Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

It's complicated 0_0 -- Passport Renewal (with name change to Married name) and Transfer of visa

Hello all,

My hubby and I are planning to go the Philippines late this year, at around Oct, Nov or December 2013 and we will be staying there for 2-4 months, then go back to the UK to finish my 2 and a half year visa.

So here are the details:
    My passport expires on the 18th of Sept 2014 and is under my maiden name

I am planning to renew my passport even before it expires for two reasons:
    1. to make sure my passport has more than 6 mos. validity when we travel to the Philippines and when we get back to the UK
    2. to have my maiden name changed to my married name.

So having said that, my questions would be:
    1. What will the Philippine embassy do with my old passport with the UK visa when you renew it?
    2. I have read somewhere that if I choose not to have Transfer of Conditions to my new passport, I should bring both passports with me...but will having my married name in the new passport and my maiden name in my old passport be confusing? Or would you recommend that I just apply for TOC?

***Having a migraine now******

I would appreciate your advice especially from anyone who had gone through the same experience.

Thanks.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Is your visa stamped in your old passport? Or do you have a Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) card? Coz that's what matters.

You can renew your passport and use your married name. But when travelling, you need to present both the old and new passports at the immigration (if the visa is stamped in your old passport). It saves you from transferring the visa stamped to the new one, which costs £147 if you applied by post and £522 if personal appearance.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...a-to-passport/

If you have a BRP card and it's in your maiden name, you need to renew that too within 3 months of changing your old passport coz they need to match.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ponsibilities/

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    hi the philippines embassy will return your old passport and if you still have a active visa you should carry both passports my wife is filipino and we have both passports one in her maiden name and her lastest one in her married name her maiden name passport is only used for verification purposes

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Is your visa stamped in your old passport? Or do you have a Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) card? Coz that's what matters.

You can renew your passport and use your married name. But when travelling, you need to present both the old and new passports at the immigration (if the visa is stamped in your old passport). It saves you from transferring the visa stamped to the new one, which costs £147 if you applied by post and £522 if personal appearance.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...a-to-passport/

If you have a BRP card and it's in your maiden name, you need to renew that too within 3 months of changing your old passport coz they need to match.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ponsibilities/

Hi Raynaputi,

Yes my visa is stamped in my current, unexpired passport (plus it has my maiden name).
    I do not have a Biometrics Residence Permit Card but I might apply for it.

Which should I do first? Renew my passport (with married name) and then apply for a BRP (with married name in it)? Or should I just retain my maiden name because the old passport with the visa is in my maiden name?

Haha. Kaloka 0_0

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kim lynch View Post
    hi the philippines embassy will return your old passport and if you still have a active visa you should carry both passports my wife is filipino and we have both passports one in her maiden name and her lastest one in her married name her maiden name passport is only used for verification purposes
    Hi Kim lynch,

What a relief .... My passport has been driving me and my hubby mad because I still don't have my married name in it.
    Thanks again for the info!

You don't need to apply for a BRP card..you'd be able to do that when you apply for your next visa. Just carry both your old and new passport whenever you travel.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Talking about renewing passport, mine is expired already and so by end of this month I will defo renew it and I want my married name to reflect on it. Now while checking again on the Philippine Embassy website to make sure I got all the requirements right, I notice that the E-passport form doesn't have a space for a photograph anymore
    Is this the new form that I have to use?
    Last 3 months ago I downloaded the form, signed it and pasted my photo, eehh to make sure everything is prepared. But now this new form seems doesn't need photo.
    -sorry this might just be too simple- but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
    Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    Talking about renewing passport, mine is expired already and so by end of this month I will defo renew it and I want my married name to reflect on it. Now while checking again on the Philippine Embassy website to make sure I got all the requirements right, I notice that the E-passport form doesn't have a space for a photograph anymore
    Is this the new form that I have to use?
    Last 3 months ago I downloaded the form, signed it and pasted my photo, eehh to make sure everything is prepared. But now this new form seems doesn't need photo.
    -sorry this might just be too simple- but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
    Thanks..
    Yeah, that's the new form. You need to apply in person for the renewal of your passport. Photo is not needed because you would be getting biometrics in the embassy anyway and that would be used in the passport.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Copy.
    Thank You Rayna

Quote Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post

So here are the details:
    My passport expires on the 18th of Sept 2014 and is under my maiden name

I am planning to renew my passport even before it expires for two reasons:
    1. to make sure my passport has more than 6 mos. validity when we travel to the Philippines and when we get back to the UK
    2. to have my maiden name changed to my married name.

http://passport.com.ph/info/requirements/for/renewal

For spouse of foreign national who would like to use their married surname:

Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Marriage Contract from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Marriage Contract are blurred or unreadable.
    Report of Marriage duly authenticated by NSO if married abroad
    Original and photocopy of Commission of Filipino Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance (required for first time applicants or renewal of passport to be used for the first time the surname of the husband)
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    http://passport.com.ph/info/requirements/for/renewal

For spouse of foreign national who would like to use their married surname:

Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by NSO. Transcribed Marriage Contract from the LCR is required when entries in NSO Marriage Contract are blurred or unreadable.
    Report of Marriage duly authenticated by NSO if married abroad
    Original and photocopy of Commission of Filipino Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance (required for first time applicants or renewal of passport to be used for the first time the surname of the husband)
    She better use the requirements from the Philippine Embassy London's website, so it won't confused her, since she's renewing the passport here in UK..http://philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/passport
    -=rayna.keith=-

***Having a migraine now******

I would appreciate your advice especially from anyone who had gone through the same experience.

Thanks.
    Hi. My suggestion for this is for you to take painkillers as soon as you feel the signs and symptoms. If it gets worse, book an appointment to see your GP. Prevention is better than cure.
    Last edited by Terpe; 11th June 2013 at 20:40. Reason: Quote tidy up

Thread Information