quoted.
    Usually IELTS get measured on a 'Band Scale' from 1 to 9 with 4 being equal to B1 level. The banding does have some 'raw score' but these are out of max 40.

Spending £1.5k on a 13 week course to reach a B1 level seems unreasonable to me personally.

Here's what IELTS states about band 4 (B1 level)
    Band 4: Limited user: basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in understanding and expression. Is not able to use complex language.
    I understand the certificate has a validity of 2 two years, but my point is that if she passed IELTS before, she will surely pass it again, especially after having lived in UK for so long already speaking and listening in English.

Why not just encourage her to have a test and see how she gets on.
    UKBA are only interesting in Speaking and Listening. Period.

Ultimately it's your decision, but £1.5k is a lot of money. If you have the budget then why not. But just try one test first. Maybe she is already at the needed level of competence.

Hi Terpe

Again thanks for you help and assistance.

Just checked the documents again and it was ETS TOEIC test she took not the IELTS, sorry for the confusion.

Think I am going to go with your suggestion and see if we can get her on test next week and go from there, will google see if we can find any sample questions from the test itself.

Thanks again for your help, will let you know how we get on.

Hi Terpe

Again thanks for you help and assistance.

Just checked the documents again and it was ETS TOEIC test she took not the IELTS, sorry for the confusion.

Think I am going to go with your suggestion and see if we can get her on test next week and go from there, will google see if we can find any sample questions from the test itself.

Thanks again for your help, will let you know how we get on.
    Take a look here for tips. Look at the Left side of that webpage for more useful 'tips'

Hi Terpe

Thank you for the link, was very useful

We visited the language college today and after an assessment they advised Gen is fairly close to being up to the standard required to take the test, we discussed IELTS and ESOL and they have recommended she takes the PET (Cambridge ESOL preliminary English test) in October.

She is going to attend college for 5 weeks to polish up on her English and build her confidence and thankfully it's not going to cost anything like what we where quoted.

They did not recommend the IELTS as something to do with they average the score out across all 4 parts or something so its more difficult.

Anyway I think we are there now and panic over, I'm sure as we so close now to applying for the ILR we will be having a few more sleepless night working through all the bureaucracy!

Will update on how she gets on at the college as might be useful to anyone else in the same position as us and need to use a private college to prepare for the B1 test.

Regards

Sam and Gen

Good luck..........I'm sure she'll reach B1 without problem.
    Well done for thinking ahead of time
    Do take time to review the application form and prepare for the other requirements....don't ever believe that the Home Office/UKBA have compassion or discretion when it comes to immigration rules.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hi Sam, she only needs to take the exam, I'm in the process of booking an exam for my wife!

Hi

Just thought it might be useful to other users on how we got on..

Unfortunately Gen did not pass the exam and had to re-sit and we are now waiting for those results, she took the PET exam which is approved BUT it takes up to 8 weeks to get the results.

My advise is that anyone considering the PET route (as recommended by the college she attended) carefully consider the timescales involved, we are now going to be cutting it very close for when her visa expires.

Thanks Sam

Hi

Just thought it might be useful to other users on how we got on..

Unfortunately Gen did not pass the exam and had to re-sit and we are now waiting for those results, she took the PET exam which is approved BUT it takes up to 8 weeks to get the results.

My advise is that anyone considering the PET route (as recommended by the college she attended) carefully consider the timescales involved, we are now going to be cutting it very close for when her visa expires.

Thanks Sam

So sorry to hear that Gen has to go through all that stress again. Too bad.
    Hope this PET test will 'save the day'

Thanks for the update Sam.....I'm sure it's helpful for many readers

Don't get over stressed about her visa expiry.........the worst-case scenario 'plan B' would be to submit an application for FLR(M) for extension of stay due to requiring "further leave to remain to obtain the relevant qualifications to meet the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirements to apply for indefinite leave to remain." (see page 8 of the form)
    She'd still remain eligible to apply for ILR any time after securing that needed English Language Certificate.

As always comes down to budgets

Thread Information