Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    just loving all this.

now--idea#2

my lady applies from the filis for visit visa to las vegas--next spring ---say.

at the same time--she applies for a shenghan visa for---say--holland (nearest to UK --lots speak our language )

we marry in las vegas--then on to holland--live there 3-6 months--newlyweds

then i get a family permit to bring her back here.

have i gone wrong somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    just loving all this.

now--idea#2

my lady applies from the filis for visit visa to las vegas--next spring ---say.

at the same time--she applies for a shenghan visa for---say--holland (nearest to UK --lots speak our language )

we marry in las vegas--then on to holland--live there 3-6 months--newlyweds

then i get a family permit to bring her back here.

have i gone wrong somewhere?
    You'll need to be exercising treaty rights in Holland .... (means residing AND working and both of you in possession of the required local residence docs/cards)....but in principle looks OK.
    Worth doing your research for the nitty-gritty though. Especially concerning evidencing that your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsisting
    (that's a popular refusal by UKBA for EEA Family Permit)

Banned
    (means residing AND working

i'm retired now--but--could it be possible for my new wife to work?--or does it have to be me?

(means residing AND working

i'm retired now--but--could it be possible for my new wife to work?--or does it have to be me?
    Must be you as the EEA National exercising treaty rights.

Could be employed or self-employed.

Look like you'll need to research the conditions and income levels needed.

Banned
    aah well--at least the las vegas plan is a belter.

its hard to believe we first met nearly 2 years ago---and coped with almost a year's separation. shes here with me now for an extended holiday---but we need to start making plans for next year now.

thanks again for your advice Terpe---it really lifted my spirits.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Must be you as the EEA National exercising treaty rights.

That's why I am renouncing by UK nationality so that I only have my Irish nationality (dual at present). That way I can take my wife to UK without a family permit or a visa. She has been to Gibraltar a couple of time 'I was practicing'.

We live in Spain now.

wow can I do that to go to us get married then enter uk

what about giving up her philippine passport and becoming stateless therefore she won,t come under philippine laws lol

Respected Member
    Terpe will probably know the answer to that

after seeing so many bigmac avatars is makin me hungry I link i,ll go and have one haha

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    wow can I do that to go to us get married then enter uk
    I would hardly think it's going to be easy getting a Visit Visa for your Philippine National into a country the sponsor DOESN'T reside

The Americans themselves have a much harder time getting the spouse and fiancee visas than us British do. We aren't the only civilized country having trouble keeping out undesirables. In fact the America's are the No1 destination.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I would hardly think it's going to be easy getting a Visit Visa for your Philippine National into a country the sponsor DOESN'T reside

The Americans themselves have a much harder time getting the spouse and fiancee visas than us British do. We aren't the only civilized country having trouble keeping out undesirables. In fact the America's are the No1 destination.
    your right I was actually told that it was virtually impossible to get a tourist visa to the U.s but half my family are in the states but still it won,t matter.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    your right I was actually told that it was virtually impossible to get a tourist visa to the U.s but half my family are in the states but still it won,t matter.
    It's not really virtually impossible. It depends on the consul's discretion. At least in getting a US tourist visa, the applicant would be interviewed upon submission of application and the result would be known right away. My best friend got a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa. Only a few questions were asked to her, like the purpose of visit, where to stay and the duration of the visit. That's it. She got the visa. She said the consul barely looked at her documents and just interviewed her. The consul would decide based on the documents submitted and the interview. I'm guessing they have a way to see if someone's being genuine in the interview or not.

I applied for a tourist visa before. But I was refused on the fact that I was only working for a year in my company that time (after coming back from working in Singapore) and they think I might look for another job in the US. That was their ground for refusal. Then after a year, I was granted a working visa for my company but I never got to used it. When I go back to the Philippines, I'm going to apply for a US tourist visa again.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

when i got married 2nd time in florida we was told to take lots of things but all that was asked was passports no birth certs no devorce papers i had been married before and had paperwork to prove i was free to remarry but they never asked just paid the fee and married couple days have look at there site its got wedding requirements there its Stay Happy, Stay In Love Wedding Chapel
    www.stayhappystayinloveweddingchapels.com

Why does a tourist need to have a sponsor living in the country they want to visit ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    when i got married 2nd time in florida we was told to take lots of things but all that was asked was passports no birth certs no devorce papers i had been married before and had paperwork to prove i was free to remarry but they never asked just paid the fee and married couple days have look at there site its got wedding requirements there its Stay Happy, Stay In Love Wedding Chapel
    www.stayhappystayinloveweddingchapels.com
    The problem is not going to be with the British citizen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Why does a tourist need to have a sponsor living in the country they want to visit ?
    You know what i mean End of the day the Filipino is going to have to prove they are coming back home. Like i said, if their own citizens get a tough time of it what makes one think the Filipino partnering a British citizen won't .

Yes, ''sponsor'' was the wrong word

The Filipino still has to prove they have the means to stay. .I wonder where that's coming from ....yes, the trusty old Brit of course. ..sponsorship by stealth

You know what i mean End of the day the Filipino is going to have to prove they are coming back home. Like i said, if their own citizens get a tough time of it what makes one think the Filipino partnering a British citizen won't .

Yes, ''sponsor'' was the wrong word

The Filipino still has to prove they have the means to stay. .I wonder where that's coming from ....yes, the trusty old Brit of course. ..sponsorship by stealth
    well ive got a question if thats the case how can my g f prove she has the funds to stay when she is a housewife coz I support her as we have been living together as man and wife in the philippines for nearly 3 years ,plus what visa do I actually apply for if we travel together to visit and stay at my own house for 6 months

Banned
    well ive got a question if thats the case how can my g f prove she has the funds to stay when she is a housewife coz I support her as we have been living together as man and wife in the philippines for nearly 3 years ,plus what visa do I actually apply for if we travel together to visit and stay at my own house for 6 months
    You will be the sponsor. .unlike both going as tourists to visit USA. You are a British citizen, even though you will be visiting you will have to show u can support her stay here.

When the ex mother in law came over we got a family visit Visa.

You state you been living as husband and wife so I would say a visit Visa. When I did the woman's, I got professional advice. .I suggest likewise. Unlike spouse and fiance the visit and tourist visas are a bit grey. Don't trust well meaning hearsay.

As a Brit you can come and go as you wish.
    If your g/f wants to VISIT UK then she'll need to apply for a Visit Visa.
    Since you have been living together in a genuine and subsisting relationship like marriage for at least 2 years, then she'll have the option of applying for a Family Visit Visa.

She'll need to follow all the requirements of the Family Visit Visa and of course you'll need to prepare a letter of invitation and sponsorship.
    Your sponsorship will include financial support for funding of airfares and for accommodation and day-to-day maintenance.
    Since you are actually living in the Philippines it should (theoretically) be somewhat easier to demonstrate good reasons to return. However, be prepared to overcome the ECO's presumption that there's an immigration intent.

If you're seriously considering a Family Visit Visa don't get too hung up on the myriad stories of refusal reasons. Just do it.
    The cost is relatively low and any initial refusal may be easily countered and enable a subsequent application to be granted.

As a Brit you can come and go as you wish.
    If your g/f wants to VISIT UK then she'll need to apply for a Visit Visa.
    Since you have been living together in a genuine and subsisting relationship like marriage for at least 2 years, then she'll have the option of applying for a Family Visit Visa.

She'll need to follow all the requirements of the Family Visit Visa and of course you'll need to prepare a letter of invitation and sponsorship.
    Your sponsorship will include financial support for funding of airfares and for accommodation and day-to-day maintenance.
    Since you are actually living in the Philippines it should (theoretically) be somewhat easier to demonstrate good reasons to return. However, be prepared to overcome the ECO's presumption that there's an immigration intent.

If you're seriously considering a Family Visit Visa don't get too hung up on the myriad stories of refusal reasons. Just do it.
    The cost is relatively low and any initial refusal may be easily countered and enable a subsequent application to be granted.
    good answer my friend so you reckon family visit visa is the way forward

good answer my friend so you reckon family visit visa is the way forward
    I might have to backtrack somewhat as I'm not 100% certain that Family Visit is correct given that you'll be travelling together.
    If you were already in UK then it would be.
    Maybe a good idea to check with the Embassy first or just let it be understood that your in UK already.

Maybe someone here can confirm?

Banned
    for what its worth--my lady got a general visit visa. her 1st app was refused because of some trivial bank a/c anomaly--which was then sorted--and 2nd app was successful.

for what its worth--my lady got a general visit visa. her 1st app was refused because of some trivial bank a/c anomaly--which was then sorted--and 2nd app was successful.
    ok cheers my only worry is that i don,t have any savings ive got 550 a week comin in showing in my bank statement but i,m extending my house here so im spending what comes in

Banned
    going back to the las vegas wedding idea---a question arises:

if we go this route--and my new wife then returns to the filis---what about her passport--? it will still have to be in her current--married name--surely--so--will this be acceptable to UKBA--when she applies for a spouse visa--married to me?

If you were to get married anywhere in the world, her passport will remain in her maiden name until such time as she changes her passport under her married name.

Some folks don't change their passport to reflect their married name until the passport need renewing... no problem at all with UKBA.
    The marriage certificate provides the 'paper trail' and connection.

What's your concern ?
    What's on you mind ?

Respected Member
    Some folks don't change their passport to reflect their married name until the passport need renewing... no problem at all with UKBA.

And some women don't ever change their name. In Spain by law they cannot do so and in UK they can choose whether to or not. In fact there is no UK law which says they can change their name but equally there is no law which says they cannot, that most do, is just a custom, supported by Common Law.

Thus it is not a UK legal requirement for a woman to change her name on marriage. As Terpe says, the marriage cert confirms her married status.

Banned
    If you were to get married anywhere in the world, her passport will remain in her maiden name until such time as she changes her passport under her married name.

The marriage certificate provides the 'paper trail' and connection.

What's your concern ?
    What's on you mind ?
    reassuring replies guys--thanks

whats on my mind ?

we didnt want to end up in a no-mans land--married in america--yet still lacking proper documents to facilitate a spouse visa.

we are adopting a 3-prong approach to the next year or so:

1--las vegas wedding---doo able---but leaves a risk should my wife want to visit the filis at some future date---bigamy charge

2--annulment--weve now discovered the 2 year timescale may well be drastically reduced. say--to 3 months--?? sounds like a plan

3--the 2 year relationship way: weve now got a UK bank account--in both names--at my address--a useful start to the papertrail---which may well help if we decide to go for fiancee --or spouse visa in 6 months time.

anything else we need to do--at this stage ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post

And some women don't ever change their name. In Spain by law they cannot do so and in UK they can choose whether to or not. In fact there is no UK law which says they can change their name but equally there is no law which says they cannot, that most do, is just a custom, supported by Common Law.

Thus it is not a UK legal requirement for a woman to change her name on marriage. As Terpe says, the marriage cert confirms her married status.
    An excellent custom at that.....Especially when children come about in the union There's nothing like being a Mr and Mrs all using the same name as eachother

Trusted Member
    Totally agree Mark...'family values', respect for your kids, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information