Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

things I love and hate about living in the philippines

1. power cuts nearly every other day where I live 2.interuption to the internet and can be very slow 3. satalite t.v signal goes when cloudy or heavy rain 4. cash machines mainly in the cities my nearest one is 12 miles 5. cock roaches and all the other bugs that invade your home 6. disease ridden dogs hundreds of them roaming the streets 7. karaokes,roosters ,music, blaring all hours day and night 8. general pollution,black smoke belchin jeepneys etc etc 9. hundreds of sales assistants following you around the store 10. no stock sir ,no VAT here but they have KANO ADDED TAX lol 11. large que,s for the basic services NOW THE LIKES 1. the warm weather all year round 2. the cheap cost of living 3. the friendly smiley faces despite the hardships 4. the price of land and property 5. the close family values of taking care of each other 6. my lovely girlfriend who takes good care of me lol

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    9. hundreds of sales assistants following you around the store
    Yeah that bugs me too. Happens a lot in Pampanga although when I went to the BQ Mall in Tagbilaran it didn't happen once. Left totally alone and wasn't hassled at all.

brian you have given me a great idea, it will not solve all the hates but may give hope to a few, number 4/9/10 and 11,

Home shopping, you can start it up and even loan out cash too, use your new bike to deliver the shopping and get paid for it too, look at tesco and the other big boys home shopping, and if you find any road kill along your journey thats a added bonus to try to sell too

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    brian you have given me a great idea, it will not solve all the hates but may give hope to a few, number 4/9/10 and 11,

Home shopping, you can start it up and even loan out cash too, use your new bike to deliver the shopping and get paid for it too, look at tesco and the other big boys home shopping, and if you find any road kill along your journey thats a added bonus to try to sell too
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    Yeah that bugs me too. Happens a lot in Pampanga although when I went to the BQ Mall in Tagbilaran it didn't happen once. Left totally alone and wasn't hassled at all.
    its one of my pet hates when you go into a store here there seems to be 10 sales assistants to every customer then they follow you around the store I get so mad I end up leaving the store without buying what I came in for lol

I think its great when you have a bunch of lovely young ladies following you around while shopping but you must have no intention of buying,

Better than having the 1 whos intent of spending everything, no names mentioned

its one of my pet hates when you go into a store here there seems to be 10 sales assistants to every customer then they follow you around the store I get so mad I end up leaving the store without buying what I came in for lol

Agreed.. I just tell them I'm fine and I'm just looking..Works 8 out of 10 times.. The other 2, I tell to #$%# off.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    1. power cuts nearly every other day where I live 2.interuption to the internet and can be very slow 3. satalite t.v signal goes when cloudy or heavy rain 4. cash machines mainly in the cities my nearest one is 12 miles 5. cock roaches and all the other bugs that invade your home 6. disease ridden dogs hundreds of them roaming the streets 7. karaokes,roosters ,music, blaring all hours day and night 8. general pollution,black smoke belchin jeepneys etc etc 9. hundreds of sales assistants following you around the store 10. no stock sir ,no VAT here but they have KANO ADDED TAX lol 11. large que,s for the basic services NOW THE LIKES 1. the warm weather all year round 2. the cheap cost of living 3. the friendly smiley faces despite the hardships 4. the price of land and property 5. the close family values of taking care of each other 6. my lovely girlfriend who takes good care of me lol
    Agree with everything you say!

I think its great when you have a bunch of lovely young ladies following you around while shopping....

It really doesn't bother me so much. I can always find ways around that.
    Some of those sales ladies are fun.

Maybe it's better to explain that you're British and you're looking to being ignored and derided whilst shopping.

Many folks may well yearn for imagined times past and those highly discreet UK sales assistants.
    Unfortunately you may find imagination, as usual, has outweighed reality.

In UK they're no longer "discreet".
    Personally I find British shop assistants to be lazy, indifferent, and oftentimes rude

Sometimes When I'm seriously thinking about taking a wad of very hard-earned spondooliks out of my unwilling wallet, I expect the sales person to stop chatting to their co-worker and engage with me.
    I also want the person at the paypoint/checkout to treat folks with courtesy and a smile, not humpffing, scowling and rolling eyes.

Yes, of course there are exceptions – generally they're not British.
    The sulky checkout staff at my local convenience shop hardly ever show any sign of recognition, despite my almost daily visits.

We Brits have historically been culturally challenged when it comes to 'customer service'.
    But surely in these tough economic times a much higher priority should be placed on customer service.

It's hardly surprising for me that online shopping is absolutley booming here in UK
    Nobody ignores you and there's no humpffing, scowling and rolling eyes.
    In fact it's normal to be welcomed back with a friendly "Hello Terpe, welcome back" each time I visit.

Well at least there are sales assistants actually interested in selling you something rather than here in the uk where :-

1) you can't tell a sales assistant from someone shopping

2) when you do they look at you as if you were from MARS if you actually want help

3) You ask them a question and they say sorry we dont have that, have you looked on the internet?

4) Not in your size, you can order it on the internet!

Beginning to wonder why we actually have shops here now!

Sales assistants in the Philippines i have found to be polite, interested in finding you something and if they don't have what you want will suggest and show you something you may like instead. They also seem to have product knowledge of the things they are selling. In short you still get good customer service in the Philippines which seems to have nearly completely disappeared here!

I think its great when you have a bunch of lovely young ladies following you around while shopping
    If they were after your body and not your money I would agree.

must admit over in the phils and the big shops they all look perfect and always smilling, i would throw my money at smilling faces, i love to look and a polite no thankyou always seems to work for me and if i am wanting advice they are quick to respond,

must admit over in the phils and the big shops they all look perfect and always smilling, i would throw my money at smilling faces, i love to look and a polite no thankyou always seems to work for me and if i am wanting advice they are quick to respond,
    I thought i always wear a smiling face...come on throw some money on me

how can i answer that Grace

1. power cuts nearly every other day where I live
    Tiger, may I ask did you get many power cuts when you lived in Cebu ?

Or is it something that happens where you are now?

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Well at least there are sales assistants actually interested in selling you something rather than here in the uk where :-

1) you can't tell a sales assistant from someone shopping

2) when you do they look at you as if you were from MARS if you actually want help

3) You ask them a question and they say sorry we dont have that, have you looked on the internet?

4) Not in your size, you can order it on the internet!

Beginning to wonder why we actually have shops here now!

Sales assistants in the Philippines i have found to be polite, interested in finding you something and if they don't have what you want will suggest and show you something you may like instead. They also seem to have product knowledge of the things they are selling. In short you still get good customer service in the Philippines which seems to have nearly completly disappeared here!
    I've got to defend UK shop assistants, i can't remember a time that someone on the till at Morrisons has not said, hello and do i need help with packing my shopping, some ask where's little joe is and are always friendly and polite, no problem with them at all. and to a lesser extent the same as Tesco and Asda
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Tiger, may I ask did you get many power cuts when you lived in Cebu ?

Or is it something that happens where you are now?

Just curious
    Palawan we had a power cuts every other day, some lasted for hours
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

its there policy , they must ask everyone who is at there till the same question, sounds good though

I enjoy shopping in the Philippines mostly because of the lovely friendly staff. It's nice to be greeted with the Hi Ma'am, Hi Sir as you set foot off the escalator. You always get the impression they enjoy their job and are eager to help. We could learn so much from them in terms of customer service.

Compare that with 5 people behind the customer service counter at PC World this morning and only one operating a till and I'm about number 8 in the queue. Along comes the manager doesn't say a lot so I left my £24.99 pack of printer cartridges on the counter and said I would probably be better off ordering on line.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Palawan we had a power cuts every other day, some lasted for hours
    hi joe we got blackouts in lapu lapu city too but maybe once a week but did,nt usually last more than a couple of hours, but in my barangay here in Bacolod nearly every other day the longest was 12 hours and I lost all my freezer stuff after just filling it up I was livid

I find the sales assistants in Philippines (boys & girls) pretty decent really, also with reference to power cuts, once a month for 2 or 3 hours and improving in Dumaguete!

this made me laugh heheh ... KANO VAT lol ... how about taxi drivers??
    If love doesn’t require some sort of sacrifice on our part, we probably aren’t loving the person at all.

oh I forgot about guys pissing up the walls everywhere you go they don,t care if its your property or not. I even saw a guy having a crap in broad daylight and then using a banana leaf to wipe his ass in full view of people in a side street.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilovez View Post
    this made me laugh heheh ... KANO VAT lol ... how about taxi drivers??
    never had any problems with taxi drivers just the odd smelly one but they are very cheap to use so no complaints there.

oh I forgot about guys pissing up the walls everywhere you go they don,t care if its your property or not .I even saw a guy having a crap in broad daylight and then using a banana leaf to wipe his ass in full view of people in a side street.
    I saw a guy taking a leak on the shoreline of Alona Beach in the middle of the day when there was plenty of people around including kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    I saw a guy taking a leak on the shoreline of Alona Beach in the middle of the day when there was plenty of people around including kids.
    Common thing in Dumaguete, used to see it daily!

There is a tourist attraction in cebu called the yellow submarine where a sub takes you out and you can view the bottom of the sea .The price is 1500 pesos for locals and 2500 for foreigners now is that a blatant KANO VAT tax or what

Respected Member
    Falling in line and forming an orderly queue = queue jumpers
    Seems some people just go straight to the front and don't know how to fall in line

Entering a mall or going through any door
    I normally shout at them "yes go on push and shove your way in"

Holding the door open for the person behind you

Litter louts and anything is dumped anywhere

Browsing is not allowed in any department store without being constantly harassed

"sorry sir it's out of stock" who's in charge of stock control i ask

I am sure this is not a cultural thing that i am not aware of

Cockroaches....the bane of my life here. Bought a Brand New Washing Machine..left it outside for 2 nights whilst we made room for it. Brought it inside and within 2 hours, I had killed 14 cockroaches, one BIG Black spider...and my wife was very nice to me, she sent a large Centipede to Centipede heaven for me. I hate the bloody crawly things..

"sorry sir it's out of stock" who's in charge of stock control i ask

I am sure this is not a cultural thing that i am not aware of
    I think it is cultural..
    Quite often they dont know what it is we are asking for.. Other times they don't know where it is.
    Either way they are far too proud to admit their failing and save face by telling us firmly "Out of stock"..
    Stock control?? Are you kidding?
    When I ask them if I can order an "out of stock" item,they look at me as if I am an alien from the planet Zog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information