Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: CNI help needed

Newbie (Restricted Access)

CNI help needed

Hi all i have searched the site but cant seem to find the right information,

when applying for the CNI at the embassy in manila will i require a CENOMAR from the NSO or will my divorce decree be sufficient in obtaining my CNI?
    i previously obtained a CNI before from the british embassy when i married in the philippines, i divorced in the UK.
    any advice would be appreciated

hi matt, if you are going to phil for a short period , purpose to get married, it will save time if you get your cni here in uk, take it with you to phil, exchange it for philippine version which takes i think 10 days, the uk cni takes 21 days, and is valid for 3 months, but if you dont get from uk it will take longer than 10 days in phil to aquire it,

there is plenty info on the forum about cni if you search, search for cni , or marrage in philippines,anything related, then you should find ok

i think CENOMAR from the NSO depends on where your getting married, maybe you can ask your fiancee to ask for the local requirments where you will marry

perhaps, one of the better informed members can enlighten you better, and correct me if i am not quite correct

here is a link may help you on your way, i found them in search for you just now,

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....+marry+in+phil

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....198#post390198

Banned
    when i married in the philippines, i divorced in the UK.

can you clarify this please? was your UK divorce recognised over in the phils?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    when i married in the philippines, i divorced in the UK.

can you clarify this please? was your UK divorce recognised over in the phils?
    theres a good point

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Thanks for your comments imagine and bigmac,
    @bigmac.. i only follow the rule stated in article 26 of the family code of the philippines which states me as the foreigner filing for divorce in my home country means that the divorce is valid and recognised ( i was the petitioner) we married in 2010 in Q.C. and i filed for divorce in the UK in 2012 whilst she was residing in the philippines i may add. As far as i know the NSO needs to have their records updated and im still trying to work out whether it is the filipino national that has to update the records via recognition of a foreign divorce, or whether i need not bother at all. I read on the british embassy website that its possible they may ask me for a CENOMAR which will state i am married although its recognised that i am divorced. It just a matter of updating records however the NSO will only accept a decree in the phils courts (recognition of foreign divorce) to be able to amend the NSO records.

mattluzon,
    This is the latest information from the British Embassy

There's no legal requirement for you to secure a CENOMAR to exchange your UK CNI for a local one.

The authorities issuing a marriage licence may request you to supply one though.
    Better check with the authorities where you will marry.

In any case it's not a major issue for you to regularise things with NSO as you'll have a UK divorce absolute and a Philippine CNI
    You'll not need to go through all the legalistics.

I'm sure you know the CNI is a Certificate of No Impediment (sometimes called Legal Capacity to Marry)
    This certificate provides evidence to officially authorised people that the marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in both Philippines and the country of the foreign spouse.
    A valid CNI is required by Philippine law.

A CENOMAR ( Certificate of No Marriage Record) is available from the National Statistics Office (NSO) and is simply what its name implies.
    It is a certification issued by the NSO stating that a person has not contracted any marriage within the Philippines.

Im sure if you married in the Philippines and divorced abroad it is not reconised here in the Philippines. Others will tell if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Im sure if you married in the Philippines and divorced abroad it is not reconised here in the Philippines. Others will tell if im wrong.
    You're wrong.

If you’re a Filipino national, it doesn’t matter where in the world you file for divorce (ie as the Petitioner), such divorce is not recognised as valid in the Philippines. Period.
    (It should be be noted however that the reckoning point is not citizenship at the time of marriage, but the citizenship at the time a valid divorce is obtained abroad by the petitioner)

If a foreign national files for the divorce (ie as the Petitioner), and has given the Philippine spouse a registered copy of the final divorce decree, both foreign national and the Philippine spouse can remarry again within the legal boundaries of the Philippines.
    The Filipino national must first comply with the procedure in having the foreign decree of divorce judicially recognized in the Philippines, then may validly remarry.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    You're wrong.

If you’re a Filipino national, it doesn’t matter where in the world you file for divorce (ie as the Petitioner), such divorce is not recognised as valid in the Philippines. Period.
    (It should be be noted however that the reckoning point is not citizenship at the time of marriage, but the citizenship at the time a valid divorce is obtained abroad by the petitioner)

If a foreign national files for the divorce (ie as the Petitioner), and has given the Philippine spouse a registered copy of the final divorce decree, both foreign national and the Philippine spouse can remarry again within the legal boundaries of the Philippines.
    The Filipino national must first comply with the procedure in having the foreign decree of divorce judicially recognized in the Philippines, then may validly remarry.
    Thanks terpe...that is correct
    I am also very mindful giving my advice on this issues..as we may all know we have to consider all the legalities ..there is "no divorce in the Ph" ...we need to know the citizenship of the OP at the time of divorce..we need to know who filed the petition..has it been granted..where did the first marriage took
    place...any divorce decree been served...
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Dear Mattluzon, can you Private message me? im in a similar situation to you that im previously married in the Philippines. Have my divorce here in the UK and will re-marry in the Philippines. Its very frustrating because different provinces and different people say different things. From what I understand is that I can re-marry in the Philippines. As long as the province that I will marry doesnt ask for a cenomar then the marriage license will be approved. Then can simply exchange it for the NSO marriage certificate after which will be valid at the british embassy. The issue with NSO records not being updated I guess is not my problem, and i guess it may be a problem if you wish to reside in the Philippines as may add complications. But if you bring your spouse to the UK it doesnt matter. Plus i think the petition for divorce is only applicable for the filipino national if they go back to the Philippines and want it recognised so they can remarry there. I think that is disregarded by the foreigner. But I would like to hear from you to just make sure 100%.. Can the moderators allow me to send private message? I think I dont have the ability to do that yet. Thanks

Thread Information