Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm sure you can get a job soon. Don't lose hope... Good thing is your husband is very supportive... So just keep on applying girl!

As an employer can I point out how difficult it is to find decent staff these days.

You'd think that in times like these that people would want to work and would be grateful for an interview. However many cannot be bothered to find out where they need to go for interviews, some turn up so that they can continue to claim benefits (no intention of taking a job) and others find out that they will lose tax credits and so don't even bother turning up for interviews.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy n Grasya View Post

some turn up so that they can continue to claim benefits (no intention of taking a job) and others find out that they will lose tax credits and so don't even bother turning up for interviews.

Andy
    most unemployed people want to work, sure a number don't, but have you ever tried to live on £60 a week

and from the pay that some employers offer, minimum pay, no wonder they don't want to work. you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, fair days pay for a fair days work

if they are single, i don't think they would get tax creds, if they do have kids, then the pay should be enough, that they shouldn't need tax creds to survive.

london well away from those people up norf
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhars View Post
    You are not alone Rita! I also applied for a job as a receptionist and the interview sounds really great. He told me he'll phone me next day but never phoned me back.... sad.... But anyways, I never lose hope! just keep on trying !
    Did you phone back?

Firstly to hear if any news? Secondly if they say sorry ma, ask how they felt the interview went?

Very few do that with me but in a job like receptionist I would expect them to be comfortable on the phone and proactive.

Just a thought.

In interviews and the like its amazing if all the main candidates are level pegging what can make the difference.

One guy who was weaker on paper than others, got the job as he showed a forwardness and likeabilty which none of the others did. Technically he should never have got the job but he did and is a star employee with awards for his good work.

Also many people if they are going to leave a job do so soon after taking it. Worth being fresh in the mind of those who make the decisions.

agree Andy, you've got to appear to fit in. in the 80's i went for a job at BASS the brewery, it was programming fruit machines, and i thought it was going well, until he mentioned a £40 a month beer allowance, the guy had a massive beer gut, and without thinking i said i didn't drink , you could hear a pin drop. i didn't get the job

only tell them what they want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    agree Andy, you've got to appear to fit in. in the 80's i went for a job at BASS the brewery, it was programming fruit machines, and i thought it was going well, until he mentioned a £40 a month beer allowance, the guy had a massive beer gut, and without thinking i said i didn't drink , you could hear a pin drop. i didn't get the job

only tell them what they want to hear
    So your the one who couldn't organise a up in a brewery

£40 a month was a lot of money then , you would be everyday

i learnt my lesson that day, it's like playing a game of chess, keep one move ahead if you can

i tried still to apply online in line with my skilled but no company bothers to sponsor my uk visa....

its just i want to experience working with UK people...
    and see the difference between Asian, Germany and British...

and from there decide where i want to stay long hahahha...

i need loads of luck i guess...

freezing cold here grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Keep moving on...

i had an interview the other day for a carer but i turned it down bcoz they offer me a £6per hour night shift, toink!
    all things are possible!

Quote Originally Posted by vbkelly View Post
    i had an interview the other day for a carer but i turned it down bcoz they offer me a £6per hour night shift, toink!
    I get £6/hr night shift. Well, of course if you have a family here its not a good option for you that kind of shift but for a rate of £6/hr that's about right. I get £6/hr on a night shift that's all no night diffrential before we get like £1/per hour on a weekend but they abolished it Some of my colleagues still get the minimum wage of £5.73 im not sure?

So people here with brits spouse or on dependant visas count yourself lucky you can choose any job you want if there's any

one of the nursing care home i went offered me £6.50per hour day shift
    all things are possible!

Respected Member
    Yesterday I had my car washed and hoovered by some Kosovans. They did a great job too.All they do is rent a building with a pressure washer and vacuum and hey presto its a business. Some people in UK would rather claim benefits than work and try to build a future. Too many English people think they are better than some jobs and the wages, don`t become like them.
    Think of it as the first rung on a ladder.
    From there, if you`re good enough you can build a career and prove your worth.
    Hard work and initiative is worth alot to an employer.
    Also I would think that any money is better than none!

do you think if they were entitled to claim benefits they would be washing cars in this freezing weather ?

i wonder if they are paying tax and national insurance ? and are they legally entitled to work here? a car wash near me was raided by the immigration people, and they found 3 illegal workers there. the owner was fined £20,000, employers will only exploit them if the money he can save is worth him taking the risk, by paying less than minimum wage, not paying tax and national insurance and employing illegal immigrants, who have no rights and can not complain to anyone ...

Respected Member
    Obviously it`s better that they sit at home and do nothing than provide a service to us!
    And it says alot about our authorities that someone can start an illegal business in a town centre and run it for a year in full view of everybody. You`d have thought someone would have called and complained by now eh?
    We have a car wash service at our Homebase here which is the same price, can`t imagine that thats illegal too?
    Even uses Homebase signs!
    Seems i`m living in a crime hotspot!

who sits at home ? the Brit or European worker who will not work for £2 or £3 a hour ? that's what some of the 700,000 illegal workers get here .

the business doesn't have to be illegal, but the guy who owns can either pay a brit or european the minimum wage or more, or employ someone who's illegal for a half the price or less.

with the clamp down on employers hiring illegal workers with penalties of up to £10,000 for each illegal worker employed or even a prison sentence for the employer, those illegal workers will find it a lot more difficult finding work, and may well turn to crime to survive !

From what I know one of the Wifes mates at works Boyfriend is a part owner of one of the East european car washs you write of. They are all here legally at that one and get the minimum wage but are treated in a manner from what i hear which most Brits would not accept. Long hours in the cold with as much manual work as possible as opposed to buying expensive equipment or paying for heating.

I asked how you know they are all legal to the Wifes friend she said they get raided all the time!!

I also know in the past a few round our way were well know as places to buy drugs and what not. So i think many are kept a close eye on by the old bill.

not just car wash places, restaurants, farms, takeaways, anywhere that uses lower skilled labour..

you say that their legal, well the one near me obviously wasn't employing legal workers or he wouldn't have got fined £15k!

with your lord major bungling boris johnson talking about an amnesty for illegal immigrants, it will never happen, he doesn't have the power, and no british gov will do it, more people will come here illegally and wait for the next amnesty. something Spain found out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Just had 3 yrs experience as Accountant, 7 yrs supervisory, QC abroad, 5 yrs handling my own business, HOUSEKEEPING ASSISTANT in UK holiday park and now in a factory. My boss offered me to apply as QC Mgr in our company but when he found out I couldn't drive, I didn't get it Anyway, I am not choosy as I am new in this country and still willing to learn and to be trained. WILLING TO FOLLOW UK STANDARD
    Spent lots of money to have a good education in the PI and then went to UK to do housekeeeping... hay hay buhay! very ironic right? things we do for our husbands hehe...

[QUOTE=Les_lady888;53751]To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:
    1. One must know how to drive well;
    2. Better to sign up with various employment agencies;
    3. Must always have map to know the way around or should know her way around (just in case prospect office is far from residence);
    4. Must of course can speak and write good english (jeeze, I need to learn more on that )
    5. Must look smart and professional during interviews;
    6. Meet Patience and Perseverance and make sure they are always with you (oh, but I should say those virtues are innate to filipinos)
    QUOTE]

well done

Quote Originally Posted by markieFHM View Post
    Don't mention your bachelors degree or any other degree you have gained from the Phil. So when you are applying for that lowly paid job the interviewer won't be put off!!!
    yep, no one wants to employ you if you are more intelligent that the boss/interviewer, they are scared that you will take over their jobs (doh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutz View Post

To sum up:
    Language- High importance
    Self confidence- very important
    Professional attitude- important
    CV- important
    Appearance- important
    And never, never say negative things!
    If you need to say negative things, do it with nonchalance and a smile...

well said too!

Quote Originally Posted by Peanutz View Post
    Open your horizon and widen your knowledge, never get tired to enriched your self and your skills.

Go to college (UK) and enroll yourself to get a qualification here in the UK. Enroll in short term courses that will benefit you in applying jobs.

[QUOTE=itsme_iye;96867]>>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.
    >>>I don't believe that Philippine Education is so behind as compared to US, Canada or the UK standards. However, i believe that there is a "general impression" that Phil. education is not at par with their standards - this is where you prove them wrong but it won't be easy.
    >>>For those that have thought that they are over qualified - Never assume that they think highly of you. Assume the opposite and then work your way up. Once they realize your potential, things will be easier because they will now view you as "one of them".
    >>>Even in the Philippines, being competent in the English language will open a lot of opportunity for you.
    >>>Never think that the interviewer is being intimidated by you if you have a good education back home. It's the other way around - NO British experience.(this is for first timers seeking for a job). You just need to stumble upon that company that will take its chance on you.
    >>>And lastly, it is not true that our Education in the Phils is not recognized. It is just that it won't be the basis in hiring but still they will look into your CV if you had studied and what course.QUOTE]

again all have been said are all true!

having a good educational background/has got a very high educational attainment will not always guarantee you to secure a job in the UK but it will help you in the future (once you already have the job) your experiences, skills & knowledge will be very helpful in doing your daily work because you have already got the edge in your chosen field.

UK vs PI Educational attainment Compared
    Infant School - Toddler School
    Preschool - Preschool/ Kindergarten
    Primary School - Elementary
    Junior/Senior School - Highschool
    College - VOCATIONAL COURSE!!! short term 1month - 2yrs schooling (Baking, Cosmetics/Beautician, Photography, Sewing, Basic Engineering, Basic Bookkeeping

University - College 1st-4th year!!!!
    Doctoral/Masteral/PhD - Same

hmmmm...
    back in the PI we sometimes look down on those people who have not taken College degrees like BS Accounting, BS Engineering, BA in ENglish, BS Teaching or have just finished vocational degree: Mechanics, Refrigiration, Technician, Plumbing (college equivalent in the UK)...

SO made you think?
    Is it really worth it to finish 4-5 years in College just to get that Bachelors Degree Diploma (having unnecessary subjects which are very irrelevant to your Course: Social Arts, Homeroom, Philosophy, Psychology, Pscychiatry, High Maths, Physical Education, Typing, Love Courtship & Marriage, Religion and others)?
    Or are those who have finished Vocational Courses are more clever coz they took the straight to the point courses?

not just car wash places, restaurants, farms, takeaways, anywhere that uses lower skilled labour..

you say that their legal, well the one near me obviously wasn't employing legal workers or he wouldn't have got fined £15k!

with your lord major bungling boris johnson talking about an amnesty for illegal immigrants, it will never happen, he doesn't have the power, and no british gov will do it, more people will come here illegally and wait for the next amnesty. something Spain found out the hard way.
    I know severla places have ilegal workers but i think many of the ones near us have been turned over so often and the jobs market has slowed down now that they have no need for ilegals.Many are now prepared to do the work, i now see Indian and african workers in the car washs as well as those who could well be Brit or western european.

Our Boris who i think is doing ok, hes not the lord mayor of the city of london thats the other one no body ever knows the name of.

I think Brois is one of those who has too many ideas sometimes. He does have a point no way are all of them going to be deported it would take to long and cost to much. But then no way can you be seen to condon coming here breaking the law.
    As he pointed out his duty is to be the voice of london as well as havings some powers in London.

Who does manchester have as mayor or leader, or are they silll waiting for democracy up there

[quote=Jay&Zobel;101376]Spent lots of money to have a good education in the PI and then went to UK to do housekeeeping... hay hay buhay! very ironic right? things we do for our husbands hehe...

[quote=Les_lady888;53751]To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:
    3. Must always have map to know the way around or should know her way around (just in case prospect office is far from residence);
    4. Must of course can speak and write good english (jeeze, I need to learn more on that )
    6. Meet Patience and Perseverance and make sure they are always with you (oh, but I should say those virtues are innate to filipinos)
    QUOTE]

well done

yep, no one wants to employ you if you are more intelligent that the boss/interviewer, they are scared that you will take over their jobs (doh!)

well said too!

Go to college (UK) and enroll yourself to get a qualification here in the UK. Enroll in short term courses that will benefit you in applying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    >>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.
    >>>I don't believe that Philippine Education is so behind as compared to US, Canada or the UK standards. However, i believe that there is a "general impression" that Phil. education is not at par with their standards - this is where you prove them wrong but it won't be easy.
    >>>For those that have thought that they are over qualified - Never assume that they think highly of you. Assume the opposite and then work your way up. Once they realize your potential, things will be easier because they will now view you as "one of them".
    >>>Even in the Philippines, being competent in the English language will open a lot of opportunity for you.
    >>>Never think that the interviewer is being intimidated by you if you have a good education back home. It's the other way around - NO British experience.(this is for first timers seeking for a job). You just need to stumble upon that company that will take its chance on you.
    >>>And lastly, it is not true that our Education in the Phils is not recognized. It is just that it won't be the basis in hiring but still they will look into your CV if you had studied and what course.QUOTE]

having a good educational background/has got a very high educational attainment will not always guarantee you to secure a job in the UK but it will help you in the future (once you already have the job) your experiences, skills & knowledge will be very helpful in doing your daily work because you have already got the edge in your chosen field.

College - VOCATIONAL COURSE!!! short term 1month - 2yrs schooling (Baking, Cosmetics/Beautician, Photography, Sewing, Basic Engineering, Basic Bookkeeping

hmmmm...
    back in the PI we sometimes look down on those people who have not taken College degrees like BS Accounting, BS Engineering, BA in ENglish, BS Teaching or have just finished vocational degree: Mechanics, Refrigiration, Technician, Plumbing (college equivalent in the UK)...

SO made you think?
    Is it really worth it to finish 4-5 years in College just to get that Bachelors Degree Diploma (having unnecessary subjects which are very irrelevant to your Course: Social Arts, Homeroom, Philosophy, Psychology, Pscychiatry, High Maths, Physical Education, Typing, Love Courtship & Marriage, Religion and others)?
    Or are those who have finished Vocational Courses are more clever coz they took the straight to the point courses?
    An Excellent post

I would echo that English skills are vital. If unsure what you want to do basic computing skills are useful as so many jobs in the UK involve computers even working in a coffe shop the wife used to have to use a PC. While in many work enviroments PC's are quite rare.

Even if I compare say the Wifes local Town hall to a british one. Every desk in the UK has a PC in Phill i cant rember seeing one from my quick walk though.

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post

An Excellent post

I would echo that English skills are vital. If unsure what you want to do basic computing skills are useful as so many jobs in the UK involve computers even working in a coffe shop the wife used to have to use a PC. While in many work enviroments PC's are quite rare.

Even if I compare say the Wifes local Town hall to a british one. Every desk in the UK has a PC in Phill i cant rember seeing one from my quick walk though.

Salamat po! ENGLISH ENGLISH ENGLISH!! made me think to take IELTS hehe...doh! i'm rubbish in taking tests! hehe i havent took the Life in the UK test yet hehe..doh!

I flunked CPA Board! Certified Public Accountants' Board exams in the PI hehe... But hehe, my boss said: i should be paid higher than what im earning now? lol (hehe, ooops sorry a bit arrogant there... lol)

so Miss Penny is indeed overqualified in her present job... hay hay buhay (sigh sigh life)

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    Who does manchester have as mayor or leader, or are they silll waiting for democracy up there
    people power that's what Andy, remember ollie Cromwell

peeps in Manchester are voting on the congestion charge !, its funny to see first buses have put 'vote yes' on the back of every seat on all their buses, all the £$£%% thru the door, telling us to vote yes, one sided campaign, but peel holdings, owners of the Trafford centre have got 'vote no' signs everywhere around the Trafford centre.

from the local newspaper were told most people want to vote yes !!!! hahahaha, sorry my smilies icons are not werking, need to reboot pc,,

like %$%%^£%£$ most want it, i think it will be a big NO vote,, and bye bye charge !! :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    I flunked CPA Board! Certified Public Accountants' Board exams in the PI hehe... But hehe, my boss said: i should be paid higher than what im earning now? lol (hehe, ooops sorry a bit arrogant there... lol)
    your not the only one to flunk CPA, my misses brother did to, but he has no excuse, as his mom is head of accountancy at Palawan state uni !

many people are over qualified for the job they do, my misses is more qualified than her manager and many she works with, even Brits are over qualified to do the job they do, but you have to start somewhere (bottom of the ladder) and work your way up ..

just keep trying.. :o)

Talking

your not the only one to flunk CPA, my misses brother did to, but he has no excuse, as his mom is head of accountancy at Palawan state uni !

many people are over qualified for the job they do, my misses is more qualified than her manager and many she works with, even Brits are over qualified to do the job they do, but you have to start somewhere (bottom of the ladder) and work your way up ..

just keep trying.. :o)

YEAH, DEFINITELY! hehe thank you po!

My classmate in Highschool & College who's always the TOP STUDENT: got the highest honours: ELEMENTARY& HIGHSCHOOL:VALEDICTORIAN,
    COLLEGE: SUMA CUM LAUDE hehe Flunked the CPA Board! Now heehhe tell me, is education really matters? hehehehe funny

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jay&Zobel;101376]Spent lots of money to have a good education in the PI and then went to UK to do housekeeeping... hay hay buhay! very ironic right? things we do for our husbands hehe...

[QUOTE=Les_lady888;53751]To sum it up, I can see from your posts that getting a Bachelors Degree in Phils wont easily make u get a job in UK....so the following should also be taken into consideration:
    QUOTE]

well done

well said too!

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    >>>Having a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, much more a job that you like. Majority of the work depends on the individual, the degree is just something to beautify you.

hmmmm...

SO made you think?

brilliant post.

why don't you take the exam here ?

i thought it is internationally recognised ?

why don't you take the exam here ?

i thought it is internationally recognised ?

hehhe that's the thing i hate studying lol

but i have viewed the Accounting courses here... but i have already taken them in the PI... (same thing- basic accounting, financial accounting, managerial & others) and huhuhuhu i dont want to take it again.. hehe..
    maybe someday...

ok...
    i have finished Bachelors in Accountancy (3.5yrs) and all were undertaken: basic accounting, financial accounting, managerial & others

but here,
    it is completely different. you can choose whatever field or specialiciation that you fancy. choose 1 or 2 or all... but in the PI it is not the case...

Hi guys

The manager sent me an email and apologise for not ringing me and he ask me to come for a second interview. I went and today they offered me the job!

COngratulations po! Keep us posted!

Respected Member
    Congratulations!
    I take it you`ll accept the job?
    That`s a nice boost before xmas!
    Well done.

Banned
    Hi guys

The manager sent me an email and apologise for not ringing me and he ask me to come for a second interview. I went and today they offered me the job!
    Thats great.! goodluck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information