Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

IELTS English test pass mark

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the CURRENT pass mark for a fiancee visa to the uk?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Hi benjy,
    If you look at the current UKBA listing of approved tests you'll see that IELTS tests have a minimum passing level at B1
    Just as an aside, UKBA require a pass at level A1 (which is actually lower than B1)

The passing grades are shown as:-
    Listening – 4.0
    Speaking – 4.0
    Reading – 4.0
    Writing – 4.0

UKBA are only concerned with listening & Speaking

Hi, Thanks for your quick response again Terpe! below are my Fiancee's results so she passed!! right just the trip to Manila and the application to get over now!

Listening: 7.0
    Reading: 6.5
    Writing: 5.5
    Speaking: 6.5
    Overall: 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    Hi, Thanks for your quick response again Terpe! below are my Fiancee's results so she passed!! right just the trip to Manila and the application to get over now!

Good results Well done to her.

Did she already secure the TB certificate ?
    How about CFO seminar?

Oh she did well My sweetheart got 5.5 and 6 on speaking
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    "It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" Lord Tenneson.

Thanks I shall pass that on to her! Regarding the TB cert as my fiancee is in GenSan we have had a TB test done in a private hospital there to make sure she is all clear (which she is) before she goes to Manila to get the authorised TB test done at the IOM as we thought this would save time and MONEY if we combine the 2 and she stays in there for 8 days or so. The CFO seminar as far as we were aware she had to take that after she was granted her visa before she left?

Thanks songz777

..... The CFO seminar as far as we were aware she had to take that after she was granted her visa before she left?
    I stand to be corrected benjy, but I'm sure she can take the seminar anytime she wants. Before or after the visa has been issued.
    The all important CFO passport sticker can only be secured AFTER the visa VALIDITY.
    (visa validity not just visa approval. !)

ahhh ok, well I'm not 100% sure on that part yet... I need to research that part more! I take it she gets the sticker after she has attended the seminar? Is it issued at the same time or do you have to wait for it?

Thanks Ben & Jennie

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    ahhh ok, well I'm not 100% sure on that part yet... I need to research that part more! I take it she gets the sticker after she has attended the seminar? Is it issued at the same time or do you have to wait for it?

Thanks Ben & Jennie
    My wife attended the cenomar and was issued with it the same day.

Hope that helps and good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    My wife attended the cenomar and was issued with it the same day.

Hope that helps and good luck...
    Thanks mate!

Thanks Ben & Jennie
    If she completes the seminar before securing a valid visa she does not get the sticker, only the seminar certificate.
    If she completes the seminar AND is the holder of a valid visa she'll get the certificate and she'll get the sticker.

Have her telephone CFO to confirm if you're not convinced.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If she completes the seminar before securing a valid visa she does not get the sticker, only the seminar certificate.
    If she completes the seminar AND is the holder of a valid visa she'll get the certificate and she'll get the sticker.

This is correct Peter.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I believe you!!! hahha well it does make sense!

Thanks

I believe you!!! hahha well it does make sense!

Thanks
    When seeking advice from a forum it's best practice to follow up and check.
    Visa's are too important to rely solely on forum answers. You owe it to your Mahal and to yourself to check out the latest information from the sources provided.

Respected Member blessed_ekim0826's Avatar
    Hi benjy,
    If you look at the current UKBA listing of approved tests you'll see that IELTS tests have a minimum passing level at B1
    Just as an aside, UKBA require a pass at level A1 (which is actually lower than B1)

The passing grades are shown as:-
    Listening – 4.0
    Speaking – 4.0
    Reading – 4.0
    Writing – 4.0

UKBA are only concerned with listening & Speaking
    What if you passed on Listening and Speaking and you failed on either reading or writing, does result can still be use or need to retake and passed all components?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_steve View Post
    What if you passed on Listening and Speaking and you failed on either reading or writing, does result can still be use or need to retake and passed all components?
    Mike for clarity and following UKBA information, even though a person may be required by the provider to sit all four components of an IELTS test, they would meet the English language requirement by gaining a score of a minimum of level 4 in speaking and listening. Even if they failed the reading and writing components and overall their final score was less than 4.

for example:-
    Reading = 1.5
    Writing = 1.0
    Speaking = 4.0
    Listening = 4.0

Overall IELTS score = 2.5

Here. the applicant is able to demonstrate they scored level 4 for speaking and listening in an approved test by an approved provider therefore an applicant could use such results to meet the English qualification for partners.

Respected Member blessed_ekim0826's Avatar
    Mike for clarity and following UKBA information, even though a person may be required by the provider to sit all four components of an IELTS test, they would meet the English language requirement by gaining a score of a minimum of level 4 in speaking and listening. Even if they failed the reading and writing components and overall their final score was less than 4.

Reading = 1.5
    Writing = 1.0
    Speaking = 4.0
    Listening = 4.0

Here. the applicant is able to demonstrate they scored level 4 for speaking and listening in an approved test by an approved provider therefore an applicant could use such results to meet the English qualification for partners.
    Thank you so much

Reading = 1.5
    Writing = 1.0
    Speaking = 4.0
    Listening = 4.0

How about this situation Terpe? My friend has a scored of listening 1.00 and speaking 5. Is this mean she passed or failed??
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1984 View Post
    How about this situation Terpe? My friend has a scored of listening 1.00 and speaking 5. Is this mean she passed or failed??
    Ann, your friend needs to reach a minimum score of 4 for each element of Listening and Speaking.
    I'm afraid that a score of 1 will not be acceptable.

My guess is that your friend was a bit nervous and maybe couldn't concentrate enough.
    Tell her to practice some more and try again. I'm sure she can do since her speaking was fine.
    When a person is nervous it's easy to lose a focus.

Ann, your friend needs to reach a minimum score of 4 for each element of Listening and Speaking.
    I'm afraid that a score of 1 will not be acceptable.

My guess is that your friend was a bit nervous and maybe couldn't concentrate enough.
    Tell her to practice some more and try again. I'm sure she can do since her speaking was fine.
    When a person is nervous it's easy to lose a focus.

Thank you very much Terpe, you help her to enlighten her mind about her test score, I will pass to her your advise. She doesn't know to use this site.. Thank you!

Ann
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

Thread Information