Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb The 10 Best Summer cycling clothes

Ride out in style – and comfort – with kit designed with the season in mind...

1 Le Coq Sportif shoes

You won't be missed in these funky cycling shoes inspired by the Tour de France yellow jersey. Pros will say you should be in clip-ins but if that isn't for you, or you don't want them for a short ride, these are ideal. Plus, they are smart enough to keep on once you get off.

£55, schuh.co.uk

2 Helly Hansen Pace Shorts

If you've got a lot of miles to cover, some skin-tight gear is (regrettably perhaps) essential. These shorts have padding and lots of supporting batches. If you're no Wiggo, you can opt to wear a baggy pair of shorts over the top.

£65, hellyhansenonlineshop.co.uk

3 Rohan Sprint Jersey

Rohan makes a great range of cycling clothes including this short-sleeved jersey, which is a great base layer to add to or wear on its own if the sun is shining. Apparently it has some anti-odour technology too so won't stink on longer rides. Plus, it has two rear pockets for your all-important snacks and repair kit.

£55, rohan.co.uk

4 Vulpine men's tailored shorts

For those who like a nice fit but not a Lycra fit, burgeoning British brand Vulpine does a fine line in smart attire, including these tailored shorts in breathable, water-resistant fabric with just enough stretch and button adjustors to limit unsightly flapping.

£95, vulphine.cc

5 Paul Smith Giro d'Italia Cycling Jerseys

Ditch yellow for pink and the official leader's jersey of the Giro d'Italia. Designed by Sir Paul Smith and hand-made in Bergamo by classic Italian brand, Santini, it eluded Bradley Wiggins but can be yours – if you feel up to wearing it.

£64.99, paulsmith.co.uk

6 Bicycle T-shirt

Champion a young British brand in Route Clothing, which emerged in style from Glasgow last year with a range of slim-fit T-shirts sporting cycling graphics. One is made of a bamboo/organic cotton mix, making it ideal as a base layer.

£26, routeclothing.com

7 Rapha women's Souplesse Jersey

Invest in something from Rapha's growing range of women's gear. The souplesse jersey is a fitted top designed for race or sportive riding (go up a size for a more relaxed, about-town fit) that comes in mauve, light blue or dark blue and includes three rear pockets.

£125, rapha.cc

8 Ronhill Vizion Windlite

Just because it's summer doesn't mean you don't need to think about being seen in the evening. This hi-viz jacket is warm enough for a cool evening but not so heavy you'll overheat. It's not the most fashionable bit of kit but you shouldn't leave the house without some fluorescent on. It is suitable for men and women.

£50, johnlewis.com

9 Adidas Response Shorts

These aren't the most padded ladies shorts on the market but they fit snugly and the purple trim looks great. Ideal for the serious weekend rider, they have an elasticated waist so will fit most shapes and sizes.

£60, johnlewis.com

10 Louis Garneau 12C Air Gel Mitts

A long ride can play murder with your hands if you hit potholes or poor road surfaces. These gel gloves should take some of the pain out of it. They have gel protection for your palms and a plenty of all-round padding.

£27.99, evanscycles.com

Source:-
    http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...s-8652764.html

All way overpriced for me

I'm happy with my Muddy Fox gear from Sports Direct at a fraction of that cost.

£28 for a pair of cycling mits

Trusted Member
    95 quid for a pair of shorts ?...have to be off my head.

I'll stick to my lycra one piece with leggings, plus windproof cycling jacket 'thing'.

Already got the proper gloves. They were 25 quid mindst.

Just need to start wearing the stuff when I'm actually cycling.

... you lucky people - getting out and about on your bikes!!!

... I'd been an avid cyclist for close on 60 years. Sadly ... [very] reluctantly, in recent times - after ... ... God knows HOW many thousands upon thousands of touring miles - I was forced to more or less give up what had been my MAIN sporting and recreational *pursuit ... owing to an annoyingly progressive hearing impairment rendering *it an exceedingly perilous activity amidst the sheer volume of traffic on today's busy roads.

Trusted Member
    Eh?

Half the cyclists on the road these days have got iPods blasting into their earoles anyway...even myself yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Eh?
    ... I'm not THAT deaf, though ... yet!

Half the cyclists on the road these days have got iPods blasting into their earoles anyway...even myself yesterday.
    ! Trouble IS ... trying to convince Myrna - who worries constantly (and sometimes needlessly ) about my safety.

Joking aside ... and without going altogether ... THIS will be my 15,000th post since joining the forum in the Autumn of 2008. (Btw ... I notice you're not far behind!)

Now ... during my 40s - when I was in peak physical condition - I managed to "clock-up" MORE mileage than I currently average in posts during a single year. So that'll give readers of this thread some idea of how seriously I took cycling, at a time when I was working a normal 35-hr week. Indeed, MOST evenings (weather permitting) I thought nothing of covering 50~odd miles locally - especially if I was "in training" for some long trip I had planned in advance ... such as Perth to Carlisle via the then A74 during late September 1988) spread over two days.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

! Trouble IS ... trying to convince Myrna - who worries constantly (and sometimes needlessly ) about my safety.

Joking aside ... and without going altogether ... THIS will be my 15,000th post since joining the forum in the Autumn of 2008. (Btw ... I notice you're not far behind!)

Now ... during my 40s - when I was in peak physical condition - I managed to "clock-up" MORE mileage than I currently average in posts during a single year. So that'll give readers of this thread some idea of how seriously I took cycling, at a time when I was working a normal 35-hr week. Indeed, MOST evenings (weather permitting) I thought nothing of covering 50~odd miles locally - especially if I was "in training" for some long trip I had planned in advance ... such as Perth to Carlisle via the then A74 during late September 1988) spread over two days.
    So you were the guy cycling along the A74, wish I had a £1 for every time I travelled along the A74 (memories)!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Also congratulations on your 15000 posts Arthur

Trusted Member

Congrats on your 15,000th Arthur, and for staying ahead of me in the obsessional posting department.

Now get back on that bike ya lazy bugger ! No excuses !

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Also congratulations on your 15000 posts Arthur
    Congrats on your 15,000th Arthur, and for staying ahead of me in the obsessional posting department.

Now get back on that bike ya lazy bugger ! No excuses !
    Thanks for your congratulatory messages, guys.

Ah ... like both of you, I am old enough to recall the opening words of singer Mary Hopkins' late 60s chart success which, appropriate to my present circumstances, I have rearranged
    these words to read:

"My friends, those were the days ... !!!"

Banned

Are you one of the chaps in the Plus Fours Arthur ?

Well done Arthur for passing the 15000 post

Thread Information