Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Indefinite Leave to Enter

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie. Hope everyone is well.

I hope someone is able to enlighten me regarding ILE. I have searched high and low online and even rang the British High Commission in Singapore to no avail.

I came across a linkon the UKBA website.

Apparently the page is used as an internal guidance for use by entry clearance staff on the handling of settlement in the United Kingdom visa applications made outside the United Kingdom. And that it is a live document under constant review and is for information only.

As I am about to apply for an Unmarried Visa in the next couple of months, I was devastated upon learning of recent changes in the UK immigration laws as of last year. The below information gave me a glimmer of hope. Although it might be false hopes. Has anyone applied for an Unmarried Visa recently? I would love to hear from you. Also can someone please confirm if the below info from the link above is current or outdated.

Many thanks!

SET5.15 What immigration conditions apply upon entry to an unmarried / single sex partner?

ILE can be granted in situations where:

• the sponsor has (at the date of decision on the application) a right of abode / indefinite leave to enter and;
    • the couple have been living in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 4 years and have been living together outside the United Kingdom during that time and;
    • the applicant has demonstrated 'knowledge of language and life in the UK' (KOL)

Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for ILE, except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months leave to enter. During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement and then apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm a newbie. Hope everyone is well.

I hope someone is able to enlighten me regarding ILE. I have searched high and low online and even rang the British High Commission in Singapore to no avail.
    ILE is Indefinite Leave to Enter and is granted to those who are eligible for UK Settlement via application made outside of UK

To make an application for an unmarried partner visa you'll need to demonstrate that you have been cohabiting with your partner for a full 2 years and that
    you intend to permanently live together with your partner in the UK.
    Your partner must either be a British Citizen or be present and settled in the UK (ILR).

You'd need to show documented evidence of 2 years co-habitation in a relationship 'akin to marriage'
    This would involve submitted documents such as tenancy in joint names, bills, correspondence to you both at your joint address covering the whole period etc

The specific UKBA website link is here called - Unmarried or same-sex partner of a British citizen or settled person

Please review this webpage and follow the relevant links.

Do be informed that in principle the requirements and process for applying as an unmarried or same-sex partner are the same as those for Partner/
    Means the Financial Requirement will still need to be complied with together with all other sections.

Do also review this UKBA webpage - Documents required

Hope that helps you.
    Once you've reviewed the Current UKBA requirements for application as unmarried partner please feel free to ask any specific questions

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi Terpe

Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

My partner and I have been living together in Singapore for the last 4 years. We have joint bank accounts and joint names on tenancy agreements etc. My partner and our 7-month old twin daughters all have UK passports. In terms of financial requirement, since we are both in full employment in Singapore (expats) we will be submitting Certificate of Employment from our respective companies as well as payslips. If all goes well we are planning to relocate to UK by end of January next year. We are planning to stay with his parents initially until we get our own place. We have asked his parents to write a letter as well as attach a supporting document that they own the house.

Can we subtly include in the sponsor letter regarding ILE? I was worried because I thought this has been stopped after the recent changes. And that I have to start from scratch i.e. 5 years before I can apply for ILR.

In addition to meeting the financial requirement in current employment your partner must also have a confirmed offer of salaried or non-salaried employment in the UK, starting within 3 months of return to UK. This employment must have a gross annual starting salary (or gross non-salaried income as calculated as an annualised average on the basis of the evidence provided by the employer) sufficient to meet the annual income financial requirement.

Does your partner have a confirmed job offer at the required income level?

Just to re-confirm about ILE, it's been almost 1 year since UKBA abolished the ILE status on arrival in the UK for all non-EEA spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner or same sex partner under what was commonly called the 4-year rule.

Thread Information