Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Rip off britain

Rip off britain

Just had a look at the visa application although it states the spouse visa fee is £860 when converted to dollars it comes to £903. $1404 = £903. Ok its only £43 but its still a rip off.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Agreed!

its always been that way because of the fluctuation btw the php and £, they change it regularly so they never lose out
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Yes, it is a rip off. What's worse is that you are expected to pay this as a British citizen to bring your wife here, yet if you are European and want to bring your wife here with you, then you pay far less for a EEA permit. I can understand why so many British people are being forced into taking the 'Surinder Singh' route to get around the high VISA costs and ludicrous financial requirements.

You may also incur an additional fee from your bank for the dollar to sterling conversion, so it could be another £25 on top of that figure Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy_uk View Post
    ..... I can understand why so many British people are being forced into taking the 'Surinder Singh' route to get around the high VISA costs and ludicrous financial requirements...
    Not disagreeing at all with your sentiments. It's all injust imo.
    However, do not be fooled into thinking that there are that many Brits opting to take that route. It's not an easy option and there are many challenges. Only a few Brits can actually manage to relocate, then face and overcome those challenges. Most Brits would rather take up additional UK employments and meet the income thresholds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Not disagreeing at all with your sentiments. It's all injust imo.
    However, do not be fooled into thinking that there are that many Brits opting to take that route. It's not an easy option and there are many challenges. Only a few Brits can actually manage to relocate, then face and overcome those challenges. Most Brits would rather take up additional UK employments and meet the income thresholds.
    I agree, far easier to take up additonal employment here or even get a better paid job..if one is willing to up sticks and move to mainland Europe then surely much less stressful and conveient to stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I agree, far easier to take up additonal employment here or even get a better paid job..if one is willing to up sticks and move to mainland Europe then surely much less stressful and conveient to stay put.
    from what i can remember there is no time limit you have to show you've been exercising your treaty rights in another EU country, thou many people recommend 3 months to provide more solid evidence you've been working in that EU country.

but there is nothing stopping you becoming self employed in that EU country, i'm sure there are loop holes around this that some people are using
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    from what i can remember there is no time limit you have to show you've been exercising your treaty rights in another EU country, thou many people recommend 3 months to provide more solid evidence you've been working in that EU country.

but there is nothing stopping you becoming self employed in that EU country, i'm sure there are loop holes around this that some people are using
    Between 3 & 6 months is the most common.
    There are some formalities that need to be completed anyway and these can often take quite some time.

I have often suggested the benefits of this route, but folks shouldn't be complacent about the challenges.
    Upping sticks and setting up in another country, even short term, isn't everyones cuppa.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi sir terpe,

I just would like to ask for your advice, will it affect my british citizenship application next year if we separated and no longer live in one house with my hubby sir? Thanks a lot sir terpe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimfa View Post
    Hi sir terpe,

I just would like to ask for your advice, will it affect my british citizenship application next year if we separated and no longer live in one house with my hubby sir? Thanks a lot sir terpe.
    your not divorced ? if not your still married to a British citizen and i think you can still apply after 3yrs in the UK as a spouse of a British citizen, but check with your local nationality checking service to see what they say first, as i wouldn't want you to waste your money

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Between 3 & 6 months is the most common.
    i agree with what your saying, but i think there is no set time limit you need to be working, that's probably at the discretion of the HO if they believe you have been working and exercising your treaty rights.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    No and yes we are still married?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimfa View Post
    No and yes we are still married?
    yes i think you can, but check with the nationality checking service

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...vicelocations/

Thread Information