Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your First Job

Your First Job

... probably not a thread for those of you who already had a pre-planned vocation mapped~out in one or other of the graduate professions.

Mine was [unexpectedly] as a lowly insurance clerk (1961-67) at the Perth Head Office of a worldwide organisation formerly known as 'General Accident Fire & Life Assurance Corporation Ltd', referred to locally as the 'GA' or 'GAFLAC'. - later, merged with Commercial Union ... in turn, absorbed by Norwich Union and, ultimately, Aviva.

How about yours???

Trusted Member
    Already had a Saturday job there, then

16-18 was Trainee Manager at a large Pet store plus Provender Merchant in York, much to the annoyance of my parents. Learned customer service, buying and selling, typing invoices and statements (we had 500 customer accounts), and accounts to trial balance for the business.

My first job was to pack the freshly printed control knobs on a washing machine into card board boxes.
    I was not however by any stretch of the imagination..A Knobjockey.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    My first job was to pack the freshly printed control knobs on a washing machine into card board boxes.
    I was not however by any stretch of the imagination..A Knobjockey.
    ... classic, Fred!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    My first job was in 1957 as an apprentice mechanic at a Roots Group dealers greasing and spraying Humbers and Hillmans was the very first thing I was taught to do on my first day, and the first car I did was a Hillman Californian!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    My first job was in 1957 as an apprentice mechanic at a Roots Group dealers greasing and spraying Humbers and Hillmans was the very first thing I was taught to do on my first day, and the first car I did was a Hillman Californian!
    ... did the foreman send his apprentice mechanic out for a tin of "elbow grease", by any chance, Michael?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    You must have been the brightest boy in the class when you were at school Arthur

My first job was spring making. In the days of manufacturing.

Banned
    I worked for my much older cousin as an apprentice paint sprayer and panel beater. ..from the summer of 76.

My take home pay per week after no tax and stoppages amounted £11.

Appreciation of money was learnt from an early age.

Qualified aged 21 in 81...I promptly gave it all up for a life on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    You must have been the brightest boy in the class when you were at school Arthur
    Alas ... not always bright enough to avoid getting caught on one occasion while scribbling down a rather dubious ... as the [female] teacher was able to - even though it'd been written in pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Alas ... not always bright enough to avoid getting caught on one occasion while scribbling down a rather dubious ... as the [female] teacher was able to - even though it'd been written in pencil.
    Oddly enough ... the teacher I've mentioned is still very much ALIVE - albeit, now in her nineties and confined to a ...

Banned
    Fat slob union bosses priced British workers out the market. .they didn't look to the horizon. ..they didn't see the take up of pauper basket case countries like our new enforced European brothers waiting in the wings rubbing their dirty little hands ready to pounce.

Oddly enough ... the teacher I've mentioned is still ALIVE - albeit, now in her nineties and confined to a ...
    ... a BIG change from when she taught ME in 1957 - at which point, she drove a canvass~topped sports car back and forth to the school I attended.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    Fat slob union bosses priced British workers out the market. .they didn't look to the horizon. ..they didn't see the take up of pauper basket case countries like our new enforced European brothers waiting in the wings rubbing their dirty little hands ready to pounce.
    I refused to buy a Foreign car, on principle.

If Brits hadn't bought them the foreigners wouldn't have had a market, and we'd have had time to sort out the trade disputes etc.

But, it seems we really like doing ourselves out of jobs.

Respected Member
    I can't remember my exact first job, but I used to do all sorts of things when I was 14 or 15, including helping local farmers with their hay making and cider making, mowing lawns for old ladies, washing cars.... all sorts! I did anything I could to get some extra pocket money.

But I don't know what kids that age do these days. I can't imagine them loading a trailer with hay bales and riding on top of it back to the barn!

The work was great for me. At that young age, it taught me the value of money and that you need to work for a living.

It's a pity that more of today's younger generation haven't learnt that lesson.

Trusted Member
    Kids on farms still do it, just that things are more mechanised now.

I used to drive a tractor and trailer on the road at harvest time, when I was 13 years old, perfectly legally.

My boy started working on Saturdays when he was 16, and on til he left school with his A levels at 18. He was also working evenings at Dominos Pizza by then though.

Both of my Filipino stepkids had jobs as soon as they could legally work (paper rounds at 13, I think it was...then working in shops).

Aww my very first job is looking after of the adults with learning disability (wake night), it's a challenging job but working with them is such a great feeling
    ADAMGRACE

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAdam View Post
    Aww my very first job is looking after of the adults with learning disability (wake night), it's a challenging job but working with them is such a great feeling
    That's an extremely worthwhile occupation ... I doff my to you for rising to the challenge, Grace.

My first job was a right blower..

Only lasted a day - I was late - got caught speeding cos I missed the bus and had to tackle my dad and borrowing his car, working in a photography shop.
    The guy who owned it was a and didnt offer much training or help, I lasted a day was given a £10 and told not to bother coming back..

Put me off working for life..

Having, for the most part, been based in warm, cosy offices throughout MY working life ... I sometimes look back and realise how fortunate I was, compared to the harsh outdoor conditions my dad endured - particularly during the bitterly cold winters of the early '60s (notably in February 1963) - when, as a middle
    aged man, he'd to battle his way through weather - complete with heavy chains fixed to the wheels of his van and a shovel on board - in order to ensure his customers living in remote, outlying rural areas received their regular grocery deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

Put me off working for life..

That's the spirit, Tone! Joking apart ... it's really good to see you back here posting again.

My first job was with PNB (Philippine National Bank) as a file clerk and also with Mc Donalds (service crew) and also some weekends at my uncles optical clinic (greeting patients) ..I am a busy teen at sixteen

Oh btw, if i can remember it right i was paid 6pesos an hour during those years hahaha at least i can afford to buy my own pair of Levis jeans , give my mum some ''little'' cash from my salary and the rest goes to my savings
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

... probably not a thread for those of you who already had a pre-planned vocation mapped~out in one or other of the graduate professions.

Mine was [unexpectedly] as a lowly insurance clerk (1961-67) at the Perth Head Office of a worldwide organisation formerly known as 'General Accident Fire & Life Assurance Corporation Ltd', referred to locally as the 'GA' or 'GAFLAC'. - later, merged with Commercial Union ... in turn, absorbed by Norwich Union and, ultimately, Aviva.

How about yours???
    My first job was as an apprentice electrician earning £4 19s 11d a week which i did until deciding to study electrical engineering at a higher level.

But the interesting bit is I gave up that career to go into computers and this eventually led me to work for Commercial Union as a programmer/analyst. I lived through the mergers with GA, then Norwich Union until AVIVA also made me redundant in 20002. Coincidence!

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I disagree. Are there Renaults, Peugeot and Citroen cars on our roads? The french workers were paid more than our workers and had longer holidays so I really dont know what your talking about. The fact is the french and germans invest in their products whereas we rely on foreign investment that is the problem.

My first job was at 14 working as a kitchen porter in a holiday camp.

My first job was a temporary one at a lampshade factory in 1959, for £2.54 a week they said I would be spot welding but it turned out to be bending little bits of wire U shape, to make little hands that were then spot welded to a figure on matchbox holders, thousands of them, they were for the Woolworth stores.

I left there after a few months then worked in a Brewery for 10 months

Then started training as a plant fitter.
    Had many jobs in my 49 years of work, mostly as a mechanic, 10 years as head mechanic for our local ambulance service.
    The best job "Retirement" and I consider I have worked hard for the state pension and any benefits I am entitled to.
    Mick.
    Last edited by mickcant; 9th June 2013 at 15:19. Reason: addition of info

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I disagree. Are there Renaults, Peugeot and Citroen cars on our roads? The french workers were paid more than our workers and had longer holidays so I really dont know what your talking about. The fact is the french and germans invest in their products were as we rely on foriegn investment that is the problem.
    The Unions wanted top dollar for second rate work. .the cars coming out of Longbridge Oxford and Swindon were rubbish. ..the French and Germans cars were and still are quite the opposite. .. admire Graham's loyalty but, if we'd all done likewise we'd still be driving car's where the windscreens popped out driving over a kerb. ..my first father in law only bought British cars. ....the times I remember him in his garage with best part of the engine spread over the garage floor while mother in law was ranting and raving at him to get the car fixed now....the cars were an embarrassment.
    Even the film industry made fun of the unions. ..do you remember the carry on film. ..the one about making toilets. ..those days are long gone, thank Goodness.

my first job was a market gardener, all weathers but in the fresh air all day stuck that for 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    The best job "Retirement" and I consider I have worked hard for the state pension and any benefits I am entitled to.
    Mick..

I left there after a few months then worked in a Brewery for 10 months

Then started training as a plant fitter.
    Had many jobs in my 49 years of work, mostly as a mechanic, 10 years as head mechanic for our local ambulance service.
    Mick.
    Good luck to you Mick!!
    You deserve it mate!! Enjoy.

I have already said the french were paid more than our workers and had more holidays. We are back on the topic of privatisation. Does it really work?. Well thats why the french and germans are better than us because their governments look after them. They have both got up to date technology in their car plants something the government invested in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information