Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: what bank

what bank

what bank,
    with regard to sending monies to philippines,

i have my own bank, rbs,

i have world remit for remittance,

i did application to pnb europe, they returned my documents, with no letter to tell me if i get an account or not,

bpi online application does not work, they haven't answered my email, which puts doubt on both bpi and pnb for their reliability,

i read Nationwide are quite reasonable charges for transfers to philippine banks, but don't know if they give a good exchange rate,

im thinking to split my money between banks here in uk anyway, rather than have too much in one single bank,

most applications for accounts online , require documents, recent bills ect of present address,
    im running out of time to have a present address with utility bills to match,for a new address i will have no utility bills,

thought about hsbc but again online application, and dont have much time now even at the nearest branch in person, but then there isn't one so local to me,

so was thinking just to open a second local bank account,,, nationwide, halifax ect if these are reasonable on transfers,
    im looking at amounts to send safely from £1000 to £5000 per transaction,im not happy to risk bigger amounts in a single transaction,

smaller amounts im ok with world remit,
    i have too much to do now without being delayed by none responding online applications,

so any recommendations, ideas on which banks, ie nationwide / halifax ect appreciated

dont know Stewart, have you got the time to go into the local branch of both of them, i read ages ago that nationwide did a cracking debit card and i am sure then did not charge you for using it abroad either

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    dont know Stewart, have you got the time to go into the local branch of both of them, i read ages ago that nationwide did a cracking debit card and i am sure then did not charge you for using it abroad either
    yes theres a nationwide also halifax and tsb, in the main town just 20 min drive away

hsbc have banks in the phils, but don't know what the costs are to transfer money from a uk or phils one.
    http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/home
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    hsbc have banks in the phils, but don't know what the costs are to transfer money from a uk or phils one.
    http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/home
    only problem is at the phil end the nearest hsb is quite a way away from where i will be, maybe result in more charges, like for cash cards in atm charges , or transfering to a local phil bank

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    only problem is at the phil end the nearest hsb is quite a way away from where i will be, maybe result in more charges, like for cash cards in atm charges , or transfering to a local phil bank
    HSBC is probably a good bank for starters. but as you have said their branches are limited. They used to have no charge if you used a foreign ATM card in their machines. Fund transfers were very easy as well using online banking.

Have a look at BDO or Metrobank and see if they are competitive.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    We use PNB internet banking to transfer from our UK bank, Check the PNB exchange rate and transfer via your PNB internet banking and my UK bank just charge £5 per any transaction up to £5000 Stewart!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    We use PNB internet banking to transfer from our UK bank, Check the PNB exchange rate and transfer via your PNB internet banking and my UK bank just charge £5 per any transaction up to £5000 Stewart!
    i applied for pnb europe , filled out the application, paid my doctor for signing a photo copy of my passport, enclosed utility bills,and posted it off, all they did was send my utility bill back to me, no letter to tell me if i get account or not, not even an email

i applied for pnb europe , filled out the application, paid my doctor for signing a photo copy of my passport, enclosed utility bills,and posted it off, all they did was send my utility bill back to me, no letter to tell me if i get account or not, not even an email
    I think you need to send the ''original'' ...they do not accept photocopy
    we are using BPI Europe and PNB Europe never had problems ,very low charge and secure to send your remittance with both banks.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

I would suggest chasing up pnb and if no answer contact their customer service manager or what ever title they have.

While they do the job quite well most of the time they are far from always efficient unless you give them a push it seems now and then..

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    I think you need to send the ''original'' ...they do not accept photocopy
    we are using BPI Europe and PNB Europe never had problems ,very low charge and secure to send your remittance with both banks.
    no they accept photo copy infact they say they prefer you to, provided it is signed by doctor or a few other choices they give,

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Nationwide were exceptionally good as they did not charge for drawing cash on a debit card, That changed a while ago, now its £1 per transaction plus 1%. Although I don't think their exchange rates are ever beaten.

I use a Nationwide (Visa) credit card occasionally in Spain and I used it in Phil a couple of times last year to buy a washing machine and groceries (never to draw cash) there were no charges, and again the rate was the tops.

However, I have found that knowing your bank manager often helps, as they have the power to decide what charges are made on your actual bank accounts. On transfers to Spain (where banks charge to receive funds) I have saved a lot just by chatting with the manager.

Try this number Stewart, 012075923017 ask for Lorraine!

Try this number Stewart, 012075923017 ask for Lorraine!
    thanks michael, i will keep that noted if needed for future use,

i sent them another email last night, at last a reply today, saying ,Apologise for not properly informing you when we return your proof of billing.
    and i was just about to give up ,
    they are not so good at explaining or detailing what to do and how to
    anyway it says i can call and remit by phone, or i can register my debit card for online remit,
    so i will get on to that tomorrow

so im assuming i need to phone them to do that, so i hope they will be helpful in telling me how to sign in and make my own password,

oh well at least i know im accepted , i will get there in the end,

if you know the steps to do for starting the online account id appreciate a how to, just incase they are not open to explain,

thanks michael, i will keep that noted if needed for future use,

i sent them another email last night, at last a reply today, saying ,Apologise for not properly informing you when we return your proof of billing.
    and i was just about to give up ,
    they are not so good at explaining or detailing what to do and how to
    anyway it says i can call and remit by phone, or i can register my debit card for online remit,
    so i will get on to that tomorrow

so im assuming i need to phone them to do that, so i hope they will be helpful in telling me how to sign in and make my own password,

oh well at least i know im accepted , i will get there in the end,

if you know the steps to do for starting the online account id appreciate a how to, just incase they are not open to explain,
    Can't be much help with any detail Stewart because my niece set everything up for me ref internet banking as I've not much idea how to use computer, when I need to use on line banking I have everything written down so that I can use it!

Can't be much help with any detail Stewart because my niece set everything up for me ref internet banking as I've not much idea how to use computer, when I need to use on line banking I have everything written down so that I can use it!
    ok thanks

in uk we have a sort code and account number,

the bank i will send to i only have name of place of bank and account number,
    is that sufficient or is there an equivelant to sort code? that i need to get

in uk we have a sort code and account number,

the bank i will send to i only have name of place of bank and account number,
    is that sufficient or is there an equivelant to sort code? that i need to get
    Whenever we send money to our daughter we just need her name, bank name, branch, and account number.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Whenever we send money to our daughter we just need her name, bank name, branch, and account number.
    thank you

all sorted out, sent my first PNB remittance last night success ,

any reason they ask for purpose of remittance

all sorted out, sent my first PNB remittance last night success ,

any reason they ask for purpose of remittance
    I just put 'other' Stewart, pleased you were successful!

I just put 'other' Stewart, pleased you were successful!
    thanks Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    HSBC is probably a good bank for starters. but as you have said their branches are limited. They used to have no charge if you used a foreign ATM card in their machines. Fund transfers were very easy as well using online banking.

Have a look at BDO or Metrobank and see if they are competitive.
    just a bit of advice on bdo and metro bank these 2 banks operate a single franchise system otherwords if you live in one city and move to another they won,t let you transfer your accounts also if you don,t use the account within a 12 month period they close the account and keep any money thats in it so be aware

I have a halifax account and get charged 1.50 every time I take out 300 quid worth of pesos which is,nt bad in my view

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    I have a halifax account and get charged 1.50 every time I take out 300 quid worth of pesos which is,nt bad in my view
    is that credit or debit card?

Thread Information