Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Estrada to bring back the "baywalk"

x Manila Mayor Lim closed the old baywalk and in doing that many tourists stopped going to Manila
    Now Estrada is the new Manila Mayor and he wants to bring the baywalk back
    I am sure not everyone is going to be happy with this idea and the old baywalk area had a reputation for drug dealing and rampant prostitution.........

Trusted Member
    It is/was probably one of the most dangerous areas in Manila, and they'll certainly need to clear up the disgusting garbage and pollution, but how do you educate practically a whole population to stop just chucking their litter straight on the floor or into the nearest watercourse like the Pasig, which empties directly into the bay ?

If he really wants to bring Tourists back to Manila then its Ermita that needs to be revitalised!!Just saying.

Trusted Member
    I agree..and not forgetting the facilities once on offer there.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I agree..and not forgetting the facilities once on offer there. .
    I wonder how the poor Doctor in that STD clinic fared after Lim kicked out all his customers?Probably ended up treating the Squatters for bugger all!!

Trusted Member
    He probably upped sticks and went to AC or EDSA complex like everyone else.

Respected Member
    I thought that the Baywalk was actually quite pleasant. I went there many times and never encountered any problems.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    If he really wants to bring Tourists back to Manila then its Ermita that needs to be revitalised!!Just saying.
    When i was there last month some korean guy was shot in that area
    3 pinoys tried to mug the korean guy and when the korean guy fought back another pinoy guy shot him dead

Not sure what's meant by bringing the baywalk back - I mean, I've driven past and it looks still to be there?
    Didn't get out or anything, and yes it sort of looks like part of the game "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas" with dangerous vibe to go with it, but hey

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    x Manila Mayor Lim closed the old baywalk and in doing that many tourists stopped going to Manila
    Now Estrada is the new Manila Mayor and he wants to bring the baywalk back
    I am sure not everyone is going to be happy with this idea and the old baywalk area had a reputation for drug dealing and rampant prostitution.........

I think its cool!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baywalk
    Baywalk Manila is a popular venue at night with open-air cafes that serve local cuisines while onlookers may watch the Manila sunset. Many of the venues also feature music and live band performances. Local artists frequent the area and free mime, acrobatics, and other art performances can sometimes be found along the strip.

as with the reputation of drugs and prostitution , ain't any cities in the world got it too?? strange
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    At first, when Baywalk started to have some amusements like the mini-bars, food stations, entertainment acts, etc. it was really great because it's something new and the place became lively. But after a few weeks/months, I was dreading to go to that place or even pass by that area. Even my friends and I opted going to Baywalk in the afternoon because it was peaceful on those times. Baywalk had so much traffic, plenty of people hanging around, cars parked along the roads of Roxas Blvd. (not at designated parking spaces because it's always full) which causes more traffic, and plenty of drunks walking and causing commotion. Don't mention the snatchers hanging and lurking around to find their victims, and the solvent kids who take every opportunity to get some money from people going there.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

feeling excited if baywalk would be back...me and my officemates used to hang out there. I think prostitutions are more rampant in makati ave and jupiter st in makati not to mention the cafe hanava in greenbelt and starbucks infront of shangrila makati ;P

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Not sure what's meant by bringing the baywalk back - I mean, I've driven past and it looks still to be there?
    Didn't get out or anything, and yes it sort of looks like part of the game "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas" with dangerous vibe to go with it, but hey
    Baywalk now is nothing like what it use to be
    In the old days that was the main hang out area in Manila
    Mayor Lim was elected on the promise of closing baywalk down
    baywalk kind of became bigger and bigger and all the bad elements headed there
    yes baywalk is still there now but most of the shops/bars were shut down by Lim
    Lim really ended the baywalk in a matter of a few months

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by malditako View Post
    feeling excited if baywalk would be back...me and my officemates used to hang out there. I think prostitutions are more rampant in makati ave and jupiter st in makati not to mention the cafe hanava in greenbelt and starbucks infront of shangrila makati ;P
    I normally stay around the Burgos area when i am in Manila
    It is very tame when compared to what the baywalk use to be like

Makati and the Burgos Street area were outside Lim's control different mayor diba
    I find this side of MANILA much more safer than Malate and Ermita
    Policing/Security in Makati is good and its safe to walk around at night

Tondo is too near to Ermita for my liking

Mayor Estrada's latest bus/coach ban for Manila seems to be going down like a lead balloon

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I normally stay around the Burgos area when i am in ManilaIt is very tame when compared to what the baywalk use to be likeMakati and the Burgos Street area were outside Lim's control different mayor diba I find this side of MANILA much more safer than Malate and ErmitaPolicing/Security in Makati is good and its safe to walk around at nightTondo is too near to Ermita for my liking Mayor Estrada's latest bus/coach ban for Manila seems to be going down like a lead balloon
    I dont think he cares,much about illegal, colorum bus operators moaning and bitching.. Legally operating buses with proper terminals are not affected as far as I can tell..It`s definitely gonna cause commuters problems for a while.. No doubt about it but I reckon that long term this kind of ordinance will make a big noticeable difference to Manila..I will watch with great interest in Eraps future ordinances in the future.Time for change.

Bear with us for a while -- Erap.....................................................................................................................................................................“PANSAMANTALANG sakripisyo ay magbubunga ng pangmatagalang ginhawa sa lahat.” This was emphasized by Manila Mayor Joseph E. Estrada in appealing for public cooperation and patience over the ongoing traffic reforms in the city. “We cannot stand still. We must keep on trying all possible solutions,” he added. The traffic problem occupied public attention following the implementation last July 23 of a Manila City ordinance banning all buses without terminals in the city. The mayor also called for discipline for both the commuters and transport drivers. “Sumunod tayo sa pinag-uutos ng mga alituntunin. Ang batas ay batas na dapat sundin.”As a parallel effort to solve the traffic problem, Estrada disclosed the establishment of a traffic control command center in city hall. “The CCTV cameras and other gadgets now in place in bottleneck areas will help us monitor traffic congestion and act promptly. The center will be manned 24 hours by expert personnel.”Estrada deplored that the traffic congestion which has pestered over the years is inflicting huge harm on the local and national economy. “The impeded flow of goods and services coupled by enormous losses in productive man-hours could amount to millions of losses daily,” he said.The mayor has also been conducting dialogues with transport groups and other multi-sectoral sectors to solicit their inputs. He stressed that all hands should be on deck.Meanwhile, traffic czar Vice Mayor Isko Moreno has been personally monitoring the effective and smooth implementation of the ordinance. He apologized for the initial inconvenience the riding public suffered during its initial day of implementation.“Sa simula lang ’yan. Konti pang sakripisyo. ’Di magtatagal lahat tayo ay makikinabang,” Moreno said.After a four-day ban implementation, traffic congestion considerably eased in bottleneck areas like around city hall, Liwasang Bonifacio, Quiapo, España, C.M. Recto and Taft Avenue. Moreno expects these improvements in most parts of the city shortly.http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php/...r-a-while-erap

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I dont think he cares,much about illegal, colorum bus operators moaning and bitching.. Legally operating buses with proper terminals are not affected as far as I can tell..It`s definitely gonna cause commuters problems for a while.. No doubt about it but I reckon that long term this kind of ordinance will make a big noticeable difference to Manila..I will watch with great interest in Eraps future ordinances in the future.Time for change.
    Estrada does seem to have a few good ideas and i have always thought that all those buses causes so much congestion in Manila

Something needed to be done

Thread Information