Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Nasty lines from BBC program...so rude I may say

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    This video is circulating around Facebook this past few days..The topic in that segment is "Unlikely statements from a cosmetic company" (I can't remember the exact phrase but it's something like that). It's a mock about the companies who uses cheap labor and such in third world countries.

I would not call her racist though, which a lot of Filipinos are calling her now because of saying "Filipino children". I'm just wondering if Filipino netizens would take particular notice of this if she said "Chinese children" or "Indian children" instead? I don't think so. Even a children show (Going Bulilit) made a video about Indians that drew criticisms from the Indian community (
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/46792-Going-Bulilit?highlight=Going+Bulilit). I know plenty of Filipinos would defend that video as made with no malice at all.

Anyway, there are a lot of Filipinos who are racists too. I lived in Singapore and trust me, there are plenty of Filipinos (tourists and/or residents there) calling Indians there nasty names (pana, anap, napster, etc.) and always laugh and giggle whenever in train stations and they can smell a nasty smell from Indian people there, and even associate them with something who stink. In the Philippines, the word "negro" is rampant pertaining to someone with a dark skin, which we all know would be a racist remark for dark skinned people. Plenty of times a lot of Filipinos also do monkey gestures and such at the back of these people. A Filipino-Chinese officemate of mine told me years ago that for them, the word "Chekwa" that Filipinos usually pertains to them is a racist remark to their community (I didn't know that though even though I have a Chinese blood).

I have always been a proud Filipino. I even always defend Filipinos when someone here tells something bad about the country and our culture. But when it comes to racism, we can't excuse ourselves from that and cry foul everytime a foreigner comments something about Filipinos because there are plenty of Filipino racists too.

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

i wonder why she said Filipino children and not kids from another country

shes's an American and its a joke thou some people might not find it funny
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i wonder why she said Filipino children and not kids from another country

shes's an American and its a joke thou some people might not find it funny
    She's Canadian..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

they are all the same to me

pinoys get upset easily, i remember when hatton got beat , pinoys were , but they didnt like it when pacman got beat
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

they are all the same to me

pinoys get upset easily, i remember when hatton got beat , pinoys were , but they didnt like it when pacman got beat
    I know..hahaha.. remember, everytime Pacquiao beats a Mexican boxer, a lot make memes about Pacquiao beating them and such. But when Pacquiao got beaten by Marquez and the meme that Justin Bieber posted in Twitter/Instagram was spread all over the internet, they cry foul and even told Justin Bieber is banned to enter the country..

When Manny Pacquiao wins, memes like this was all over the internet..

When he lost, the Filipinos cry foul over the photo below and wanted Justin Bieber to be banned to enter the country and kept asking for him to apologise..

-=rayna.keith=-

Trusted Member
    Good posts Rayna.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    This video is circulating around Facebook this past few days..The topic in that segment is "Unlikely statements from a cosmetic company" (I can't remember the exact phrase but it's something like that). It's a mock about the companies who uses cheap labor and such in third world countries.

I would not call her racist though, which a lot of Filipinos are calling her now because of saying "Filipino children". I'm just wondering if Filipino netizens would take particular notice of this if she said "Chinese children" or "Indian children" instead? I don't think so. Even a children show (Going Bulilit) made a video about Indians that drew criticisms from the Indian community (
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/46792-Going-Bulilit?highlight=Going+Bulilit). I know plenty of Filipinos would defend that video as made with no malice at all.

Anyway, there are a lot of Filipinos who are racists too. I lived in Singapore and trust me, there are plenty of Filipinos (tourists and/or residents there) calling Indians there nasty names (pana, anap, napster, etc.) and always laugh and giggle whenever in train stations and they can smell a nasty smell from Indian people there, and even associate them with something who stink. In the Philippines, the word "negro" is rampant pertaining to someone with a dark skin, which we all know would be a racist remark for dark skinned people. Plenty of times a lot of Filipinos also do monkey gestures and such at the back of these people. A Filipino-Chinese officemate of mine told me years ago that for them, the word "Chekwa" that Filipinos usually pertains to them is a racist remark to their community (I didn't know that though even though I have a Chinese blood).

I have always been a proud Filipino. I even always defend Filipinos when someone here tells something bad about the country and our culture. But when it comes to racism, we can't excuse ourselves from that and cry foul everytime a foreigner comments something about Filipinos because there are plenty of Filipino racists too.

Well said. Nice work and good post Rayna

What ever way you dress it up in this day and age its a disgrace.. In my opinion.

Excellent post Rayna. I tried to give you rep but wasn't allowed. I owe you one

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Good posts Rayna.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Excellent post Rayna. I tried to give you rep but wasn't allowed. I owe you one
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Well said. Nice work and good post Rayna
    Thanks guys.. I'm just being honest about my opinion whenever a "racist" remark or racism issue has been brought up. I don't condone racism but a lot of times, the word "racist/racism" has been wrongly used just to be politically correct all the time. The admin usually get complaints on members here being racist, but most of the time, the members wrongfully accused someone of being racist because he/she has different interpretation about a topic or what has been said. I try to widen my understanding about stuffs. Rules about racism should not only apply to certain race/nationalities in my opinion. Let's admit that Filipinos are overly sensitive sometimes when someone comments on how we look, our culture and/or lifestyle, our country, and yet we do the same thing everyday towards other races, and even to the Filipinos too actually.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar

Very interesting Rayna, Well done. I suppose if it comes down to the nitty gritty we are all guilty of being a little racist when many of us complain about people from western Europe coming here and getting benefits as soon as they arrive that our wives are not allowed until they get their ILR. Isn't that a kind of racism?

Trusted Member
    Too many people translate perfectly legitimate criticism of RELIGION/culture into 'racism'.

It's just their ignorance that irritates me.

Canadian comedienne apologizes for ‘joke' about Filipino children

Canadian comedienne Katherine Ryan is in hot water over her joke about Filipino children that's been deemed by many as "racist," "tasteless" and "insulting."

On the British stand-up comedy show “Mock the Week,” aired June 13, Ryan responded "We don't test any of our products on animals. We use Filipino Children” in a segment where celebrities were tasked to drop "unlikely lines from a cosmetics commercial."

Shortly after the show, the segment drew ire from Filipino netizens. The video has raked in more than 32,000 views with 318 likes and 185 dislikes as of this writing.

The comedienne immediately aired her explanation on Twitter about the incident.

“It was UNLIKELY lines from a cosmetics commercial. *UN-LIKELY*. You'd be very unlikely to hear that. Because it would never happen,” she posted.

“If you'd watched the whole show instead of reacting to a still shot out of context you might feel that I was criticizing the EXPLOITATION of children. The joke is never, ever ON children. Watch the show. And I'm not an actress.”

Nevertheless, she ended up apologizing for using Filipino kids on her joke. “And I'm sorry if anyone understood anything different. I really am. I could have said Irish/Canadian but we're not as cute.”

Source:-
    http://mb.com.ph/Entertainment/Enter...e#.UcFCL844JxA

Still ... ... one HAS to admit ... it WAS a tasteless and rather tactless remark for ANY celebrity to make in front of a television audience of millions.

Trusted Member
    Ah...just dawned on me. I remember watching that show now.

One of my favourites, and showing later this evening. I think I correctly interpreted her remark at the time, so no offence taken.

If you would read comments and or reactions of the Filipino netizens in Facebook, oh my gawd..it's worse than what she said. I have read a lot of cursing (more than what I have heard Keith say in a day honestly ), saying she should be raped/abused or something like that, and even threatening to kill her or hire someone to kill her. Not just her but British people in general because of the show (I don't even think they know the show until they saw the clip posted in Facebook ). Those people embarrass me really. Fighting against racism my .

I often told Keith that shows like Little Britain, Father Ted, etc. would never ever be allowed in the Philippines. But I'm planning to give my family a Father Ted dvd box set. They know how to have a good laugh at shows like that.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Trusted Member
    Send them this BBC programme...if IT doesn't confuse them, nothing will.

Obviously a comment like that is going to cause outrage even though it wasn't meant to be offensive. Stuff such as that should be left for the comedy club where people know what to expect and not for millions of TV viewers.

Good post btw Rayna.

Send them this BBC programme...if IT doesn't confuse them, nothing will.

I'm completely confused about that video Graham!

I have yet to watch the movie Monty Python: Life of Brian..Keith told me to download it. He & his dad told me it's very funny. Well I'm up for a great laugh most of the time.

By the way, thanks Jamie.

-=rayna.keith=-

Trusted Member
    Life of Brian is totally brilliant Rayna.

Just don't take it too seriously if you're religious.

i don't mind nasty jokes throwing on people but using children is a big no no no regardless of any race. Jokes like this gives no fun but bad influence to our young ones. I may sound "kill-joy" but hey this is a tactless act. Yeah it meant to be fun jokes but at least be responsible enough to deliver a decent one.

The only people who get riled about Life of Brian being some sort of religious attack, are those who either

a. Turned up late and didn't see the first 5 minutes - and therefore jumped to the conclusion it was "Carry On Jesus" - aka various bishops at the time, who despite being told and told and told it wasn't, insisted on saying it was blasphemous.

b. People who just didn't get the humour.

The "Pythons" have even in interviews explained their whole reasoning around the movie. How they originally thought to make it "Carry On Jesus", but then after researching what "Jesus" was supposed to have done, realised all this loving your neighbour, looking after the poor, humility self sacrifice stuff, well it wasn't something really that deserved to be made fun of.
    What they realised, was the irony that Jesus preached love, and his "followers" have then for the last two thousand years been killing each other arguing about how this love should be practiced. THAT was worth lampooning.

So all the way through the movie, they made sure it was obvious to anyone, that Brian wasn't supposed to be Jesus, how he was born next door to make it very obvious, how he was at one of Jesus's preachings, and even down to making sure there wasn't three crosses at the end.
    STILL certain religious people, determined to find offence, managed to find such offence.

romani ite domum

Life of Brian is totally brilliant Rayna.

Just don't take it too seriously if you're religious.
    I usually don't take everything seriously.. blimey, I might not have survived living with Keith for a week if I take everything seriously! The problem now is I don't know when he's being serious..

Anyway, I am Catholic, but not that religious. I believe in God and such but I also have free will to not based my life on everything it says in the Bible because people have different interpretations of what's written there.
    -=rayna.keith=-

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/10...-man-barred-uk

if in doubt pull the race card out

Trusted Member
    http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/10...-man-barred-uk

if in doubt pull the race card out
    Blimey....that's the Millipede bros on the next plane out then.

What an ignorant tosspot.

Trusted Member
    I usually don't take everything seriously.. blimey, I might not have survived living with Keith for a week if I take everything seriously! The problem now is I don't know when he's being serious..

Anyway, I am Catholic, but not that religious. I believe in God and such but I also have free will to not based my life on everything it says in the Bible because people have different interpretations of what's written there.
    Good post Rayna.

Quote Originally Posted by malditako View Post
    i don't mind nasty jokes throwing on people but using children is a big no no no regardless of any race. Jokes like this gives no fun but bad influence to our young ones. I may sound "kill-joy" but hey this is a tactless act. Yeah it meant to be fun jokes but at least be responsible enough to deliver a decent one.
    If anyone feels strongly enough about this please follow the example of others and lodge a complaint with her agent Hannah Begbie.
    I came by the e-mail of her assistant, Carly Peters, at cpeters@unitedagents.co.uk

Thread Information