Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Family planning certificate

If we are both over 24 years old I take it this can be avoided to save time?

Does it require a bribe or can we speak to the manager of the registrar office as the registrar is insisiting that we both have to be there and do this before applying for the marriage license.

Ive read elsewhere that they can just pretend you attended and give a certificate but dont know if this has to be a bribe or you can officially do it.

Just go and watch it ... you cant just pretend that you attended because they have attendance .. and then after the seminar they sign it for your marriage license.

dont take a chance to bribe it or else your marriage not gonna be valid

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemanila View Post

Does it require a bribe or can we speak to the manager of the registrar office as the registrar is insisiting that we both have to be there and do this before applying for the marriage license.

Ive read elsewhere that they can just pretend you attended and give a certificate but dont know if this has to be a bribe or you can officially do it.
    Haha...love it.

As said above, bad luck, you'll be required to attend their daft little counselling session, just to be sure that you really are an adult, that your intended is warned of all the perils of marrying a crazy foreigner, and above all, that she is made aware of all the banks sponsoring the session, and their fantastic remittence facilities, so that monies earned in the horrid foreign country can easily be sent back to the Phils.

Respected Member
    Go and enjoy it! Looking back at our seminar (and the even crazier nun one) it was a huge laugh and added to our whole experience. Something that made the getting married abroad/in the RP really different.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Haha...love it.

As said above, bad luck, you'll be required to attend their daft little counselling session, just to be sure that you really are an adult, that your intended is warned of all the perils of marrying a crazy foreigner, and above all, that she is made aware of all the banks sponsoring the session, and their fantastic remittence facilities, so that monies earned in the horrid foreign country can easily be sent back to the Phils.
    Graham, you're confusing the marriage counselling seminar with the CFO seminar
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    Ah...I think you're right, as of course we got wed at City Hall, no god people involved.

It was a loooooong time ago, and I'm getting old and forgetful Rayna. Sorry.

Ah...I think you're right, as of course we got wed at City Hall, no god people involved.

It was a loooooong time ago, and I'm getting old and forgetful Rayna. Sorry.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I can easily understand your view...........but I always believe in minimising risks.
    Many folks will tell you how to avoid many things. You don't often hear the also many nightmares when those ways to avoid didn't secure the expected outcome.

Keep your risk at minimum, follow procedure and smile

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    HaHa! I remember ours it was like a sex education class and was really funny, everyone enjoyed it and had a good laugh at the light hearted jokes!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    HaHa! I remember ours it was like a sex education class and was really funny, everyone enjoyed it and had a good laugh at the light hearted jokes!

We never had one of those. Guess we were lucky. Or was it the p600 we paid?

Thats what I mean. For example 2 couples aged 60 years old would they really need to attend this. I noticed on the requirements online it says "mandatory for under 24 years of age" hence they give an indication that you dont have to do it. Apart from wasting half a day doing it, its because im trying to get the marriage license before my arrival rather than apply when I arrive.. Legal capacity is already obtained 1 month before my arrival. So trying to get the license before I arrive therefore can get married a few days after I land and can enjoy a full 3 weeks as husband and wife rather than just the last week or last few days...

My wife and I had 118 years between us and we still had to do it

Trusted Member
    Yep...the old ones are the worst.

Anyway OP....best not to try and buck the system. It may come back and bite you on the Rs.

.....because im trying to get the marriage license before my arrival rather than apply when I arrive....
    Unless things have changed, or are different in the place where you'll get married, personal appearance of both parties was usually required to apply for marriage license.

I think it would be best to get local confirmation on that.

Alternatively however, The Family Code of the Philippines does allow marriages to be solomised without a marriage licence under specific conditions.

If the residence of either party is so located that there is no means of transportation to enable such party to appear personally before the local civil registrar, the marriage may be solemnized without necessity of a marriage license.
    Be aware that this process is quite involved and may require the services of a lawyer to determine :-
    a) if it can be applied in cases such as yours
    b) the organisation of the required affidavits that need to be executed.

Food for thought.

Can confirm that there is no need to complete the family planning certificate if you are over the age of 24 in metro manila. Yes we did pay extra to not do it.

We did not go down this route but its even possible to get the marriage license without legal capacity depending who you know at the highest level. Luckily we have the legal capacity but for 25,000 pesos this could be waived and was even offered no 10 day waiting period. Yes a bribe can fix anything in Manila.

Actually my friend did not have legal capacity when he got married 8 years ago and he got the license without it.

But like I explained in an earlier post my fiance got my legal capacity in advance. The British embassy gave this to her knowing Im not there, so if this facility exists then obviously you can get the marriage license before your arrival.

So all this waiting 21 days in the philippines or you can only get married after 14 days is not true. You can get married even 3 or 4 days after your arrival if you get your legal capacity in advance from your embassy. Thats the whole purpose of that so couples can get married sooner.

Trusted Member
    Can confirm that there is no need to complete the family planning certificate if you are over the age of 24 in metro manila. Yes we did pay extra to not do it.

We did not go down this route but its even possible to get the marriage license without legal capacity depending who you know at the highest level. Luckily we have the legal capacity but for 25,000 pesos this could be waived and was even offered no 10 day waiting period. Yes a bribe can fix anything in Manila.

Actually my friend did not have legal capacity when he got married 8 years ago and he got the license without it.

But like I explained in an earlier post my fiance got my legal capacity in advance. The British embassy gave this to her knowing Im not there, so if this facility exists then obviously you can get the marriage license before your arrival.
    Yes, I'm sure many of us are well aware of the possibility of using corrupt practices in the Phils for getting what we want (assuming one has the financial means), but I really don't think it's wise to be discussing what probably amount to ILLEGAL and fraudulent activities on an open forum.

Personally I would recommend that all applicants for visas follow the correct and fully legal procedures, rather than impatiently taking short cuts that may well finish up being a false economy, nevermind risk getting either you, your partner, or both some time in jail.

If you get locked up in Manila, you won't like it.

Yes, I'm sure many of us are well aware of the possibility of using corrupt practices in the Phils for getting what we want (assuming one has the financial means), but I really don't think it's wise to be discussing what probably amount to ILLEGAL and fraudulent activities on an open forum.

Personally I would recommend that all applicants for visas follow the correct and fully legal procedures, rather than impatiently taking short cuts that may well finish up being a false economy, nevermind risk getting either you, your partner, or both some time in jail.

If you get locked up in Manila, you won't like it.

This forum would never allow doing things other than the LEGAL process/way when it comes to marriage and visas. You can do all the illegal things that you want just to make everything as fast as you want but PLEASE DO NOT ADVISE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thread Information