Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Philippines quincentenary 2021

Only 8 more years and the Phils will become 500. I bet the festivities will be something special.

Happy birthday Philippines in advance! Hope to be living there by then.

Good luck with you future plan's to live here in the Philippines.

This puzzles me. Why would the indigenous/native population want to celebrate the event as they were here long before any European?
    It is like saying the Romans discovered the UK as there was no written language before they arrived. Happy Roman Year!
    Last edited by jake; 28th May 2013 at 13:24. Reason: sdt

After further thought i have come to the conclusion that the church and politicians are going to enjoy this event

Thanks Jamie for spoiling the year 2021 for me and 8 years before the actual date!

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    This puzzles me. Why would the indigenous/native population want to celebrate the event as they were here long before any European?
    Seeing that Magellan introduced Christianity to the Philippines in 1521 and the current population is mainly catholic, I think that is pretty obvious.

My apologies for any distressed caused btw.

Jamie my remark was tongue in cheek. I know the obvious!

Still do not understand why people would want to celebrate the 'discovery' of the Philippines by Magellan and his bunch of merry men.

How did they spread the christian word? By using force to make people convert.

Many of the problems affecting the nation today are caused by the catholic church pushing its weight around.

Like I said, it signifies 500 years of Christianity and also it's the birth of the Philippines as we know it today. Not sure how Magellan went about it but from what I've read he immediately became friendly with a Cebu chieftain who accepted the faith unlike Lapu-Lapu the chieftain of Mactan Island who reportedly was a muslim. Lapu-Lapu then went into battle with Magellan's heavily outnumbered men, defeating them and subsequently killing Magellan in the process. Both have shrines on Mactan Island and Lapu-Lapu has a city named after him.

If anyone is interested the British Empire also has some interesting history with the Philippines, and at one point could easily have taken full control of the country from Spain.

Additionally and more recently (March 2013) there was a good deal of trouble in Malaysia with the so called Royal Army of Sulu.
    Anyone remember that?
    Seems they claimed to be clan members of the Sultanate of Sulu in the southern Philippines, which ruled parts of northern Borneo for centuries, and then demanded that the Malaysian government pay even more money to lease their land.
    Anyway as an historical interest the British Empire (and British Companies) also has a finger in that pie too.

For anyone interested well worth doing the research.

BTW as always, all about politics, power and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If anyone is interested the British Empire also has some interesting history with the Philippines, and at one point could easily have taken full control of the country from Spain.
    I believe they were in control of Manila for a couple of years.

Thread Information