Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Organic vs Conventional Food

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255

Conventional vs. organic farming

The word "organic" refers to the way farmers grow and process agricultural products, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy products and meat. Organic farming practices are designed to encourage soil and water conservation and reduce pollution. Farmers who grow organic produce and meat don't use conventional methods to fertilize, control weeds or prevent livestock disease. For example, rather than using chemical weedkillers, organic farmers may conduct more sophisticated crop rotations and spread mulch or manure to keep weeds at bay.

Here are some key differences between conventional farming and organic farming:
    Conventional Organic
    Apply chemical fertilizers to promote plant growth. Apply natural fertilizers, such as manure or compost, to feed soil and plants.
    Spray synthetic insecticides to reduce pests and disease. Spray pesticides from natural sources; use beneficial insects and birds, mating disruption or traps to reduce pests and disease.
    Use synthetic herbicides to manage weeds. Use environmentally-generated plant-killing compounds; rotate crops, till, hand weed or mulch to manage weeds.
    Give animals antibiotics, growth hormones and medications to prevent disease and spur growth. Give animals organic feed and allow them access to the outdoors. Use preventive measures — such as rotational grazing, a balanced diet and clean housing — to help minimize disease.

...What are you having??
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    ...What are you having??
    Both.

Interesting report.

We buy some organic foods and some conventional ones.

Agree with most of that writing.
    It has to make sense to avoid consuming too many pesticides and meat that contains antibiotics etc. I don't think anyone really knows about the long-term health issue on that but just seems to make sense to me.

We're lucky in that there's load of 'farm shops' in our area and lots of places selling local organic produce.

But that's not the only reason we buy specific organic products.
    Some vegetables and fruits actually taste better for not much more cost. Just an example (for us) we buy organic pointed cabbage and organic baby tomatoes simply because we notice a significant taste difference.

I think there's also plenty of 'conventional' products that taste great and do not contain any pesticides, antibiotics or other potentially harmful additives.

I do believe that 'organically-raised' animals are more humanely treated and are raised in a more environmentally-friendly way.

Not sure about the credentials of many fruit and vegetable though.
    I think our UK eggs are probably the safest and healthiest anywhere in world after all the years of issues we had.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I asked Keith how would you know if the food labeled "organic" really is organic? He said you won't.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thread Information