Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Citizenship Application and using married name

Well the princess's 3 years comes to an end in the next week and she's able to apply for her UK citizenship.

Now her Pinoy Passport is in her maiden name along with her UK BRP. I recall reading that we can put the application in her marrried surname and enclose our marriage certficate etc as proof as it make sense for her citizenship certficate to be in her maiden name which will support her UK Passport application.

Anyone done this or have any advice to add? Terpe, Stevewool ??

Nothing to worry about on that aspect. It's all in the guide.

Here's what's stated:-
    1.5 Enter your surname or family name as you want it to appear on your certificate.
    1.6 Enter your other names as you want them to appear on your certificate.
    1.7 If the names shown in section 1.5 and 1.6 are different from the names shown in your passport or they are spelt differently then please explain why on page 13 of the
    application form.
    Here's the form

At the end of the form it states:-
    If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your passport or travel document you should send evidence of the change of name
    Means marriage certificate.

Here's the form Guide

Do be sure to read through all the questions on the form and all the corresponding guidance notes. Especially those concerning Supporting Documents as there is some key information.

Take a special note that the ID used for Life in the UK test must also be enclosed with the naturalisation application.

Hope that helps and Good luck

Thanks sir

Guess shes going to be passport-less again for a few months lol .

Quote Originally Posted by mistermatty View Post
    Guess shes going to be passport-less again for a few months lol.
    ... not necessarily ... if she avails herself of the facilities offered by the 'National Checking Service' (operated by most major Local Authorities throughout the UK) which - as its title implies - will, for a small (by comparison) additional fee of between £60 & £70, ensure ALL supporting documents have been correctly completed, photocopied, etc. (while u wait!) ... before forwarding them direct to the Home Office, and return applicants' passports immediately thereafter.

Highly recommended!

As both great men have said before me, do as they say.

We went the checking route (an extra £60) but they check everything and they hand all your docs back so you can go on holiday with the old passport,

Just a thought, HOW TIME FLIES FOR ALL OF US, 3 YEARS

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... not necessarily ... if she avails herself of the facilities offered by the 'National Checking Service' (operated by most major Local Authorities throughout the UK) which - as its title implies - will, for a small (by comparison) additional fee of between £60 & £70, ensure ALL supporting documents have been correctly completed, photocopied, etc. (while u wait!) ... before forwarding them direct to the Home Office, and return applicants' passports immediately thereafter.

Highly recommended!
    Totally agree Arthur
    Very well worth it in my opinion. That's the path we took.

I know Steve took the same approach. It's painless, very helpful and gives you confidence in the application.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermatty View Post
    Well the princess 3 years comes to an end in the next week and shes able to apply for her UK citizenship , now her Pinnoy Passport is in her madien name along with her UK BRP now i recall reading that we can put the application in her marrried surname and enclose our marriage certficate etc as proof as it make sense for her citizenship certficate to be in her maiden name which will support her UK Passport application .

Anyone done this or have and advice to add , Terpe , Stevewool ??
    Hello mistermatty, hope you don't mind me asking if your wife also needs to submit pass certificate of English level B1 with the other requirements? I am really sorry if I am interrupting your post . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAT View Post
    Hello mistermatty, hope you don't mind me asking if your wife also needs to submit pass certificate of English level B1 with the other requirements? I am really sorry if I am interrupting your post . Thanks
    , Pat ... the new regulation you've mentioned will only affect those who apply after October 28th this year (or so I'm given to understand, anyway).

Respected Member

advice regarding name change on form an1

Hi Terpe, my wife and step daughter are just about to apply for citizenship. We have the same situation as Mistermatty, my wife's maiden name is on her BRP permit and passport, but she would like to change her details on the AN1 citizenship application form to her married name,my surname. I have read your post regarding your helpful advice, but she is wondering in what name does she sign the declaration at the end of application form AN1 - does she use her maiden name, or does she use her married name?

Officially, she is only known by her maiden name on her passport and BRP permit.

Respected Member
    Hi Mistermatty, I'm looking for a little advice from you.

My wife and stepdaughter are applying for citizenship very soon, and like your situation, my wife wishes to use her married name on the citizenship application, as her passport and BRP permit are still in her maiden name.

Can you advise me if your wife signed the declaration in her married or maiden name at the end of the AN1 CITIZENSHIP application form, as I'm not sure which mine should use.

Thread Information