Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Can pregnant wife give birth in UK?

I am a British man that is returning to study in the UK from Sept 2013 - July 2014 after living in Thailand for many years. With the new visa rules it seems it will be difficult to apply for a spouse visa so I want my pregnant Filipino wife to join me from Dec 2013 - May 2014 on a 6 month medical visa and then return to Thailand.She is due to give birth in mid Feb and we want that to happen in a hospital(presumably it would have to be private) in the UK.

Will she be granted a visa to do this? Would she be allowed to stay for the whole 6 months? Are we following the best solution to our problem or is there another option?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Quote Originally Posted by Jegernorge View Post
    I am a British man that is returning to study in the UK from Sept 2013 - July 2014 after living in Thailand for many years. With the new visa rules it seems it will be difficult to apply for a spouse visa so I want my pregnant Filipino wife to join me from Dec 2013 - May 2014 on a 6 month medical visa and then return to Thailand.She is due to give birth in mid Feb and we want that to happen in a hospital(presumably it would have to be private) in the UK.

Will she be granted a visa to do this? Would she be allowed to stay for the whole 6 months? Are we following the best solution to our problem or is there another option?

Thanks for any advice you can give
    hi, welcome to the forum,

i think they will be suspicous and suspect she will try overstay,
    how will you convince them she will go back,
    just food for thought,

im no expert its just my thoughts,

see what our more knowlegable members think

bit late now, but you could have tried the family permit route, returned to a European country say Ireland in feb/march. looked for a job, worked for 3 months and then applied for a family permit for your wife so she could be with you say june/July and then return to the UK with your wife in Sept.

i think your wife might have a problem with any type of temporary visa to visit the UK, UKBA will need convincing that she will return before her visa expires
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Obviously she will have to prove to the ECO (entrance clearance officer) that she has ties back home which outweighs her reasons not to overstay in the UK.

As you have said if the visa is granted then yes she would have to pay for the birth of your child.

Also if the visa is granted then your child would acquire british citizenship as you yourself are british.

Please don't think this is easy as it looks because it is rather difficult to obtain this type of visa even at a small outlay of just £80, the intention to return home for her will be looked at scrupulously by the ECO.

Please search here on this subject as it will give you all the info you need regarding the process and I am sure others will provide further advice regarding this.

Thread Information