Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar

Everything about Marriage

Hi again! Sorry for posting a new thread. I posted about Fiancee Visa before and now, my boyfriend and I are thinking of getting married here because an official from our municipal hall offered help to us, of course it will be under the table. But the problem is, about British Embassy here in the Philippines. Since my fiance cannot stay here for more than 6 days, obviously he cannot personally apply for marriage license especially in requesting for CNI.

Is it possible that I can get his CNI in British Embassy? and collect all the requirements then apply for Marriage License alone?

The short answer is no. He has to attend the Embassy with his CNI to get the local version. He can pre book an appointment with them for the day he arrives but he has to attend.
    I think you need to sit down and sort out a proper plan with your partner as what you are talking about here is not possible. I strongly urge you to do everything by the book and not get involved in anything that you may later regret.
    The British Embassy are fully aware that you cannot get married in the Philippines in 6 days and you would be seriously jeapordising any future visa application.

Under the Table=Corruption=Rejection.
    Life is short, live it.
    Love is rare, grab it.
    Anger is bad, dump it.
    Fear is awful, face it.
    Memories are sweet, cherish it.

That's pretty tough. Thank you for the answers, also thinking of getting married in Hongkong.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    I advise you not to rush things jentobeharrison as things might go wrong and you will regret it. Like what arjie and bigmarco are trying to say FOLLOW THE RULES as THESE RULES are the only way for you and your boyfriend to be together. Dont make a big wrong step on doing anything under the table or whatsoever as I ASSURE YOU that YOU will see trouble in the end. Thats a piece of advise. No offence intended. Good Luck with your plans, Love.

Yes I am also considering it. I am just also thinking of the bigger picture. Thank you very much for the advice.

Stay legal or you will regret it

Quote Originally Posted by Jentobeharrison View Post
    That's pretty tough. Thank you for the answers, also thinking of getting married in Hongkong.
    Given the circumstances you describe I'm sure you'll find that option worth thinking about.

This is not true because my girlfriend managed to get my CNI exchanged for a local one at the British Embassy in Manila in advance of my arrival. If you cannot apply for the marriage license in advance then why would they issue the legal capacity if I'm not there in advance of my arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemanila View Post
    This is not true because my girlfriend managed to get my CNI exchanged for a local one at the British Embassy in Manila in advance of my arrival. If you cannot apply for the marriage license in advance then why would they issue the legal capacity if I'm not there in advance of my arrival?
    The CNI has been previously secured under the law in UK.
    Philippine law states that any CNI from say UK MUST be issued by the British Embassy. So in principle it's only an exchange. No personal appearance needed and no affidavits to be executed.

Lovemanila, are you stating as a fact that the marriage license can be issued without the two parties being present?
    As I understand it that's has never been the case.
    (well unless you engage the services of a canny well connected lawyer who manages to implement one of the only legal ways to get married without a license.

Can you clarify where you information come from?

Is it possible that I can get his CNI in British Embassy? and collect all the requirements then apply for Marriage License alone?
    Hi. I know the answer to your question is NO. But I know somebody who's able to get his fiance's CNI exchanged at the British Embassy without the bloke's personal appearance, i.e. due to the fact that she has a friend who works there. It's unfair for all of those who doesn't know somebody. These people should stick to the rules. Well, that's Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by marga View Post
    Hi. I know the answer to your question is NO. But i know somebody who's able to get his fiance's CNI exchanged at the British Embassy without the bloke's personal appearance, i.e. due to the fact that she has a friend who works there. It's unfair for all of those who doesn't know somebody. These people should stick to the rules. Well, that's Philippines.
    As others have stated......your fiancee can secure his UK CNI from UK and it can be exchanged for local (Philippine) CNI at the Embassy by you. He does not need to be present.

However, under Philippine law there must be 10 days between application of the marriage licence and the issue of the licence. Legally you must both be present.

Without appearing to 'flog a dead horse' this is made "Just for the record."

The CNI is a Certificate of no impediment (sometimes called Legal Capacity to Marry)
    This certificate provides evidence to officially authorised people that the marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in both Philippines and the country of the foreign spouse.

A valid CNI is required by Philippine law.
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office states:-

You should check with the authorities in the country where you are marrying whether they can accept the CNI as issued by the UK registrar or if it must be exchanged for a locally acceptable version (ie. a certificate in the local language) issued by the British Embassy or Consulate
    From Article 21 of The Family Code of The Philippines:-

When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.
    In connection with the Marriage Licence the Executive Order No.209 (The Family Code of the Philippines)

States:-

Art. 17. The local civil registrar shall prepare a notice which shall contain the full names and residences of the applicants for a marriage license and other data given in the applications. The notice shall be posted for ten consecutive days on a bulletin board outside the office of
    the local civil registrar located in a conspicuous place within the building and accessible to the general public.
    This notice shall request all persons having knowledge of any impediment to the marriage to advise the local civil registrar thereof.
    The marriage license shall be issued after the completion of the period of publication.
    Just for completeness it goes on to state:-

Art. 20. The license shall be valid in any part of the Philippines for a period of one hundred twenty days from the date of issue, and shall
    be deemed automatically canceled at the expiration of the said period if the contracting parties have not made use of it.
    The expiry date shall be stamped in bold characters on the face of every license issued.
    The highlighting was done by me and does not appear that way in the Family Code.

There are always 'under-the-table' ways to circumvent the rules.....but often these can lead to difficulties further down the path.

Hong Kong marriages are pretty trouble free.....suggest you do some research as it might help if you both find time pressures too difficult to manage.

To get married in the Philippines will take minimum 14 days. Having said that, not so many folks have actually achieved but it has been done. Not recommended.
    Without good planning, you may not actually get your marriage licence within 10 days.
    Maybe that 10th day lands upon a holiday or a weekend when the office is closed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

To get married in the Philippines will take minimum 14 days. Having said that, not so many folks have actually achieved but it has been done. Not recommended.
    Without good planning, you may not actually get your marriage licence within 10 days.
    Maybe that 10th day lands upon a holiday or a weekend when the office is closed.
    We did over a 21 day holiday, with 2 days to spare.
    The planning was meticulous to say the least. Every day had an agenda. ..exhausting!
    I was on the flight back home 2 days after the wedding. ...seemed surreal. Indeed, not normal. I wouldn't do it that way again, given the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by marga View Post

Hi. I know the answer to your question is NO. But I know somebody who's able to get his fiance's CNI exchanged at the British Embassy without the bloke's personal appearance, i.e. due to the fact that she has a friend who works there. It's unfair for all of those who doesn't know somebody. These people should stick to the rules. Well, that's Philippines.
    Actually that's not correct.
    It's perfectly in order that he does not need to personally visit the Embassy to collect the local CNI.

The British Embassy instruction clearly states:-

...you may authorise a representative to submit the application and collect the local CNI on your behalf.
    Many folks here in the forum have followed that route.

Thread Information