Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Evidence of accommodation for spouse visa

Hey all,

My spouse visa application has finally gotten to the front of the queue the VFS website warned about. The thing is, though, the ECO wants "Evidence of ownership/rental or mortgage/ and size [sic] of the property that will be available to you in the UK". The evidence of ownership is not a problem, but how exactly do we prove the size of the house in which we'll be living? Do pictures of the rooms suffice? Do I need to practically stalk the house online and take screenshots of Google Earth showing the different rooms? What did you use to prove your accommodations were enough?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    Denise

Quote Originally Posted by dontpushme View Post
    Hey all,

My spouse visa application has finally gotten to the front of the queue the VFS website warned about. The thing is, though, the ECO wants "Evidence of ownership/rental or mortgage/ and size [sic] of the property that will be available to you in the UK". The evidence of ownership is not a problem, but how exactly do we prove the size of the house in which we'll be living? Do pictures of the rooms suffice? Do I need to practically stalk the house online and take screenshots of Google Earth showing the different rooms? What did you use to prove your accommodations were enough?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    Denise
    Hi.... We submitted Deeds, Council tax bill and an original estate agent brochure from when I bought the property which detailed the number of rooms and room sizes. This seemed to be enough.... I also stated that the property was solely owned by myself and that only my wife and myself would be living at the property in the covering letter

Hope this helps...

Thanks, Steve! In our case, my husband insists that he wants me to be there for the house-hunting so we don't have a house yet. In the meantime, we'll be living with my in-laws, who've owned their house for over 12 years. I don't know if they still have anything that shows number of rooms. However, I'm able to look up their address and find property details for the neighborhood. It looks like all the houses in the area have the same number of bedrooms. I just need to find a way to explain that to the ECO without looking like I stalk my own in-laws.

Thanks, Steve! In our case, my husband insists that he wants me to be there for the house-hunting so we don't have a house yet. In the meantime, we'll be living with my in-laws, who've owned their house for over 12 years. I don't know if they still have anything that shows number of rooms. However, I'm able to look up their address and find property details for the neighborhood. It looks like all the houses in the area have the same number of bedrooms. I just need to find a way to explain that to the ECO without looking like I stalk my own in-laws.
    I suggest you include a letter from your in-laws confirming your proposed arrangement together with proof that they own the property. You'll need to prove that there is ample room for the both of you, so they'll need to detail all the rooms and how many people are living there and it may be wise to include a selection of photos of the property both inside and out.
    If you've got enough time it may be worth investing in a property inspection report.

Denise,

Agree with all that Marco suggests.
    As part of the supporting evidence you are required to provide details of the accommodation.
    If not owned by you, then you need written permission from the owners that you can live there.

In principle the ECO needs to be satisfied that:-

- The accommodation is availability and adequate
    - That (where applicable) the permission of the owner of the accommodation has been given
    - That no additional public funds will be necessary for accommodating the applicant in cases where the sponsor lives in accommodation from public funds.
    - It is (or will be) owned or legally occupied for the exclusive use of the couple
    - It is capable of accommodating the couple, and any children, without overcrowding as defined in the Housing Act 1985
    - There is no breach of any tenancy agreement as regards sub-letting

One thing I would suggest is to secure a copy of the Title Register from the Land Registry. This can be done online at small charge and is very quick.
    You must get the demanded information back to the ECO asap.

Thanks, Marco and Terpe! I have the Title Register from the Land Registry, and I've already submitted the letter from my father-in-law confirming our arrangement. I guess "that the accommodation is adequate" is the ECO's main concern with my application. I don't think I have time to have a property inspection done and a report filed. Sending pictures of the property, inside and out, is what I've been considering. I guess that's the best I can do right now. Hopefully, they're enough.

As a Filipino, I have no sense of "overcrowding".

Yay! I got an email today telling me my passport and visa were being sent by courier! Thanks for all your help! That was actually faster than I expected. They only got my additional documents on Tuesday afternoon.

I ended up sending insurance documents, mortgage documents, and the title registry. The insurance documents proved the number of rooms in the house.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm panicking a bit now because of all the things I want to do before I leave.

Yay! I got an email today telling me my passport and visa were being sent by courier! Thanks for all your help! That was actually faster than I expected. They only got my additional documents on Tuesday afternoon.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm panicking a bit now because of all the things I want to do before I leave.
    Well done & Congratulations.

Your Spouse Visa should be issued with 33 months validty. Although I've no idea what travel date you requested.
    Anyways, you only need 30 months living in UK to be eligible for the next step further leave visa (FLR(M). Normally 3 months is enough time to get everything sorted.
    I expect you'll both be making the return trip before too long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

Your Spouse Visa should be issued with 33 months validty. Although I've no idea what travel date you requested.
    Anyways, you only need 30 months living in UK to be eligible for the next step further leave visa (FLR(M). Normally 3 months is enough time to get everything sorted.
    I expect you'll both be making the return trip before too long anyway.
    We just got our passport and visa back Terpe.

Valid from 26/06/13-26/11/15.
    When I went to school that added up to 29 months........Wonder why that is?????Anyone else had that???

Wishing you all th best My wife will soon be sorting out all this, and submit her Visa Appliccation.
    She has the folder I took over in July just got to add the last few pay slips, works contract details & a few print screensb& skype logs for the last few months.

For accomadation:
    I copied my dads title deeds and he sent a covering letter for that and his permission and blessing for us to live here.
    I took photos of the rooms and put a pic of Angeline & I in each photo. Gave dimensions of our room and had that confirmed in my dads cover letter, also stating how much I paid Board & lodge ecah month which relates to withdrawls from my bank shown on statement.
    Take care

God bless you both.

John
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post
    We just got our passport and visa back Terpe.

Valid from 26/06/13-26/11/15.
    When I went to school that added up to 29 months........Wonder why that is?????Anyone else had that???
    I can't answer that Robbie.

If the immigration journey for Guernsey follows that of UK then your wife be required to reach 30 months living in UK to be eligible for application of the second period of 30 months FLR

Better check with your immigration guys over there.
    As it stands (albeit against UK rules) it appears that your wife cannot reach the required 30 months. (it's allowable to make application max 28 days prior to the end of the 30 month residence.)

Maybe whoever prepared the visa can't add up?

I can't answer that Robbie.

If the immigration journey for Guernsey follows that of UK then your wife be required to reach 30 months living in UK to be eligible for application of the second period of 30 months FLR

Better check with your immigration guys over there.
    As it stands (albeit against UK rules) it appears that your wife cannot reach the required 30 months. (it's allowable to make application max 28 days prior to the end of the 30 month residence.)

Maybe whoever prepared the visa can't add up?
    Very strange.Its a normal uk visa and does not say anything about Guernsey on the visa at all.Guernsey just makes the decision about the visa being granted but they told me its just a normal run of the mill visa with the usual uk rules. il bet this is going to come back and bite me at some point and il wager u r right and they have miscalculated!

Very strange.Its a normal uk visa and does not say anything about Guernsey on the visa at all.Guernsey just makes the decision about the visa being granted but they told me its just a normal run of the mill visa with the usual uk rules. il bet this is going to come back and bite me at some point and il wager u r right and they have miscalculated!
    You're not the first to have major corrections needed with UK Visa, and likely will not be the last.
    My advice would be to regularise that visa sooner rather than later. There's been many panic moments from members here who have let things slip to the few weeks before visa expiry.
    I'm pretty sure that the Immigration guys in your local office can sort it out painlessly, unlike the huge chaotic organisation here in mainland UK.

You're not the first to have major corrections needed with UK Visa, and likely will not be the last.
    My advice would be to regularise that visa sooner rather than later. There's been many panic moments from members here who have let things slip to the few weeks before visa expiry.
    I'm pretty sure that the Immigration guys in your local office can sort it out painlessly, unlike the huge chaotic organisation here in mainland UK.
    Well I stand corrected!Called the Immigration Dpt this morning and was told that when Uk kept changing the rules,Guernsey on the other hand did not so after at 27 months my wife can apply for the right to remain indefinately.HAPPY DAYS!!

Well I stand corrected!Called the Immigration Dpt this morning and was told that when Uk kept changing the rules,Guernsey on the other hand did not so after at 27 months my wife can apply for the right to remain indefinately.HAPPY DAYS!!
    I had an idea that Guernsey rules might be different.
    Didn't realise still so short to secure ILR though

Lucky guys

Do you have a Life in UK test with special appendix and questions for Guernsey?

I know that's the case for IoM

Glad to learn it's all sorted, well done.

Thanks, Terpe! I forgot to give them a travel date, but I'm leaving on the 13th so I'll have more than enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by songz777 View Post
    Wishing you all th best My wife will soon be sorting out all this, and submit her Visa Appliccation.
    Thanks, John! I think your wife won't have to wait as long as I did. Apparently, the embassy's busy season coincides with UK summers.

Thread Information