Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Smile Safety in Manila, money, travel etc

Hi, Will be travelling to Manila to meet my gf on 14th. Just looking for some advice from those who have been there already.

Can I use my debit card to withdraw cash & pay for stuff? I don't really want to be taking a lot of cash over there if possible; maybe £50 max. My gf has our savings in her bank account so of course we will use that while we are there.

I've heard also that taxis can rip you off; what's the best kind of cab to use?

We have a friend who is arranging a good/safe hotel for us while we are there so should be ok on that account.

Also, i'm taking some gifts too, Barbie doll, some small items of jewellery, picture frame, watch, kiddies book and an old kindle & mobile phone; are these items allowed?

Anything else I need to know safety wise other than the obvious don't talk to strangers etc...?

many thanks in advance
    Last edited by Scrutiny61; 1st August 2013 at 12:20. Reason: additions

Yes you can use a debit card but to withdraw cash is probably the most expensive way to use it.

Have a look a t getting a CAXTON card where you preload it with money online beforehand and can use it in an ATM.

DONT get travellers cheques....they are next to useless and very difficult to change.

I would advise taking some cash but spread it out in several wallets or pockets. Never show anyone you have a big wad of notes.

Taxis can rip you off, the normal trick is giving you a fixed price and not turning on the meter. Catching a taxi from the airport they will give you a price beforehand on a slip of paper. Dont fall for the trick of the taxi driver saying they have no change. Make sure you have rioughly the right money.

Get your GF to pay /talk to the taxi driver.

Gifts seem ok, your hosts will expect passalubong (if thats spelt right)!

It will be hard NOT to talk to strangers because everyone is very friendly. Its ok to talk just be on your guard.

better tell your bank your going to be using your debit card j outside the Uk, just in case they block it and also have the contact number for the right department in case they do
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I just came back from cebu.

I bought a wallet from a company called pacsafe. It has a tamper proof chain that connects it to a loop in your shorts or trousers. Was well worth it. Cost about £23 online. I also used a waterproof money belt but generally only put my mobile in there. Kept my passport and travel documents in a security box at the hotel. Dont leave valuables under the bed at the hotel when you are out.

I got a pre load travel credit card from thompson and it worked out cheaper than a debit card. Exchange rate was excellent also. Most ATM machines have a guard. I found homeless people sleeping outside machines at night so best to withdraw funds during the day. There is a 200 peso fee for all withdrawals.

enjoy your trip. I cant wait to go back.

be aware when walking around. Make sure taxis have meters and get your girlfriend to talk to them. If you are on your own in a taxi they might take a longer way. Get familiar with as many routes as you can.

i took caxton pre pay card, and cash

Hi all, thx for the great advice :-)

Hopefully the hotel will have a safe deposit box for passport, cards, etc...

Funnily enough my gf thinks she will get ripped off by taxis too as she's from Illigan and she's worried they'll recognise her accent and take advantage hahaha

So, what can I reasonably expect to be charged from say the airport to Makati?

Cheers :-)

Trusted Member
    Hi mate.

If you're flying into NAIA airport, Manila, when you've passed through all the customs etc, you'll be in Arrivals.

Go upstairs to the front of DEPARTURES and simply flag a white taxi that has just dropped passengers off. That way you'll avoid all the expensive fixed price airport taxis and the various touts.

Tell him where you want to go. Put your bags on the back seat, not in the boot, then you can easily exit from it if you need to.

Taxis are easy, but be assertive and simply point to the meter and tell them to put it on. It's the law there. If they won't, just get out and get in another one. There's no shortage of them.

Pay the price on the meter, plus maybe 10% tip.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Taxis are easy, but be assertive and simply point to the meter and tell them to put it on. It's the law there. If they won't, just get out and get in another one. There's no shortage of them.

Pay the price on the meter, plus maybe 10% tip.
    beware of the whiteman tax
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    The last time I was taking Keith to the airport on his last day in Manila, a hotel security guard waved a taxi for us. When we were on the road, the taxi driver told us we need to pay Php400 (a fixed price) because of the traffic. The meter was on, mind you, and he still told us that. Keith told him to stop and drop us on the side of the road and we'll just get another taxi. The driver then told us to pay Php300 and Keith was firm to say NO. Keith told him that he would report him to the authorities if he keeps on insisting a fixed price. The driver shut up and just continued driving. When we arrived in the departure area of NAIA Terminal 1, the meter said Php150 (more or less) and we paid the exact amount. Then Keith told the driver "I could've given you an extra (which we usually did) but you don't deserve it."
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

when we needed a taxi my misses would phone for one, and when it arrived she would go outside and get a set price, and once they agreed she would shout me to come outside and get in the taxi some of the taxi drivers faces when they saw me, it looked like they just lost the lottery

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    beware of the whiteman tax
    Sorry...not applicable to Yorkshiremen.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    The last time I was taking Keith to the airport on his last day in Manila, a hotel security guard waved a taxi for us. When we were on the road, the taxi driver told us we need to pay Php400 (a fixed price) because of the traffic. The meter was on, mind you, and he still told us that. Keith told him to stop and drop us on the side of the road and we'll just get another taxi. The driver then told us to pay Php300 and Keith was firm to say NO. Keith told him that he would report him to the authorities if he keeps on insisting a fixed price. The driver shut up and just continued driving. When we arrived in the departure area of NAIA Terminal 1, the meter said Php150 (more or less) and we paid the exact amount. Then Keith told the driver "I could've given you an extra (which we usually did) but you don't deserve it."
    Exactly my own approach in such a situation.

If they're fair with me, they'll get a tip, and I'll tell them why.

If not...NOWT.

i hate airport taxis :( ... they charge so expensive and never ever have negotiation with them especially when they start asking whats ur hotel sir ... maybe i can pick u up..

What I normally do is to deposit money on my BDO account every month until the time of our holiday in the Philippines. For me that's hassle-free as I know how much we have in my account to spend throughout our holiday. With regards to taxis, I usually ask my mum to bring their own transport as we are 5 coming.
    You can bring any gifts. My oxfordshire stepdad (lol)usually brings with him bisto, for his roast dinner every Sunday, and all sort of ingredients that he can't buy there. He doesn't have to buy his fags there as my mum has her own supermarket. So he is like a chimney on Christmas Day or on winter time lol.
    Just always remember to look after yourself there. Let your gf talk to people when it comes to direction, haggling, and best place to eat and drink.
    Please drink distilled water, not those which are sold by men with bucket with ice and bottled water inside as those are not safe.
    My rule of thumb is if I'm not sure of something, I won't do it. It's the instinct. Never eat food that you know will upset your stomach.
    Enjoy your holiday.

Might be a good idea to take some peso's with you just to cover the taxi ride etc, saves messing around looking for a cashpoint when you land. A white taxi from the airport to Makati should be around 200 peso's as it's not too far. I've gone from Pasay to Ocean Park for less but it varies. Best to keep your luggage with you and not in the boot to be on the safe side too. Don't wear any noticeable jewellery and drop your bags at your hotel as soon as you can before venturing out.

Thread Information