Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Change the law to better protect vulnerable children like Daniel Pelka

I've signed it, and hope many more people will, and hopefully his tragic death might bring a change in the law and save other children from being tortured

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...e-daniel-pelka
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Just signed it
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Rayna

sums up how many people feel about this and other deaths of children.

Daniel Pelka's parents aren't the only ones to blame - so why is no one accountable?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...arents-2121112
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

signed

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    There is no need for a change in the law, but existing law needs to be implemented.

As I said in another post, as a servicing police office I used to regularly attend case conferences regarding suspected mistreatment of children. I prosecuted in appropriate cases. Had I not I would have been open to disciplinary proceedings and the sack. losing my pension rights too.

I am not sure this will help. Certainly this sort of situation needs to be reveiwed but making someone a scapegoat is not the answer.

I work for a local authority and visit school age children in their homes, sometimes kids with a difficult background. My role is just to deliver and set up laptops so these children can continue their education from home. However, myself and all my colleagues have had Child protection training, which in essence means thas its already our duty to report anything we feel as not quite right in the households we are visiting. I report anything to my immediate superior which is then passed on to the local authority child protection team who then act accordingly. I should think this setup is the same in all local authorities so its already in place. Whats more likely is that for some reason this has failed and clearly this should be investigated as i am sure it will be.

The child protection training we receive has to be repeated about every two years. Its not very exciting and has little or nothing to do with my role which is technical, however if noticing something, however small, in a household and having the infrastructure in place to report that back and being fully aware of it is obviously very important and might save a life.

I also monitor kids internet and laptop usage and this also gets reported back to Child protection should i find anything. Without gong into details we have already saved a girl being groomed, one sending pictures of herself to adults, one being abused by her father and many more difficult situations. So there are some measures in place already.

My work however does not involve children that young but other staff within the large team i work with do deal with children this age.

A very very sad situation but i don't think this petition is the answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    There is no need for a change in the law, but existing law needs to be implemented.

As I said in another post, as a servicing police office I used to regularly attend case conferences regarding suspected mistreatment of children. I prosecuted in appropriate cases. Had I not I would have been open to disciplinary proceedings and the sack. loosing my pension rights too.
    Quite right however nowadays the public sector are encouraged to get away with - failures result in reward and/or promotion. Sackings, disciplinary procedures and loss of pension are taboo.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Dedworth
    the problem is that if one keeps bringing in laws to ensure that people are doing their jobs in enforcing existing laws, then one will be need to bring in new laws to ensure the new laws (as well as the original ones) are being implemented. That could go on forever.

However it is time that people are backed up for doing their jobs so that they have the courage to do so. At present it is all too easy for people to claim compensation, thus encouraging officialdom to look the other way.

Like unemployed part time newspaper sellers being allowed to walk through police cordons for fear that if they are stopped the police officer will be in trouble.

social services, the school( headmaster, teachers , school nurse), GP and police had at least 22 chances to protect this 4yr old boy, they didn't, the only time i believe the police were called was when they finally took him to hospital 12hrs after they broke him arm , and it was a Doctor who contacted the police.

if people cant be bothered to take action then the law must be changed so people are forced to take action.

we will wait for the report, and see if anyone is blamed for this, i doubt they will, the outcome will be more contact btw different departments

Thread Information